Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

gentleclockdivider wrote:
AnX wrote:Roland have never made a good digital synth. I cant believe ppl are falling for this retro shit, especially emulations of crap from the 90's.

Noisey, crap fx, crap build, crap sound. But hey, thats what the 90's were all about, and some ppl will buy anything :lol:
I'd say , look beyond the presets and start rolling your own .
But you obviously never even seen a jv in action , let alone touched one .
Mighty don solaris demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoYylo7nS4&t=578s
I love that guy's patches. And his videos too. :D

SLiC first you dismiss
Just because Roland made some good hardware synths in the past doesn’t mean they are any good at writing modern DSP code, frankly I find the VSTs to be fugly CPU hogs (I only use them loaded in my system 1m). There are endless examples of modelled Roland stuff (in Diva for example) that sound just as good if not better with better workflow, cpu use and interesting reimagining.
then you register 3rd mailbox in order to try "fugly CPU hogs" yet again and you praise
I just demoed again (3rd email address :D ) and have to say that I am impressed by how much they have reduced the CPU use, just need to update the GUI's now so that are not blurey on the older VSTs and its a nice collection. Not sure I need anyhting thats on offer, retro digital romplers are fun for a while (nostalgia) but modern instrumnts like Omnisphere 2, Falcon with UVI banks etc have gone some way beyopnd the origonal romplers and to me sound better and are more flexible. All in all though the amount of content may well be worth the yearly asking price if you want the old Roland back catalogue.
so make up your mind already do you like them or not, don't mess around. there must be a reason why you are still here, keeping busy with these "bad" Roland synths. you could just stick to Diva, but you didn't. speaking of Diva, it's CPU consumption levels and GUI are questionable at best. obviously, third-party Diva Volta skin is much better than stock.

high cpu consumption can be reduced, blurry gui can be fixed, but no one's gonna teach Roland how to make Roland synthesizers, period. I'm here for Roland Cloud synths made by Roland, and if you don't like them and you're not really interested, please go elsewhere.
Last edited by devPp on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Here are screenshots of the 12 edit pages in the Roland Cloud JV-1080 plugin:

Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

damn it Ingo! but damn it KVR, actually. we really could benefit from a spoiler code right here..

devPp wrote:SLiC first you dismiss
Just because Roland made some good hardware synths in the past doesn’t mean they are any good at writing modern DSP code, frankly I find the VSTs to be fugly CPU hogs (I only use them loaded in my system 1m). There are endless examples of modelled Roland stuff (in Diva for example) that sound just as good if not better with better workflow, cpu use and interesting reimagining.
then you register 3rd mailbox in order to try "fugly CPU hogs" yet again and you praise
I just demoed again (3rd email address :D ) and have to say that I am impressed by how much they have reduced the CPU use, just need to update the GUI's now so that are not blurey on the older VSTs and its a nice collection. Not sure I need anyhting thats on offer, retro digital romplers are fun for a while (nostalgia) but modern instrumnts like Omnisphere 2, Falcon with UVI banks etc have gone some way beyopnd the origonal romplers and to me sound better and are more flexible. All in all though the amount of content may well be worth the yearly asking price if you want the old Roland back catalogue.
so make up your mind already do you like them or not, don't mess around. there must be a reason why you are still here, keeping busy with these "bad" Roland synths. you could just stick to Diva, but you didn't. speaking of Diva, it's CPU consumption levels and GUI are questionable at best. obviously, third-party Diva Volta skin is much better than stock.

high cpu consumption can be reduced, blurry gui can be fixed, but no one's gonna teach Roland how to make Roland synthesizers, period. I'm here for Roland Cloud synths made by Roland, and if you don't like them and you're not really interested, please go elsewhere.
As I mentioned, I have a Roland system 1m in my modular so own some of the plugs to plug out. I bought the plugs, no issue with cpu when plugged out....but they were horrible cpu hogs and fugly when released (I don’t think anyone disputed that), I prefer the newer release GUIs and like I said, cpu use is now much better ....it was fun to try them again but I don’t think I personally need any 90s romplers....certainly not enough for subscription, but I remain open minded and will keep trying the stuff periodically (sorry if that bothers you)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

gentleclockdivider wrote:
AnX wrote:Roland have never made a good digital synth. I cant believe ppl are falling for this retro shit, especially emulations of crap from the 90's.

Noisey, crap fx, crap build, crap sound. But hey, thats what the 90's were all about, and some ppl will buy anything :lol:
I'd say , look beyond the presets and start rolling your own .
But you obviously never even seen a jv in action , let alone touched one .
Mighty don solaris demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoYylo7nS4&t=578s
1. I bought a 1080 when it came out, and sold it promptly. (More money than sense in those days)

2. I ALWAYS roll my own. No interest on other ppls sounds.

beely wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:That said, I think people do forget how much criticism there was of 90s romplers.
Criticism of romplers yes, but this was mainly the inflexibility of the *true* original romplers of the time - the U110/U20/Proteus type of thing, which were basically sample playback machines with a few adjustable envelopes - not that inspiring. Later ones, with true synthesis engines, were a lot more useful and flexible, and the 1080 at the time sounded good and had great polyphony so was a bit of a sequencing powerhouse.
No disagreement that the 1080 was more useful and predecessors, but, the same can largely be said for generations since. It's still a mid 90s rompler with all of the associated limitations.

