WaveRazor ADSR curve shape

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

So I bought the WaveRazor after being at SuperBooth and checking it out. Great stuff.

But there's one thing I've noticed about it: The shape of the release is linear. Now, this may seem like an obvious default choice, but in fact the ear perceives a linear fade-out as rather odd. I believe this is because most natural fade outs in nature (e.g. two objects hitting each other) are something that resembles logarithmic far more.

Having made multiple experiments with decay and release curves for my own plugins, I've come to the conclusion that even x in the power of two (x^2) sounds sort of stiff and unnatural and similar to the linear fade-out. I would suggest using something like x^3 or x^4 as the default for both decay and release, as this sound far more natural to the ear.

For the attack time, linear works pretty well, or you can even use sqr(x).

Examples of synthesizers with similar and well-sounding ADSR curve shapes: Oberheim SEM and Arp Odyssey (and the Korg version also does it well).

I believe the proper ADSR tweaking is coming with the full release so maybe (fingers crossed!) there'll be options between linear and log/curved release shapes then...

Hello again @JoaCHIP! When the full editor arrives, the shapes of the envelope stages will also be editable. Under the hood, we have many shapes possible for each envelope stage, along with various amounts of exponential and/or logarithmic scales.

r_mok wrote:Hello again @JoaCHIP! When the full editor arrives, the shapes of the envelope stages will also be editable. Under the hood, we have many shapes possible for each envelope stage, along with various amounts of exponential and/or logarithmic scales.
Do you have a date or rough approximation to when that may be?

Glad to hear it. There are quite some differences to how various plugin and synth vendors approach this.
Looking forward to it...

simmo75 wrote:Do you have a date or rough approximation to when that may be?
Rough approximation, we are still several months out... 3-5 months at this point. We are in the design stage at this point, and hoping we can make something that not only contains all of the parameters, but is reasonably sensible to navigate as well. We are also planning for a near term feature (maybe a month or so) that will provide some basic envelope editing.

Here's a link where I wrote a bit more on the editor thoughts:
https://shrine.mok.com/index.php?qa=290 ... or-be-like

Return to “Tracktion”