Is it still worth buying Zebra2 (and The Dark Zebra)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm Are you looking to sell patches? Is that the concern? If you're not sure, pick a more flavor of the month type synth with hot sales. I'd understand being reluctant spending six months programming Zebra 2 patches if version 3 comes out right after. Then again, maybe make some kick-ass patches to demonstrate your skills and try to get in the sound design team for U-he if they're taking people. Might get you in at the ground floor of Zebra 3 alpha/beta builds.
You should know that one of the reasons why I chose Zebra is that it is "stable" on the market for some time already and has a big community of Users who are not just interested in Sawtooths [...]. I started making electronic Music back in 1997. I´ve seen a lot of Systems coming and going - sometimes very quickly - and I´ve seen Systems really worth to spend lots of time with.

I´m just thinking about it - and don´t really see an Alternative for what I´m doing at the Moment. OK Sampling - and only Samples really surive - but you first need to create something that´s worth Sampling ... that´s lots of work for tomorrow. NI is definitely no Alternative for me - I´d drown in the depth of unlimited possibilities and really dislike their concept of all in one and one big Solution for everything.

the outstanding "Transition" will probably have a stroong influence on waht I´m doing at the moment and I´d recommend evereybody to think abour such issues as I do here before they come over you...

I by the way decided that I´ll wait with HZ until I finished what is waiting to be finished. It´ll be a little reward for all that not so funny work standing out !°

Why not?

Because it´s kind deflection for me at the moment. Somethin new. It´d surely be inspiring and I´d really like to play with the Resonator and the Diva Filters - but - let´s say it like this: I don´t want to repeat history, you know? As I read his story I was really disappointed that I didn´t have the idea for this name before. Grump is suitable, too - but "The Unfinished" would´ve hit the point! [...]

Rastkovic wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:08 pm
GRUMP wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 amOr: does it still make sense to invest lots of time in Sound Design for Z2 or is it a slowly starving System?
It always make sense to invest time in sound design....

What is the problem, to transfer sounds to a new synth?

P.S.: I bought Zebra 2 + HZ (NEW) in April this year....
For sure it does always make "sense" - if you define "sense" as subjective matter ... the question for me is: does it - under the given circumstances - make sense to to them with Zebra st the moment and not with Harmor or maybe even Halion. Loom? Vertigo? Whatever.

On the other hand I fear that Urs will publish a really new invention. U-he is not kidding and Zebra is the Flagship. Will it be possible to transfer OSC-Setting into the new World?

tro make it short: in the 90s we thought that 16 Bit 42 KHZ would be it. Today we know that CD Quality was just a temporary Quality Standard ...

it wasn't. you can't successfully a/b CD spec and above. it's nothing but wasted drive space. those who claim otherwise have a poor understanding of digital audio, and likely have an account in an audiophile forum.

Zebra3 is an urban legend!

"And the upgrade was coming from inside the house!!!"

Zebra2 is wonderful, and will remain relevant and useful for many years to come! Get it now, and the upgrade will only be $30USD (of course that's in 2020 money!). I'd also be surprised if Zebra3 will be quite as CPU friendly as Z2, as it will probably be far more powerful. As for the HZ addition, it depends on how exciting the filters and patches are to you. But remember the first $30 will go towards Z3, theoretically. So it would be like a $70 upgrade, assuming you'll eventually be getting Z3 also.

I am a little surprised at the so so response as to most of the opinions on Zebra HZ. I was checking allot of Zebra presets by the Unfinished and unless my ears are playing tricks on me the majority of the Zebra HZ presets sound more pristine and also an improvement in the bass. Most of the Unfinished presets are available in both Zebra and Zebra HZ. Would anyone care to check them out or maybe someone has paid Zebra presets in both Zebra and Zebra HZ.
http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/shop/

Edit: Oh, I misread your post first time--my response is not fitting it, sorry. I would like to know more about the HZ sound difference if it exists (I only have Zebra 2).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain maybe compare the presets at Unfinished. When you go to the soundcloud page The demo's with Zebra HZ are labeled near the end of playback.

For 300$ I take from ebay a used Korg M3 with Radius Exb ...

chaibuka wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:26 am I am a little surprised at the so so response as to most of the opinions on Zebra HZ. I was checking allot of Zebra presets by the Unfinished and unless my ears are playing tricks on me the majority of the Zebra HZ presets sound more pristine and also an improvement in the bass. Most of the Unfinished presets are available in both Zebra and Zebra HZ. Would anyone care to check them out or maybe someone has paid Zebra presets in both Zebra and Zebra HZ.
http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/shop/
ZebraHZ additions includes:
- Diva filters
- Polyphonic compressors
- Resonator
- 24 modulation slots
- 8 MSEG's
- X/Y as modulation sources

The Unfinished presets for ZebraHZ is a tweaked versions of the regular ones from the corresponding regular packs to take advantages of ZebraHZ additions. So yes, they sounds different.

Hope this helps :)

Very helpful. Thanks!

I cam very late to the Zebra party - about 6months ago and i think it is brilliant.

Yes still the most versatile synth imo even though you can’t import samples nor transfer them to wave tables. You will love it. If unsure try zebralette

giant_panda wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 am
chaibuka wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:26 am

The Unfinished presets for ZebraHZ is a tweaked versions of the regular ones from the corresponding regular packs to take advantages of ZebraHZ additions. So yes, they sounds different.

Hope this helps :)
Yes-very helpful
Do you own both Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ and care to comment on how much use Zebra HZ gets or why you might prefer it over the regular version.

Return to “Instruments”