Harm Visser sounds for Tassman vs Reaktor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to purchase one of Harm Visser's physical modelling soundsets/construction kits. Both his Reaktor and Tassman sets sound pretty convincing. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have both Tassman 4 and Reaktor 5 so I can buy either of them. I just need some advice. I don't think it's possible to demo them in any way, other than listening to the online sound examples. The Tassman set is a little cheaper ($169 vs $189 for the Reaktor Toolbox).

A few years ago there were some free HV patches for Tassman on the AAS site.

They were brilliant in their use of things like modwheel activity for bowing velocity on string patches.
If you plan on using the included instruments as the basis for further building I'd lean towards Reaktor as the Tassman 4 builder interface is wretched.

Winstontaneous wrote:A few years ago there were some free HV patches for Tassman on the AAS site.
Still is:

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/tassman/extras/

I have the Tassman set and love it - some of the best physical modelling available still. Not sure about the Reaktor set, they looked a bit less polished to me so I never bought them but I do agree from a builders' POV Reaktor is better.

I had both Tassman and Reaktor when I purchased the HV set for Reaktor and I did break them open and do my own things with the bits and bobs - man, was that fun. I would open them up right now if I had them here. Plus Reaktor is just a bit easier to work with; Tassman Builder needs a big overhaul despite the recent polishes. To be honest, it was the crappy look of them which caught my attention.. if they are happy to spend time on the engines instead of the interface, there must be something there!

After a while I kind of regretted not buying the Tassman set; its physical modelling algorithms sounded very different to HVs use of mode resonances in Reaktor, neither of which I can fault for 'realism'. Having said that, the Reaktor version can be properly broken (in the sense that the values which describe the nature of the models can be quite easily manipulated.. in realtime) which, due to the way Tassman obsfucates some of the model parameters from realtime play, is a touch more fun,

I was actually on the HV website a few weeks to see if I could tempt myself into buying the Tassman set, and although there are more instruments, as far as I can see at a quick glance, and I really want to get back into Tassman again as we anticipate ANY DAY NOW an announcement from those clever chaps at AASHQ.. wallet said 'no'.

If I had the cash though, I'd probably get the Tassman set now.

I would suggest mucking around with the free Tassman thing aMUSED linked above, seeing if they satisfy your modular tendencies, and if you want something I can only describe as 'a little more', get the Reaktor set.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has both and can give some more details.

CinningBao wrote: I was actually on the HV website a few weeks to see if I could tempt myself into buying the Tassman set, and although there are more instruments, as far as I can see at a quick glance, and I really want to get back into Tassman again as we anticipate ANY DAY NOW an announcement from those clever chaps at AASHQ.. wallet said 'no'.
Not sure if he's added anything new for years though, I used to get regular updates but not for a long time.

Also it appears you can buy HV individual instruments for $8-- but DigitalRiver charges everyone 19%VAT and their Checkout doesn't show my Country's correct States so I was blocked from buying one-- but YMMV. OTOH Tassman has many blown, bowed, plucked, bell, string, mallet and organ acoustic PM instruments.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thats handy, Ive never logged in before and seen thats theres a single file that will install all your registered products in one go :)

Ive only been a registered user since 2003 lol
Amazon: why not use an alternative

CinningBao wrote: I really want to get back into Tassman again as we anticipate ANY DAY NOW an announcement from those clever chaps at AASHQ.. wallet said 'no'.
Are you saying there is a new version of Tassman coming? Or are these just rumours as before?

Aah, I have no inside information unfortunately, I'm just going on the dribs and drabs which appear in conversations here.. They have said in the past it will happen, and folks here have observed the release of the various other products (updates to UA and Chromaphone, and SS I think recently) against their entire product range, and come to the conclusion it won't be long until we have Tassman5.

Ultimately I was saying it sardonically, because we don't actually know, and typically, they give us no idea of their plans.

BTW Harm Visser's web site listing the Tassman sounds says "The price of this growing bundle is $169." I guess that statement is 9-10 years old, and no sounds have been added since then. Don't buy it based on the belief that more will be added.

are his softsynths discontinued?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

the website has now gone :-(
I really wanted to get the synths for my Korg Oasys-PCI
does any one here have a contact email for him?

I checked a couple of months ago so its fairly recent
Amazon: why not use an alternative

szurcio wrote:
CinningBao wrote: I really want to get back into Tassman again as we anticipate ANY DAY NOW an announcement from those clever chaps at AASHQ.. wallet said 'no'.
Are you saying there is a new version of Tassman coming? Or are these just rumours as before?
I think I read somewhere that AAS gave up on Tassman for good. Regrettable, I know :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

I did a sound design for several of the synths in the Oasys Bundle (and others) for Harm Visser and I was surprised to see his website is down. I posted to the yahoo OASYS PCI group to see if anyone there have an email where to reach him. I'll post back here if I hear anything.
SpongeLab wrote:the website has now gone :-(
I really wanted to get the synths for my Korg Oasys-PCI
does any one here have a contact email for him?

Return to “Instruments”