chaos oscillator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Getting into a bit of a trance tweaking the controls. :ud: Very interesting sound.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I started moving to 64 bit yesterday (I guess I was one of the last 32 bit holdouts) so I'll be quiet on this for a while as I reinstall/reauthorise everything (so much everything) and figure out how to get jBridge working. Will get back on this and check out the new version ASAP.

state of these vst is like this.

my monitors are packed up, could be the end of winter before i set them up again. maybe next week. dunno. but i need to do that before i do any significant patching, so these vst may be revisited in march or april if not next week. i haven't much idea how the stereo algorithms are et c. so it will be exciting for me.

there's another one i built yesterday :hihi: will upload this evening. in between black and outer, kind of like a cheap knockoff of outer.. just a different rotation scheme really but cheaper implementation. makes roughly the same kinds of sounds *except it loses the fundamental* - cpu is often significantly lower than black so while it is timbrally so similar to the others (you can hear them all devaluing as i write this) my thinking is, similar sounds, less cpu, and atonal = worth keeping for percussion sounds. and basically i'm also enjoying demonstrating to the modern vst community that interesting, useful synthesis algorithms can happen in a heartbeat.

the idea i have with the new one "angle" is that using 2d rotation in 3d, tilting a circle on an axis in a sphere produces two divergent frequencies .. at full rotation, the higher frequency is 1.414x the (absent) fundamental. i haven't wrangled anything from there so far and wrapped this idea up to stop thinking about these methods for the time being, .. goal is to generate spectra from these two frequencies with "spherical" relations and see if anything interestingly circular membrane-like can be elicited.

a neat thing i'm seeing a lot in angle is, lp or bp filtered feedback inhibits aliasing as the signal stops before nyquist, so pitch sweeps sound clean (despite being totally noise) eg. all the frequencies go in the same direction. i think black and outer are capable of generating bright spectrum that will go past nyquist tho.

now that i've been watching and listening to these feedback synths for a couple weeks, i'm starting to discretise some of the behaviours.. one thing i see a lot, that "growly" sound people like, is the appearance of partials halfway between the integer harmonics... increasing modulation produces these in power of two... one, two, four, eight partials appearing between harmonics.. into noise. at one or two they sound pretty typical techno. i should also add as a footnote to the topic, once more, gratitude for the open source "zero delay" filters from robin schmidt and neotec.

these rotation methods have given me experience with harmonics propagation that will take a while to process. some different things occured. :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

here's the last one of these things then,

http://xoxos.net/temp/angle.zip

this is excellent for when you want to patch something meaningless :) just twist the dials, have no clue what they mean. certainly do not expect any pitched timbre to be in tune.

i was thinking percussion but the strongpoint of this vst seems to be "things that sound like electronic jungle animals".
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:...i think black and outer are capable of generating bright spectrum that will go past nyquist tho.

i'm starting to discretise some of the behaviours...

...that "growly" sound people like...partials halfway between the integer harmonics..

will take a while to process....
You sound like when I first started exploring digital feedback systems. The growly sound is the result of phase-locking where, when between harmonics, it chaotically tries to phaselock to the previous and next harmonic. You go from fixed-point attractor to... not. But that's probably the obvious bit. Also these chaotic feedback systems seem naturally resistant to aliasing, but more dependent on sample rate, sound-wise.

You should post audio demos of some of these things.

I don't know if this has any truth to it but I believe there is a failure of digital synths which comes from a failure of NOT spending enough time with brute-force discovery. We should be working within the world we are trying to discover (i.e. create a digital feedback system with little regard for physics/electricity, then it's just a matter of time: throw away undesired behaviors, isolate desired behaviours, rinse, repeat until you've isolated something worth sharing with the world). In other words, create a digital synth by working within the digital world and all its limitations. We've clinged to physical and analog examples of how things should work. So my chaos project is all about that [bass...no...shutup] brute-force discovery process that seems largely missed.

Edit: So, I guess what I'm saying is, once the world starts releasing digital synths that just sound great first (and how they work is arbitrary/secondary), then digital will deliver on its promise to replace analog. That's my theory; Soundemote is putting it to the test.

Edit: So, xoxos, maybe you are feeling some of what I'm feeling? :tu:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Cytomic is doing some great things bringing the analog to the digital, but I think it's a difficult route to take involving too much concern with "how things work".

Edit: Wow, ok, 4th edit... uhh... just want to be more specific, digital will never replace analog, but I think digital will at least be an alternative, like, you'll be able to say "what filter should I use today, this great analog filter or this other "also-just-as-great-but-ultimately-different" digital filter?" I think we're just starting to get there. In other words, the difference between analog and digital will become equivalent to the difference between two things analog. The arguments [A vs D] will be over and we can finally be free to "simply choose what sounds better for the project" and not think we are getting a lesser result if we choose digital.

well we don't sell people things they don't know they want as we can't control what that would become. development and innovation may extend beyond points of reference and then it becomes difficult to remain informative.

but localised reference does need some semantic for exploration so who knows, push it if you can get it. i'm officially fringe, unintelligible and whatever else sticks. i am a lucky cowboy. let me tell you why.

i think a lot of experienced people generally agree with what you're saying. there's a difference between depicting or representing novelty and being locked in that big room at the end of raiders of the lost ark.

but yes we should be further ahead as a population, lots of interesting synthesis happening outside the commercial venue. these vst are less complicated than a filter slapped on the feedback path of a 1980's 4 op yamaha. we should be levels past this. we're not. there's reasons.

demo audio.. survived another day. wake early tomorrow to drive a sandpro around golf bunkers. it's kind of like, i get to be the oscillator. most bunkers have a lip, like a rossler. but i can do lorenz in them or a woolworths.

kind of buggered finding the settings for that last piece in the video.. i think freq2 was .5 and freq3 at .3 (2 octaves lower).

will selflessly keep these synths bumped on the front page until friday, give people a fair chance to find them, because it's the only way that's going to happen :)

not a bad deal, imo black may well be my finest synth to date, outer and angle aren't bad for their cultivars either. thanks for looking!

thursday bump for these four useful, free vst :)

here's a free kick drum synth as well.

http://xoxos.net/vst/bongkick.zip

that's five useful and free vst and you are going to ignore this thread and never mention xoxos vst in case someone accidentally benefits.

Thank you. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

cheers, it kinda feels weird you posting about synths :hihi:

set my monitors up :D best of the set -

http://xoxos.net/temp/recharge.mp3

http://xoxos.net/temp/electriceyeliner.mp3

i am a robot i am a robot :)

set and forget patches, no automation, to see what it does. kicks are bong kick, and some heavy eq. snare in recharge uses the rnd pulse lfo for glitch and variation. electric eyeliner progresses through three variations of a patch. here's your aural aerobics.

folks is working hard to get these threads off the front page :hihi:

download these four free synths, listen to the last post, have a fun time :) eg. black has a bit of a learning curve to getting the good stuff out of it, but it's in there.

adds.. as a footnote to the post in the other thread about the connection between fractal and chaos methods, back in the early nineties my mate (dear god the page will stop loading so i can type) my mate worked overnight shift in a copy shop. we used to make loads of flyers and paste them all over the place as the FCC, fractal chaos collective. catchy ideas back then. guess i finally made good on the name.

turns out the music is an orthogonal sketch of everything i thought about that day :)

discovered black (and possibly outer but angle is gtg) needs a cap on the feedback filter q. if you set it to max and stack an envelope on it accidentally the audio crashes. normally these filters don't explode from that.

thanks for the video!

Return to “Instruments”