One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (Taron is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Noisetar

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #103! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Submissions will show up here (may be a long delay before showing up):
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-103

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

This will be a serious challenge :tu: :tu: As described by NUSofting: "Noisetar is a synthesizer dedicated to the generation of many different noise based sounds. The generation is purely mathematical, no samples or wavetables are used, thus allowing for an easy continuous morphing from one sound to the other."

Thank you Liqih for this demo:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/noisetar-2017-demo

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
Soundemote and Ridan is offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): If you would like your winning track on spotify, please specify so as well, or you will be contacted by rghvdberg.

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster One

Sonimus : Any one Plugin

Tritik : Echorus (effect plugin)

Soundemote : PrettyScope (beautiful analog oscilloscope), you may choose this as a secondary prize on top of your regular prize.

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : Any 3 commercial sound banks. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music or here : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Ridan: Any one soundset as a secondary prize, on top of the regular prize.
haunting soundscapes, atmospheric chords, layered pads, anamorphic guitars,
brass and woodwind-esque, rhythmic/melodic sequences, and macabre sound effects.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing. Some people from OSC have had success here.
  • KVR Mix Challenge (see stickies) - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems.
  • Music Cafe (KVR, see stickies) - A thematic monthly competition. Use recording, real instruments, synths and samples.
  • RemixComps - An aggregator for remix contests from a variety of artists and genres (mostly EDM) - indie and popular.
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
  • Soundevotion (SDCOMPO) Competition - Even longer running than the OSC, the SDCOMPO is even more niche in that you must use a tracker, and set of specific effects. Great community.
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Im in. Didnt have a chance to finish last time but now i will. ;)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I hope autechre doesn't enter this challenge :)

This is going to be a very interesting month! Very excited! :hyper:
Failure is success in progress.

My entry using default sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/antti-luode/lo-fi-noises

It uses 13 instances of Noisetar. FX is limited to few limiters and effectors as reverb.

I had to break some melody lines in two because some notes sounded like they were not played
if I used just one instance to play the melody (or they were very quiet). When I played every other note with another instance it rendered just fine.

The FLP file is at: (13 Lo Fi Noises.zip)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1t5a ... kVvUnFPMkk

Antti

Seems like techno aliens and bass music zombies will fight their return match earlier than expected... (see my OSC#102 entry)

] Peter:H [ wrote:Seems like techno aliens and bass music zombies will fight their return match earlier than expected... (see my OSC#102 entry)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is that thing? Everything I can get from it is "noise". This will be for sure aliens vs zombies round :hihi:

One question. Is this thing mono or polyphony? Because synth itself can't decide. 3 note chord result sometimes in one note, sometimes in two and not very often 3. Or I'm I deaf :wink:

Cool im in, took me awike to find the thread.

Okay I can't understand this synth.
All of a sudden, shortly after a little tweak, a sine changed into a mad saturated square, with no way to recover the previous state ^^...
Cloning the synth won't gave me the same results. Noise magics !

Ah! all of a sudden, everything disappeard. I'm a bit sad.

...well, this is going to be a challenge, to say the least :) I'll have to think very hard what kind of track I can make with this, haven't managed to get anything close to traditional sounds out of the synth.

This will be a noisy round.

I found when BP is on, with width set to 0.01 there is polyphony problems. Not all notes played, it is more like random. Most controls for OSC1 and 2 dont do anything (or you cant hear that) with this settings on. Synth is quite unstable and presets sound change when I reload project. I spent hour creating bass sound and after reload well there is just noise :o . Also cloning/duplicating instance result again in sound change.

This round is really a challenge and I cant wait to see how many tracks will be posted this time.

@Trojak : "presets sound change when I reload projec" : had it to happen on my kick x)
Actually it had recovered the sound it had before a random modification that had happened a few seconds after a few tweaks. I suspect there are some sounds that don't fade out the speed they should in some special configurations (some oscillations that survive the changes) and when you reload the song, things go differently.
But actually it is still possible to do something with width with BPMelody on - just avoiding the 0.01 as you said, that leads to some random situations ^^...

Okay, I'm out of this. I don't want to waste my time with a random-noise-tinker-synth...If experienced sound designer like you guys have that big trouble. It's all about sound design and not about beta testing weird stuff.

I think it's still time to switch. Can we somehow do a quick vote to see if we could switch to another synth like PolyGAS or something less unusual https://www.kvraudio.com/news/stone-voi ... v2-1-38377
Any suggestion welcome. Only requirement it should not be completely fresh out of the press or any alpha try out experiment.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First time in about 20 OSCs when a synth has had me angry with it! :bang: :D

Finding it really hard to get any consistency, but with extreme compressing / limiting might just be able to make it work. A serious challenge, this one!

It would be nice to get a synth that is not version 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 for once ;)

Getting lots of clicking will have to really think about what kind of 'song' is appropriate here.

Return to “Instruments”