THE Psytrance thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kobal wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:39 pm i don t know how to use the forman shift, can you give me some tips , i will try it again right now , i didn t use it much yet.
I mean this kind of stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ErBXKoZdQ

You may download Virus Ti wavetables here https://www.adamszabo.com/vstplugins/viper/
import them into Rapid and use the exact same one. The actual working parameters in Rapid will be very different and you won't get the exact same sound but you may find somewhat similar sonorities

here's my attempt in Rapid, not really the same sound but somewhat similar.
https://vocaroo.com/14CRnAzGOK37
kobal wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:39 pm so far i think it s similar to serum like you mention but with a warmer timbre , it make me think a cross between serum and a virus in term of sound caractere. it s less thin sounding than serum and less razor sharp.

some of the fx are very good and well suited for psy as they can go easily in experimental theritory and can be used like part of the synthesis more than just like fx ,i mean just a saw into a filter going into the fx could lead to very well suited psy sonds, i think it s one of the big plus of rapid, the fx section used creatively and not just for usual delay verb phaser ect
Agree with all that, sonically it's indeed somehow inbetween Serum and Virus (I have all three)

It can do the classic trance stuff just as well
https://vocaroo.com/1hlk97N9DkXb
kobal wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:39 pm it s also good for psy bassline but for best result i think its better to use a well suited saw multisampled into rapid and not wavetables
Yes, it think it must have all the necessary features for the psy bassline, but I routinely use my own multisamples I prepare form Sylenth with some processing. Never really attempted making bass in Rapid.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

thanks very nice ! i never got something half decent out of the formant shit , i will try after watching the video and with the wavetables i will post if i get a good result, i like your attempt as much but it seems it doesen t work totally like the one on the virus , it s less formant.

i made similar sound to the video with a wavetable and formant shift but usually i do these leads differently but thanks a lot it lead me to cool stuff where i can exploit that formant shift , it s seems very good modulated to bend the wavetable and using this to fm a other osc slighty so it bend and get fmed nicely. it s seems like a very good use of it

kobal wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm i like your attempt as much but it seems it doesen t work totally like the one on the virus , it s less formant.
Yes, it seems that formant shift in Rapid works differently to the Virus, less "formant" as you say. It's possible to make them somewhat similar, but only in some narrow range. But it's a nice effect on its own
kobal wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:56 pm i made similar sound to the video with a wavetable and formant shift but usually i do these leads differently but thanks a lot it lead me to cool stuff where i can exploit that formant shift , it s seems very good modulated to bend the wavetable and using this to fm a other osc slighty so it bend and get fmed nicely. it s seems like a very good use of it
Yes, there are many different ways to make these leads, of similar stuff (I often use Sync in serum), and indeed Rapid allows you to make different PM configurations and you may combine that with other WT effects. The possibilities are endless here.

I think the general idea behind such sounds is to use random triggers on some synth parameters (the wavetable effects are the most obivous target) in combination with slow LFOs controlling the same or other synthesis params and the note length/decay. Formant shift, PM, sync, mirror or even just the WT morph - you just find the ranges where modlualting them gives some interesting timbral and textural changes and set up your modulations so that the sound would randomly morph within these ranges.

yes i had no idea what it is but in fact it just change the timbre of the sound from low to hight wihtout changing the pitch..i tested it more and it work good with vocal wavetable , but it might be also good to make more natural sounds by changing slighty the timbre of the body or the attack part.
made a few riser with it, as it dosen t change pitch from low to high it might be well suited for sound that bring tension or to release it i guess

i have some plugins doing that as fx like soundtoys i will check the difference in sound.

For the love of oldschool melodic fullon, I think this deserves more listens

As cheesy as it gets - and very good, melodic and uplifting :) I miss this kind of stuff today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELoQwtJiNs

I briefly knew the guy from our local music-making forum about 10 years ago (he was only using Reason then, and probably on this album as well).

Just thought I'd share this brilliant new video from Futurephonic -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tmeChr7ec

There's stuff in here that could be useful for any genre if you're making your kicks with Kick 2 or similar. Could be a paid for tutorial as far as I'm concerned (though it's an obvious nod towards buying the Kick 2 presets pack - which I certainly will be!) Ady Scorb is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys you could ever meet :)

I got into Psytrance via mainstream Psytrance, then Tribal, then all dark styles, 90-s Goa.
Firsty i could not listen to Suomisoundi and Nitzhonot. Yet lately i listen only to Suomisoundi and Nitzhonot :ud:

I know Psytrance isn’t for everyone, but Trance that’s been really well-produced with a mixture of melody and tons of ear-candy can be very infectious on the dance floor.

I was immersed in early Industrial and Synth Pop music and that eventually led me to various styles of house and trance, including Goa, Psytrance, Progressive, etc.

I was seduced by the intricate rhythms, all kinds of futuristic-sounding synthesizers, drum machines and the utter abuse of Emu and Akai samplers of the day.

Racks of effects processors pushed the instruments and vocals into completely new sonic territory. That’s why I never got into playing video games like most of my friends.

Any spare time or money that I had would always go towards my music. Seeing groups in their prime such as Eat Static and Shpongle still stands out as some of the best live electronic shows I’ve experienced.

The atmosphere and vibe of the crowd at those shows is something I’ll never forget. It’s no wonder that so many people flock to raves and festivals. They used to provide a sense of community with the music being the glue that held everything together.

Hi guys, I just wanted to share some stuff I came up with this afternoon.
https://soundcloud.com/ray_d8/psy-kick- ... al_sharing
short version: I made a psytrance kick + bass combo using only Ableton's stock stuff and LFO tools from Xfer. Hopefully someone can find it interesting? (Project file is also attached)

TLDR story: So I recently started considering sliming down my arsenal of plugins, and basically re-discover some stock instruments/effects of Ableton. I think I somehow entered a phase where thinking about what plugin to use is kind of distracting. So I start by re-designing some of the sounds I use a lot in my tracks with only Ableton stock stuff (+ minimally 3rd party plugins).
I think this is actually quite inspiring... I actually made a kick sound using just operator that sounds better than some of the stuff I made with Metrum and Kick 2. And the bass, well, I finally discovered that the secrete to that plucky sound is multi-band processing (not so much processing needed, just splitting the sound into multiple bands gives that percussive transient), and obviously slamming three otts will get the job done.
Anyway, I have also attached a ableton project file containing the kick and bass if anyone is interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trance, Trance Is Life

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”