Pulse Wave LFO in Zebra2?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

If there a way to make a pulse wave LFO? I'm in the process of trying with the user LFO, but not having much luck yet. The effect I'm looking for is like the synth part to "Won't Get Fooled Again" from The Who. It's always misstated as a square wave LFO, but it's actually a pulse wave. You'll see what I mean when you see a attached png of their isolated synth part.

I know there are several ways to accomplish the final sound. The easiest would be with the arp/seq, but I'd like to find a way to do it with the LFO because it's turned into a puzzle to me. That, and I'm a glutton for punishment. :bang: :nutter:
fooledagainsynth.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by armenjc on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

In which instrument exactly? In Zebra, you can use the User wave in the LFOs to do what you want.

Zebra. Fairly easy, but you need to adjust the speed to the number of handles. Try 4 steps first.

EvilDragon wrote:In which instrument exactly? In Zebra, you can use the User wave in the LFOs to do what you want.
Oops! Yes, Zebra2. I just edited the subject to say Zebra2.

Thanks.

Maybe like this for 8ths with 75% gate time:
8th gates - long.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can also do it with an MSEG if you want a bit more rounded edge to it.

Or Sawtooth LFO -> ModMapper with the shape you want.

pdxindy wrote:You can also do it with an MSEG if you want a bit more rounded edge to it.
Yes, for sure, I wanted to see if I could accomplish it with an LFO, just as an exercise.

Howard wrote:Maybe like this for 8ths with 75% gate time:
8th gates - long.png
Yes, thank you. That's the look I needed. I was under the impression that I could just pull up a 4-step user LFO and move the points around to turn in into that same shape (pulse wave). But after reading the LFO and GLFO sections in the manual (pg 53-55) and don't see that moving the points to turn a square wave into a pulse wave is a possibility.
Last edited by armenjc on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote:Or Sawtooth LFO -> ModMapper with the shape you want.
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I thought I'd share this, because if you're on this forum, then you are at least as curious as I am about how some sounds are created. Here's the isolated sound
https://youtu.be/tmVFBiC8MIA

Here's what I found out about the orginal sound I was trying to duplicate:
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/lowrey.html

"Pete is playing block chords spread between the two keyboards of the 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ. The output of the organ is fed into the audio input of the EMS VCS3 mk1 synth. The first bit of processing to be applied to the organ sound is a low-frequency oscillator (LFO) controlling the frequency of a voltage-controlled filter (VCF), using a sine or triangle wave shape. In other words, the synth is turning the tone of the organ from mellow to bright, up and down automatically.

Step 2 has the output of Step 1 being fed into a voltage-controlled amplifier triggered by a square wave LFO. This means the VCS3 is turning the volume of the organ on and off in a repeating fashion."

I'm eyeballing the image of the synthsizer to see if I can get any clues.

delete

Howard wrote:Maybe like this for 8ths with 75% gate time:
8th gates - long.png
Thanks Howard. One little tweak to your suggestion by dropping the 4th step all the way down and that was it! The blue in the graphic is the original. The green is mine.
Zebra-FooledAgain.png

RE VCS3 patch: No, it's a very different patch. BTW connecting Trapezoid to output channel 2 makes no sense, especially with those slow envelope settings.

Howard wrote:RE VCS3 patch: No, it's a very different patch. BTW connecting Trapezoid to output channel 2 makes no sense, especially with those slow envelope settings.
Right. That's not a photo of the patch used by Pete Townshend. It's just a photo of the synth he used. So I was just eyeballing it to see. I was able to recreate it very closely. I'll post it later today so you can hear how it turned out. Thanks for your help!

Return to “u-he”