"nonspecific dissatisfaction" - new instrumental by dysamoria

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For anyone that might like to have a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/dysamoria/nonspe ... n-9-6-2016

Any comments welcome. Thank you for your time :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

That had a wonderful balance of almost peaceful ambience with a lingering sense of tension throughout. I really enjoyed that - the melody, the different sounds and textures. Nice work!

Thank you, neverwhere2410. i appreciate your comment. It suggests i may have attained my musical goals with this one :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Nonspecific dissatisfaction is the story of my life. :)

The composition is simple but the performance and recording gives it depth and weight. It doesn't sound at all sterile or computerized.

The bass in the second half was a bit heavy causing vibrations in my room.

The lower pitched vocals at the end were a nice touch. There were also possibly some quieter higher pitched vox(?) that may be off key.

Hold and release.
Very dense atmosphere, simple but dramatic.
:tu:

Cheers

Frantz wrote:Nonspecific dissatisfaction is the story of my life. :)

The composition is simple but the performance and recording gives it depth and weight. It doesn't sound at all sterile or computerized.

The bass in the second half was a bit heavy causing vibrations in my room.

The lower pitched vocals at the end were a nice touch. There were also possibly some quieter higher pitched vox(?) that may be off key.
Yes, you're hearing some higher pitched vocals in there too. i generally like to go for a broken down feel, but i hadn't specifically set out for the vocals to be off key. i'll have to watch for that next time i listen to it.

My control of the bass is always questionable, as i do not have a sub and i have an acoustically incorrect environment to work with. i think most of it flows down into the floor from the monitors; the stands aren't loaded with sand as they're meant to be (because they'd never contain it and i am unaware of a way to buy tiny sand bags), plus there's carpeting (which at least helps cut down on the annoying high freq room reflections). i haven't tried this track on my other sound systems (like living room or car) yet.

Thank you for your ears and your comments, Frantz :-) Much appreciated!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Laguna Rising wrote:Hold and release.
Very dense atmosphere, simple but dramatic.
:tu:

Cheers
Thanks for listening and sharing your comments. i like that: "hold and release". That works for me :-) Cheers!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Nice tune. I Really liked the way the track build up towards the end. Great work!

Enjoyed this. It has a great sense of drama. Great sounds and flows nicely (in my headphones).
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I'm definitely into a dramatic sound ;-)

Thank you for listening and commenting, idSubmerged and Allomerus :-) Much appreciated!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So to address the following:
Frantz wrote:Nonspecific dissatisfaction is the story of my life. :)
Mine is pretty specific, but I was hoping to open this track to more listeners than just myself. I'm glad you felt a sense of identification with the title. Or maybe I should be sad that you do :-(, (?) ha ha :-)
Frantz wrote:The bass in the second half was a bit heavy causing vibrations in my room.
I had some booming in my living room, too, though it bothered me less than the vibrating CRT (yeah, I still have one of those; there is one note in several keys that triggers a metallic ring in it, probably resonating the tension mask wires). Any advise on which frequency range this is happening in for your listening room? My studio space isn't doing it for me.
Frantz wrote:The lower pitched vocals at the end were a nice touch. There were also possibly some quieter higher pitched vox(?) that may be off key.
On my last two listens, I'm comfortable with the vocals here. It's the singing in some of my other songs I'm more concerned about, ha ha... But I still appreciate this feedback.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

It's got a NIN vibe for sure, but also a Pimpf feel too, especially with the vocals coming in later. Nice build-up via the use of volume and the introduction of the distorted cello? in each section. The combination of different sound sources works well. I'm not dissatisfied.

Good work :)

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Frantz wrote:The bass in the second half was a bit heavy causing vibrations in my room.
I had some booming in my living room, too, though it bothered me less than the vibrating CRT (yeah, I still have one of those; there is one note in several keys that triggers a metallic ring in it, probably resonating the tension mask wires). Any advise on which frequency range this is happening in for your listening room? My studio space isn't doing it for me.
It made a filing cabinet vibrate in my room vibrate. I have very little free time to investigate this and, even if I did, you have not provided a download link.

There are a couple of things you could try on your own:

1. High pass the bass at 30-40 Hz.
2. Lower the bass volume in the second half.

seismic1 wrote:It's got a NIN vibe for sure, but also a Pimpf feel too,
Yeah, I'm heavily influenced by NIN and, since it's my favorite thing to listen to, and because I want to create stuff I like to listen to, i kind of end up following along with Trent Reznor's different eras of sound (my favorite being The Fragile).

It's a point of concern that, once I hit on something I feel strongly about, should I purposefully try to make it NOT sound NIN-influenced? I don't have my own sound, just like I never had my own art style. I'm not working on music 7-days-a-week, and I don't have the luxury to explore my curiosity, so I don't know when I'll ever develop my own sound. My own sound was originally cheerful cheese and that's so not who I am :-D

I only know Pimpf as a Depeche Mode song title. Is that what you meant?
especially with the vocals coming in later. Nice build-up via the use of volume and the introduction of the distorted cello? in each section. The combination of different sound sources works well. I'm not dissatisfied.
I'm satisfied that you're not dissatisfied :-) I'm trying to draw from wider sound sources intentionally, so I'm glad it works here for you. I wish I had more acoustic instruments instead of just synths. I have a drum kit and two good microphones, yet the kit sits packed away and can't be used in my row house, for example :-(
Good work :)
Thank you :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Frantz wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
It made a filing cabinet vibrate in my room vibrate. I have very little free time to investigate this and, even if I did, you have not provided a download link.

There are a couple of things you could try on your own:

1. High pass the bass at 30-40 Hz.
2. Lower the bass volume in the second half.
Thanks for the further detail on the frequency issues. I'll give it a look. Normally I cut those frequencies on all tracks at the beginning of the chain, but something might've been generated down the line. I appreciate your limited time :-)

Sorry for not providing a download link. I'm still holding on to a tiny hope of controlled and formal publishing some day. Naive of me. Also, I forget that soundcloud is limiting on where it can be used by people.

Frankly, soundcloud sucks a lot, but it's also quick for sharing to non-technical listeners. I'm used to using my iPhone as a plug-in aux sound source around my house and in my car, and I sometimes forget this convenience isn't universal.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”