working on a tonal chaos generator vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, looks and sounds great Architeuthis.

(Thread marked)

New video exploring scream and growl with the chaos generator. Lots of gnarly sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1zcsIK ... e=youtu.be

:hihi:
Wow.
:party:
ImageImageImageImage

Not really an update, but I found a cool piece of software to generate oscilloscope images that look more like the real thing and so I was inspired to make something for halloween. For oscilloscope software click here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOuA9Rw ... e=youtu.be

If made in JUCE it will be multi-touch ready.
Now it will be up to Architeuthis to make it touch friendly.

One suggestion:
Allow the sliders panel to be horizontal so the sliders can be
easily manipulated up and down with multiple fingers.

hmm... "The sliders panel"... Kalamata Kid could you explian more in depth what you are expecting? I can't imagine a GUI that would feature mostly sliders. I was thinking of an interface similar to Adam Szabo Viper and Vengeance Avenger... I can imagine some sliders for certain parameters. But... a lot of parameters will need a special GUI component such as the filters and EQ, it would be nice to see the frequency curve. The multipoint envelopes will be graphs... Actually, it would be nice if most of the GUI is neither knob or slider, but some kind of graphical representation that will help the user better understand what is going on.

Of course, for a performance page (where you can create your own set of macro controls) I'd definitely like to offer slider or knob or X/Y pad or whatever else is easy to throw in.

Architeuthis wrote:hmm... "The sliders panel"... Kalamata Kid could you explian more in depth what you are expecting? I can't imagine a GUI that would feature mostly sliders. I was thinking of an interface similar to Adam Szabo Viper and Vengeance Avenger... I can imagine some sliders for certain parameters. But... a lot of parameters will need a special GUI component such as the filters and EQ, it would be nice to see the frequency curve. The multipoint envelopes will be graphs... Actually, it would be nice if most of the GUI is neither knob or slider, but some kind of graphical representation that will help the user better understand what is going on.

Of course, for a performance page (where you can create your own set of macro controls) I'd definitely like to offer slider or knob or X/Y pad or whatever else is easy to throw in.
For real-time music performance:
The sliders in the "panel" on the right in the video above if they are multi-touch (or 10-touch) should be vertical to make it easier to use as the sliders move up and down. This is to make multi-touch user friendly so you can move two, three or more sliders simultaneously. Single or two sliders can be horizontal for left-right, morphing, etc.

Architeuthis,

You may be on to something. For some sorts of music you may be already there.
For me I like beautiful interesting sound so will be glad if you head in that direction.

I had started a thread in 2015:
Fractal waveform virtual instrument
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6031956
You may find it interesting.

I love the idea of fractal waveforms. It is something I've been trying to achieve with the chaos generator at times. I wish I could unite fractal and chaotic waveform generation. It is something I want to explore as soon as I figure out how to explore it. I am hoping that with the right features I may stumble upon fractal waveforms with the chaos generator. I am not done adding features to the chaos generator, there's an endless number of things you could feedback into another thing to generate chaos... I'm trying to keep my head on straight and add features that seem the most obvious and relevant before I go crazy and try something off the wall... like adding a spectral delay in the feedback path... I'm going to have to try that at some point.

I am glad that you are excited about what you are doing.
Gives me hope that something big may come out of all your work.
I am sure you have thought of features well beyond what I may suggest.
But let me try anyway.

I like the idea of using your fingers directly on the Chaos mess to
manipulate the sound.

Could you do something like Iris that allows you to select parts of the
waveform but in the Chaos Generator to select parts of the chaos mess.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/cre ... /iris.html
Guessing here if the result will be musical but this will add one more
level of control.

Ah, be careful. Those Strange Attractors will drive you crazy.

Iris allows you to select spectrally and in time. What kind of selection are you thinking? If you have a chaos mess then you have a number of options to stabalize the chaos. Do you mean you want to sample a short portion and play it back like a wavetable or granular synth? There will be ways of playing back a specific moment in time with the chaos generator, like a retrigger or sync feature... I just thought of another way of playing back a specific instant in time... you could take a snapshot of the internal state of the plugin and retrigger that state rather than just resetting everything to 0 on retrigger/sync.

I do want wavetable functionality in the chaos generator because there's a lot to explore in terms of oscillator shape. Right now I can only switch from sine/tri/square/saw; the switch causes drastic changes so I want to implement a way of morphing rather than switching at some point.

For me the important thing is the audio result.
I like unusual sounds that are fat and warm.
I like ambient music.

I would like a hands on real-time manipulation.
Include some type of keyboard to play? But knobs
and sliders will do. An xy pad or several xy pads will be great

I like a randomizer but in your Chaos Generator this may not be important?

"short portion and play it back like a wavetable or granular synth"
not a bad idea!

"wavetable functionality" this seems like a good idea.

Absynth has a course adjustment and a fine adjustment for each parameter.
This might be especially useful to the Chaos generator.

How about the Chaos generator being a VST fx rather than an instrument.

It seems that you have many ideas and my suggestions are like a small subset
of where you are heading. Just ignore my ideas if they do not make sense.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am sure you have thought of this.
Use several Chaos Generators at once that are somehow linked with each other.
Control them with x-y pads.
Create some movement with some internal automation?

Kalamata Kid, what exactly do you have in mind for linking multiple chaos generators? You just want to be able to control multiple presets/instances in one window?

Kalamata Kid, you inspired me to attempt to get some fractal sounds. So I made a video. 2nd part of the video has more of a fractal patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwyfMx2 ... e=youtu.be

Here's one I shoulda included in the video:

http://www.elanhickler.com/_/chaosgen/t ... veform.mp3

Hello Architeuthis,

Your videos show that you off to a good start.

I am not that knowledgeable on what you are doing
to be more specific.

What is important to me is that the I have multi touch control of
Chaos mess
x-y pads
Vertical sliders
Keyboard and not necessarily black and white keys.

But the most important is that the sound is musical.
Thick, warm, complex, unusual and has movement.

To freeze an interesting sound.
resample?

The reason I wrote the fractal thread was in my mind that fractals
have an infinite detail. So if one can make fractals look like a
waveform then detail can be added to the waveform to do all kinds of crazy and not
so crazy things to make it musical.

Return to “Instruments”