However, my comment was not meant to be dismissive of all use cases of all 90s romplers. I still own several of them, I just don't find much need for them anymore. One man's "true synthesis engine" is another mans outdated DSP engine. YMMV and all that.
ghettosynth wrote:From Roland's POV though, this (old digital clones) is probably a better way to sucker people onto the Roland cash teet. I honestly don't understand the mind of the purist collector.
Or maybe some people just like things you don't like, and vice versa. I like my XV-5080, but not for trumpets and pianos and other short rompler multisamples etc, but because it's a great sounding engine with a particular character I like, flexible, and with lots of voices.
Of course they do, but that doesn't mitigate my statement. Again I'm not talking about appreciating a particular character or aesthetic, but this need to maintain a purist collection that seems to dominate in these types of threads.

Maybe you read my statement incorrectly, I think that this is probably a good choice for Roland. People have been clamoring for useful workstation plugins and there aren't very many choices. That this might be a good product choice doesn't rise to the level of supporting the idea of subscription though.

My reference to collectors was about the inevitable clamoring for every digital emulation based on rather subtle distinctions between outdated DSP models. If you're looking for a JD800 in software, this is probably a good choice. I doubt that will stop people from demanding a purists JD800 emulation though.

As I mentioned, I have a Roland system 1m in my modular so own some of the plugs to plug out. I bought the plugs, no issue with cpu when plugged out....but they were horrible cpu hogs and fugly when released (I don’t think anyone disputed that), I prefer the newer release GUIs and like I said, cpu use is now much better ....it was fun to try them again but I don’t think I personally need any 90s romplers....certainly not enough for subscription, but I remain open minded and will keep trying the stuff periodically (sorry if that bothers you)
you understood my point. you make contradictory claims. you either like it or not. you don't dismiss and praise all the same.

either you are interested or not. if you don't like it and you're not interested - stick to what you like.

I know why am I here and know what I want. I am here for Roland synths, not for Diva, Xils, TAL or otherwise. not so sure about you.

also, not all Roland Cloud synths are 90's romplers. you are obviously interested in some of these synths, that's why you stick around. so if you stick around and you don't stick to, say, Diva, which is a fugly CPU hog in its own right (ever tried Divine mode?), don't dismiss Roland for the same reasons. it's not fair.

man the editing pages seem so convoluted, i feel overburdened....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:man the editing pages seem so convoluted, i feel overburdened....
I don't think that they're that bad, they seem very Roland-ish. But, this does relate to my point earlier, it's not a JD800 in hardware. The value of the JD800 is largely in the great U/I. This is not that.

Sound Generator D-50 Compatible LA (Linear Arithmetic) Synthesis
Seriously, a D-50 expansion is going to be awesome! :)

Simply a full D-50 engine being able to use all the waveforms, filters and fxs of the JV-1080 plugin. Also vice versa, a JV-1080 plugin with LA oscs, gritty samples, vintage digital filters and fxs of the D-50. Which supposed to be a very simple things to do. Can't stop thinking about the posibilities, it's going to be one of a kind.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Caine123 wrote:man the editing pages seem so convoluted, i feel overburdened....
Indeed. And, if i imagine that i had to program that from the pure hardware interface, i feel completely overburdened. Guess they had some kind of external hardware programmer for it (or did they?).

I hear a lot of familiar sounds in the Don Solaris demo BTW.

chk071 wrote:
Indeed. And, if i imagine that i had to program that from the pure hardware interface, i feel completely overburdened. Guess they had some kind of external hardware programmer for it (or did they?).

I hear a lot of familiar sounds in the Don Solaris demo BTW.
No, not for the 1080 AFAIK. They gave up on that after the D50 IIRC. At some point everyone had a computer in their studio even if it wasn't doing audio and so you could use tools like Sounddiver.

devPp wrote:
That Diva Volta skin is well done but the stock UI is "questionable at best"? Diva stock is consistent. Volta? Not so much.

Just spent a while listening to YouTube vids of these cloud synths. They sound fantastic. It’s rare I think for analog emulations to have the beefy bottom end, snappiness and smooth high end of analogs that especially Roland was good at. Arturia have that nice top end but not the other two. Diva has the first two but the top end isn’t quite right all the time, not to me. I especially don’t like the DCO (love the Moog and ms-20 parts though). The Tal 101 is excellent but this Roland 101 seems to have the bigger bottom end.

I might have to give this a try. This just seems to nail it. I wish diva did it for me as for as Roland stuff as I’d love the Roland Sound with mpe. Bazille actually gets close.

Can you still buy the first ones outright? Or are they all only cloud now?

Return to “Instruments”