VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

great stuff, wonderful freeware!
Was unable to compile on os x but thats probably due to setup issues.

Yeah, just thanks, having a lot of fun playing with this. Have already come up with a few sequences I'd never have realised conventionally in a DAW (modulating attack times etc).

I appreciate DEVs work! Very good stuff for .3!

Finally, and with help from Andrew, I managed to compile rack. I started to develop some modules.
My first one, a simple quantizer is working. Once things are smoothed out, I will create a github repository for my stuff.

I guess others will do so as well, and hope that this thing turns into a great community project.

Cheers,
Martin

Probably a dumb question, how do we get Rack to play continuously?
I got it to work with a midi-in module and my keyboard, but when I load synths without a midi in, I get no sound at all

Totolitoto wrote:Probably a dumb question, how do we get Rack to play continuously?
I got it to work with a midi-in module and my keyboard, but when I load synths without a midi in, I get no sound at all
Well, that depends on the patch you put together. I did not have any problem.

Beware that some of the sound generators do create fading sounds, so you need to trigger them from a sequencer or LFO (use tidal). Others, such as the standard VCO do create a continuos sound.

If I plug a simple osc in an audio out I should get a continuous sound don't I?
But here i's complete silence...

[EDIT]
Tried again it works, I don't know what happened yesterday :p

Totolitoto wrote:If I plug a simple osc in an audio out I should get a continuous sound don't I?
But here i's complete silence...

[EDIT]
Tried again it works, I don't know what happened yesterday :p
Good that it works now.

Just spotted this. Looks great, thanks.

Finally had a quick play, while this is awesome Im happy to report that as an example Tides doesnt sound nearly as rich as the hardware. Im happy because the silly amount I spent on a modular is still justified....in my eyes ;)

Haven read the manual but can we change the modes of Clouds as Id test this out as well
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Tides doesnt sound nearly as rich as the hardware
It runs the exact same code and is generating the exact same digital samples.

If not, that's a bug that should be reported with details.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

vortico wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Tides doesnt sound nearly as rich as the hardware
It runs the exact same code and is generating the exact same digital samples.

If not, that's a bug that should be reported with details.
But one they are running on different hardware with different components, i.e. one is code running on a module fed into a eurorack mixer and through my soundcard, the other is code running on my PC and fed to my soundcard output. The module and soundcard have their own DACs for one among countless other component differences.

I use an Rme Multiface and was running at 96kHz.

There's more to hardware than just code
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Nah, there's a negligible/unnoticible difference in DACs and analog hardware since Tides uses a DAC8552 with a -85dB THD straight to output (no amplifiers involved) and your RME Multiface is undoubtedly even more accurate. The difference that you may be hearing is likely caused by the fact that I'm clocking Tides at the internal Rack sample rate (which may be 44.1k, 44k, etc) and rescaling the pitch (https://github.com/VCVRack/AudibleInstr ... s.cpp#L121) while the hardware Tides clocks at a fixed 48k. So try running Rack at 48k and see if you notice a difference.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Who is have problem to record ur sounds just use soundflower

autodafe wrote:I tested it also on an old MacBook ruinning el Captain 10.11.6

Rack opens but the module grid is completely blank...no racks, no right click or ctrl-click.
Opening a patch created on my other mac, the modules have no knobs, no outs and so on, more or less the same problem I have when switching between mac/pc

I'm having the same problem on my macbook pro 17" 2009/2010 running El Captain 10.11.6... VCV Rack runs well on my 2013 macboock running Yosemite

:help:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”