Logic 10.4 Smart Tempo on Live Multi-track Recordings?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

I can’t seem to figure out how to do this. If I record two or more tracks at the same time (let’s say, guitar and vocals or a multi-mic’d drum kit), I can select one of those tracks and have Logic figure out its tempo and apply it to the project.

But unless I’m wrong, there seems to be no way to tell Logic that the other tracks were recorded at the same time and should receive the same tempo mapping and downbeats? Seems the options are either 1) keep the other regions at the static tempo the project was at before recording or 2) analyze them and have Logic tempo-match them to the other file (which gets close but not close enough).

Am I missing something or is this not how Smart Tempo intended to be used?

Same trouble here...
I am almost thinkin there is no way in turning smart tempo off for other audio tracks.
Problem seems between the Smart Temp Markers and the Flex Markers that react according to the "Master" Smart Temp Track...

Help would b appreciateD

One thing Apple doesn't seem to be real good at is releasing in-depth info on major new features. Perhaps raise or lower the number of transients in use.

It would be nice to know about this as I'm about to start in on it. ;-)

I think the key thing here is that tracks recorded at the same time shouldn’t be subject to any warping or flexing, they should just play back as they were recorded and the master tempo track should adapt to the downbeats and tempo of one of them (chosen by me).

Sadly, I have not figured out a way to do this.

We’d need some way to 'mark' tracks as part of the same performance to achieve this, right now two regions are just two regions to Logic, no matter how or when they were recorded.

If Logic is taking the tempo from the base track, and not otherwise altering it, why wouldn't the other tracks recorded at the same time play in sync if they're not using Flex? I could see this happening if you start messing around with the "tempo" track's transients and timing perhaps, but it seems they should all just play back raw and in sync.

Have you actually had this problem, or is this just theoretical?

Never mind. Just took a quick look. It is kind of weird. What you might try is using the keep mode to record, export one track of all those you recorded (with the best transients maybe), switch to adapt, import that track back in, then go back to keep mode. That's a complete blind suggestion after a two minute look and I have not tried it yet. Can you not switch off follow for regions that you don't want to adapt to the tempo map after the fact and still have them play back in sync?

I was thinking you just selected a track, made it the "follow this" track and everything else would adapt, or simply extracted a tempo map out of a track. Different strokes.

MagicLantern wrote:
Am I missing something or is this not how Smart Tempo intended to be used?
To record in ADAPT mode, you can only record a single Track, not Multitrack. But you can edit Multitrack.

This is the information that you are missing plus the information that I released a book that explains on 230 pages all the details about the new features and changes including 39 pages just covering Smart Tempo.
I anounced that book on this forum, it is called "Logic Pro X - WHat's New in 10.4" and is available on my website http://LogicProGEM.com

Here is the page of the book that lists the limitation:

As it was mentioned in this thread, Apple is not good at explaining their new stuff. This is especially problematic with the new Smart Tempo feature. You cannot , and I repeat, CANNOT figure that out by clicking around. Some clue-less YouTube videos have shown that.

You have to learn how Smart Tempo works, its rules and limitation. One limitation to record in ADAPT Mode is NO MULTITRACK. You can only record a single track in ADAPT Mode to have Logic analyse its tempo. In its term, it means no "Musical Tempo Reference".
And before everybody is b!tch!ng about that, please keep in mind that this the first iteration. Once, you really understand how Smart Tempo works and what it is capable of, you can imaging what a game changer that is with future updates.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

Yes, thank you Edgar, this is what I suspected – good to have it confirmed. Smart Tempo is, indeed, still very cool in its current, single-track implementation.

Multi-track mode would be huge, here’s hoping it’s coming in the future!

I don't think anyone was bitching. I was merely saying how I'd imagined the implementation, which would've been post facto processing. However, if this adapts the playback of other tracks in real time to the tempo being played (does it, or will it?) then I could see this being a huge deal for live performance.

So my question is, can you take a track you've recorded, export it, import it with adapt enabled, and then use that to control the rest of the tracks? This seems possible given the options I saw in the dialog and would seem to work around MagicLantern's issue deftly.

There are now several good videos on YouTube on how this works. You can create a tempo map from any audio region.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”