Mulab's CPU efficiency

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A couple of days ago I started to test U-he's new Repro synth, I mentioned in a thread how it was causing crackles and dropouts on my computer. So I assumed my new AMD-based computer was still too weak for the latest generation of synthesizers...

However, someone replied that Repro used little CPU on his 5-year old laptop, whose CPU was clearly inferior to mine. But he mentioned he was using Reaper.
So out of curiosity I downloaded Reaper and, surprise surprise, all the audio and CPU problems were gone. The CPU load has literally imploded to a fraction of what it used to be in Mulab. Just to be clear, I am speaking of the objective CPU meters in Windows, not the CPU meters built into the DAWs themselves, which are known to work differently.

Except for the DAW everything else is identical, i.e. exactly the same hardware, and the same audio driver (ASIO4ALL) with identical settings).

Sooo, is there some problem with Mulab's audio engine? Have other Mulab users here tried demanding synths and what are their experiences?

IIRC, this is the third MuTools thread you have started on CPU efficiency. By all rights, you should now be the foremost expert in diagnosing your computer processor problems. Also, you did not mention your complete MuLab audio engine stats. Did you use them in your troubleshooting? They may help you.
BTW, I have no problems with Repro-5 on my 7-year old laptop but... YMMV :D
Last edited by Michael L on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I don't remember the other threads, must have been some time ago...
Anyway, now I have a new computer, and it no longer has to do with my dated computer. Nor with the way Mulab's CPU meter displays CPU load. I can simply hear it, there are crackles and dropouts, which are simply not there with Reaper, while everything else except for the DAW is the same. So, it is certainly not my imagination...

This is thread #3 since I've been here.

You might check both computer and human CPU efficiency issues. Are the crackles associated with CPU use? MuLab's CPU meter shows more than just the load. Right-click shows all the audio engine stats and you can use them to narrow down the cause of your problem.

On the human CPU side, when you "started to test" RePro 5 did you read on its splash screen the demo limitations:
"some vinyl-like crackles every now and then?"

Perhaps you heard only demo crackles, but in "your imagination" they were caused by MuLab?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Sorry, you are just ridiculous. Do you think I am stupid? I know very well when I hear demo noise and when I hear something else. The demo noise is in intervals, Mulab's sound has dropouts whenever I play chords in between demo noise bursts.
And Windows task manager confirms it, with Mulab the CPU load is about 5x as high with exactly the same patch and chord. And even if the CPU load just gets to, say, 25%, there are already dropouts and crackles, which is weird.
Whatever the problem is, it obviously has to do with Mulab, and not with my computer, not with Repro or anything else because with Reaper those problems simply do not exist.
You are just being dishonest when you try to put the blame on anything and anyone else.
What Mulab's extended CPU display shows doesn't tell me anything about causes.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Sorry, you are just ridiculous.
I agree! So is this thread.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

MuLab uses less cpu then Live here, I can use more Softube Modular not tried it with RePro-5.

Going Amd is imo a bad decision for audio.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

shroom81 wrote:MuLab uses less cpu then Live here, I can use more Softube Modular not tried it with RePro-5.

Going Amd is imo a bad decision for audio.
I don't know about Live, never tried it. But I do know that Reaper works very well on my AMD computer, so why can't Mulab?

So, what does this data tell me?
Two consecutive chords in Repro 5 resulted in those statistics and audible crackles...

https://app.box.com/s/bii95yhu997c4bi4ujumn5lhzth1jk4z

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, what does this data tell me? Two consecutive chords in Repro 5
Only you know what your data tells you about your system (sorry I don't have your Repro-chords-CPU problem) but most Repro 5 presets use the max 8 voices, so if you are playing consecutive chords just dial down the number of voices a bit and it won't affect musical quality.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, what does this data tell me?
Two consecutive chords in Repro 5 resulted in those statistics and audible crackles...

From those data I can see that the Block Size (also called buffer size) is 128.

Maybe raise it to 256 or even 512. This should be done within the settings of your ASIO4ALL driver.

Cheers
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Also, did you try with the Multicore switch ON (and HQ off)?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

sbj wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:So, what does this data tell me?

From those data I can see that the Block Size (also called buffer size) is 128.

Maybe raise it to 256 or even 512. This should be done within the settings of your ASIO4ALL driver.

Cheers
128 is my default buffer size. Why does Mulab have a problem with that, while Reaper doesn't?

Michael L wrote:Also, did you try with the Multicore switch ON (and HQ off)?
I did all my comparisons using those very settings.
Without MC things are even worse.

There is no way we can compare your MuLab and Reaper preferences, but you might want to review them if you are thinking about buying a high-cpu synth, and the u-he sales department may also help.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”