OrilRiver - great Room/Hall reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OrilRiver

get it here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/orilriv ... is-tihanov

pretty impressed by the quality... one of the best free reverb plugins to date if you ask me! Big Up! :tu:

Windows only I believe.

Fleer wrote:Windows only I believe.
looks that way, though 32 & 64 bit if that's any consolation. :)

Sounds great after a small play, very smooth tail.

Very Nice reverb. Thanks Denis.

Good find! Sounds very nice indeed and with very low cpu hit. This is a keeper. Thanks!
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Excellent freebie!

Thank you very much Dennis :)

Thanks, sounds good.
Small issue: the level of E.R. is a bit low.

GaryG wrote:
Fleer wrote:Windows only I believe.
looks that way, though 32 & 64 bit if that's any consolation. :)
Quote from the kvr product page:
OrilRiver is a free algorithmic reverberation plugin available in VST2 format for Windows (in the future it is planned to develop for Mac).
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Will check. I salute the dev :party:
no sig

Excellent reverb. Very transparent sound that easily competes with expensive commercial products, ultra-low CPU usage (far better than everything else I tried).
Improvement suggestions:
  • Add modulation (Depth/LFO frequency). Ideally 2 LFOs for L/R channels with slightly different rates for maximally lush results...
  • Boost ER level by +6 dB. It's very low right now relative to to Dry/late reverb signals.
  • The effect of diffusion seems quite subtle.
  • There is currently always an audible gap between direct/ER signals and the point that late reverb kicks in, even with small room size values. It should be possible to have the late reverb tail start immediately.

another one for the improvement suggestions:

-different scaling (exponential?) for the EQ freq control, especially for the mid freqs.

karrikuh wrote: [*]There is currently always an audible gap between direct/ER signals and the point that late reverb kicks in, even with small room size values. It should be possible to have the late reverb tail start immediately.[/list]
If you wish to minimize this gap, use “variation 1” for the tail and set room size to “0.00”. It can sound metallic [1], but will almost immediately make the sound audible in the main reverb tail.

[1] Reverb geek alert: As I understand things having read a lot of Sean Costello’s / ValhallaDSP’s writings, if you give the allpass filters more time to diffuse the signal, such as having a lot of them in series, things sound less metallic, but it takes longer for the reverb to build up. Sean finally figured out how to solve this problem in Valhalla Plate, but the solution is a trade secret.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

caulixtla wrote: If you wish to minimize this gap, use “variation 1” for the tail and set room size to “0.00”. It can sound metallic [1], but will almost immediately make the sound audible in the main reverb tail.
Hmm, doesn't work for me. Regardless of which tail variation I use and the diffuse/room size/decay settings, the late reverb tail only start to builds up after about 40-50 ms, tested with a dirac pulse and oscilloscope.

3ee wrote:another one for the improvement suggestions:

-different scaling (exponential?) for the EQ freq control, especially for the mid freqs.
Oh yes, missed that, I totally agree. All pots controlling frequencies should absolutely have an exponential mapping.

I hope the dev is reading this as these seem all like things that are easy to fix, but make all the difference in practical use. Anyway, thanks a lot giving this away for free!

karrikuh wrote: Hmm, doesn't work for me. Regardless of which tail variation I use and the diffuse/room size/decay settings, the late reverb tail only start to builds up after about 40-50 ms, tested with a dirac pulse and oscilloscope.
Yes, 40-50 ms is about how long a traditional digital reverb needs to build up a nice clean diffuse reverb tail. For Denis to reduce the time it takes for the reverb tail to build up, he will have to compromise the sound quality, as Sean describes in great technical detail here: http://valhalladsp.com/2011/01/21/rever ... artifacts/ (Sean subsequently figured out a way to solve this problem for Valhalla Plate, but the solution is a trade secret) Indeed, Variety Of Sound’s epicVerb has a similar problem but it’s one of the most popular free reverbs.

If Denis fixes the bug with the early reflections being too quiet, this will minimize how noticeable the long tail build up is, since people will then actually be able to hear the early reflections which give the sound a sense of reverberation until the tail gets a chance to build up a nice diffuse wash.

One workaround is to either turn the volume of the tail down so the early reflections can be heard more clearly, or to run a second convolution reverb in parallel with OrilRiver with a fairly short impulse response (even a short 50ms burst of white noise would work) to have something there while the main tail builds up. Of course, running a convolution reverb like that defeats one of OrilRiver’s advantages: It’s really light on CPU.

(Edit Parallel, not series, for the second convolution reverb. Unedited post)
Last edited by caulixtla on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

Return to “Effects”