Anybody using Ignite Vice One compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vice One Virtual Analog Compressor

Couldn't find it mentioned in the forum before?

http://www.ignitevst.com/product/vice-one-vac-windows/

Looks like the full version will ship free with CM next month.

Is this Carlo Castellano (AudioThing) once again?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Design looks familiar indeed yes

It's not just that - it's the price, the relative low number of relatively basic features, the vendor being some dubious producer of ghetto-style, low-intellect sample content, etc.

a shame - I think he's actually talented.

IF it is him - it's just a suspicion at this point.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Issue soon out

Since it's free with CM this month (which, happily, is part of my overarching Magzter app subscription), I look forward to checking it out too.

I heard a YT demo of it and I, personally wasn't impressed ... sounds too crushed in a bad way and the punch has a cheep "digital" sheen... I can't believe people praise it with positive comments in the video... maybe they like the drums?! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5V3vM8tlUo

Made me think of NI Supercharger GT , seems in the same "league" more or less but significantly better quality on the GT..

Sounds quite good in the vid - I like the lookahead.

Do you think this will be with the magazine for this issue only or end up in the Vault from here on?

MogwaiBoy wrote:Sounds quite good in the vid - I like the lookahead.

Do you think this will be with the magazine for this issue only or end up in the Vault from here on?
Hi MogwaiBoy,

Vice One is now apart of the CM plugins collection. So yes it will be available in future from the vault and not just with issue 233.

jens wrote:Is this Carlo Castellano (AudioThing) once again?
All our plugins are developed in house, we don't sub contract to 3rd party developers.

First impressions: I just tried it on a drum loop in Reaper and compared it to Waves Renaissance compressor. With similar settings and about 5dB reduction on both comps, Vice One is more aggressive than Ren. Could be useful for some stuff, but it didn't help this particular drum loop - Ren sounded much nicer to my ears. I'm guessing Vice might be good on some bass guitar tracks - will check later.

Vice has no readout for attack, release or makeup amounts - it's strictly ears only, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, it can be useful to know how much of these settings is being applied.

There appears to be a slight lag with the metering - I hear the transients slightly before I see them. This is not so with Ren. Adjusting the "Look Ahead" setting makes no difference to this.

Saturation is subtle and I don't find it useful. Some will probably like it though.

It uses more CPU than Ren - about twice as much - but that shouldn't be a problem as it's still pretty low.

Verdict so far: It's a nice giveaway (I have the CM version), but I can't see it replacing anything I currently use.

Kudos to Ignite VST for sharing it though.

Andywanders wrote: First impressions: I just tried it on a drum loop in Reaper and compared it to Waves Renaissance compressor. With similar settings and about 5dB reduction on both comps, Vice One is more aggressive than Ren. Could be useful for some stuff, but it didn't help this particular drum loop - Ren sounded much nicer to my ears. I'm guessing Vice might be good on some bass guitar tracks - will check later.

Vice has no readout for attack, release or makeup amounts - it's strictly ears only, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, it can be useful to know how much of these settings is being applied.

There appears to be a slight lag with the metering - I hear the transients slightly before I see them. This is not so with Ren. Adjusting the "Look Ahead" setting makes no difference to this.

Saturation is subtle and I don't find it useful. Some will probably like it though.

It uses more CPU than Ren - about twice as much - but that shouldn't be a problem as it's still pretty low.

Verdict so far: It's a nice giveaway (I have the CM version), but I can't see it replacing anything I currently use.

Kudos to Ignite VST for sharing it though.
Thanks for sharing your impressions and verdict so far.

Vice One was certainly not designed to replace compressors that people are currently using but more as a compliment for certain situations/signals. Vice One was designed to have a particular flavour and sound to distinguish it from many other compressors. As you have noticed it is not overly precise, no time markings on attack and release ect. We designed it as more of 'musical' compressor than an ultra clean and precise compressor that you would use for everything. We find it works very well on vocals and bass. For a cleaner more snappy response try the digital mode.

#TeamIgnite

Numanoid - Thanks for the link.

Return to “Effects”