The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 am

andrelafosse wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 am
I think the tunes sound really good! The first one totally nails their songwriting style.

A big, big part of the sound of groups like this is tracking the rhythm guitar parts twice, playing the same exact part, and then panning one take hard left and the other take hard right. It creates this huge stereo image for the guitars, but also leaves plenty of room in the middle for the vocals.

The challenge here might be (MIGHT be) that one of the reasons this works is that no human is going to play something exactly the same way each time. So, the microscopic variations present in each take are what allow the doubling effect to happen. If you take the exact same take and pan it hard left and right, you're just going to get a mono signal.

I don't know if the guitar VI's your using allow for that, or if you could use a different VI/setting for the left and right takes, or whatever, but it might be worth a shot.

Nice work, either way!
Actually, I do double track the guitars. What I do to get some variation is (1) I use different amps for each guitar and (2) I put a slight delay on the one guitar.

Ultimately, because of the humanization settings in the VI, there will be slight differences between each part anyway.

However, what I didn't do is pan them hard left and right. Just about 60 for each. So maybe that's why it doesn't come across as well as it could. I'll try a harder panning on my next track.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am

3rd track from my upcoming CD "In The Blink Of An Eye"

Did a few things of note for this track.

1. Double tracked guitars wide left and right.
2. Dirtied up vocals.
3. Lots of overdrive and distortion on bass.
4. Saturation on drums.
5. Pushed high end just a bit so just not to go into red zone.

I used to do stuff like this years ago without a limiter. My tape deck took a real beating.

Anyway, song itself is pretty ridiculous. Not to be taken seriously at all.

Pork Roll (I Don't Want No Taylor Ham)

Hungry, hungry
Yes I'm very hungry
But I'm very picky
No Lean Cuisine

Something meaty
Something nice and treaty
Something I can licky
That don't taste mean

What am I longing for
What do I want much more

Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
I don't want no Taylor Ham
Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
Eat it even on the lam

Cursing, cussing
Why all of the fussing
Who cares what we call it
Long as it's good

Fussing, fighting
The pilot it needs lighting
Cook it nice and tender
On slabs of wood

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Verses 3 and 4

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus 2x

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... taylor-ham

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:30 pm

4th track from my upcoming CD "In The Blink Of An Eye"

I really veered off the road with this one.

Another Night Of Na Na Na

Here we are
Here it is
Another night of oh gee wiz

Heads will roll
Heads will fly
Another night we're all sky high

Party all night long
As we sing this song

Another night of na na na
Another night of dancing in the moonlight
Another night of na na na
Another night of holding my girl real tight
We're gonna party til we drop
We're gonna party quite a lot
We're gonna show the world what we got
Another night of na na na na na na

Parties come
And parties go
Another night we put on a show

Come along
If you dare
Another night we won't have a care

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Na na na na na na etc.

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... f-na-na-na

beanpole
KVRist
340 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Somewhere In Scotland

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 am

Really like all 4 of your Blink 182 songs. The only thing I don't like is the fake sounding virtual guitars, they just jar and don't sound right. Seems a bit strange you are trying to emulate a "punk" band and not using real guitars. Anyway, apart from that the songs are really good, especially the first one.

As an aside where do you find the time to create so many songs, you seem to turn out nearly one every day. I struggle to finish one every few weeks :D
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....
http://www.myspace.com/thebeanbeany

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 am

beanpole wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 am
Really like all 4 of your Blink 182 songs. The only thing I don't like is the fake sounding virtual guitars, they just jar and don't sound right. Seems a bit strange you are trying to emulate a "punk" band and not using real guitars. Anyway, apart from that the songs are really good, especially the first one.

As an aside where do you find the time to create so many songs, you seem to turn out nearly one every day. I struggle to finish one every few weeks :D
Sorry about the virtual guitars. I sold my electric years ago and don't have one anymore so this is the best I can do. I understand that virtual cannot take the place of real. I'm simply making the best with what I have.

Glad you liked the songs though.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Took a break from my Blink 182 project to do this one.

Story Behind It: Choir director was looking for a song to do for our Veteran's Day service but couldn't find anything. So I told her I would write something and came up with this. I knew I had to keep it very simple as we don't have a lot of time to learn it so it is very simple. More so than my usual stuff. But they should be able to learn this in like a day.

What Are We Fighting For

What are we fighting for
What are we fighting for
What are we fighting for
Oh Lord

What are we dying for
What are we dying for
What are we dying for
Oh Lord

We're fighting for those
Who don't have a voice
We're fighting for those
Who don't have a choice

We're dying for those
like you and like me
We're dying for those
Who want to be free

What are we fighting for
What are we fighting for
What are we fighting for
Oh Lord

We're fighting for you
We're fighting for you
We're fighting for you, Lord

We're fighting for you
We're fighting for you
We're fighting for you, Lord

What are we fighting for
What are we dying for
What are we fighting for
Oh Lord

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ghting-for

frank1985
KVRist
239 posts since 4 Jun, 2018

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm

The last two tracks were great...a bit cookie cutter but catchy and at times quirky. Sonically, the production reminds me of something from the 90s - I don’t quite know what I mean by that - I guess it’s more a feeling than anything. I was just about able to see past the virtual guitars in Another Night. Wasn’t a fan of pork roll. Your Soundcloud avatar looks like Wolfgang Priklopil.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:20 pm

frank1985 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm
The last two tracks were great...a bit cookie cutter but catchy and at times quirky. Sonically, the production reminds me of something from the 90s - I don’t quite know what I mean by that - I guess it’s more a feeling than anything. I was just about able to see past the virtual guitars in Another Night. Wasn’t a fan of pork roll. Your Soundcloud avatar looks like Wolfgang Priklopil.
Well, Blink 182 started in the 90s so I guess it makes sense they would sound 90s. I hear you on the virtual guitars. What can I say? I don't play guitar anymore so I make do.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 am

5th track from my upcoming CD "In The Blink Of An Eye"

Got a little creative with the mix on this one. Went for a bit of an edge. Cuttertone was the cherry on the banana split.

Living In A Sandbox

It's getting crowded in here
It's the end I fear
Population control
Like a tiny fish bowl

You're gonna fry
You're gonna die
I won't ever tell you no lie
We're living in a sandbox

How you like your tin can
Is it how it began
When you first lost control
In your tiny fish bowl

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -a-sandbox

seangm
KVRist
123 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am
3rd track from my upcoming CD "In The Blink Of An Eye"

Did a few things of note for this track.

1. Double tracked guitars wide left and right.
2. Dirtied up vocals.
3. Lots of overdrive and distortion on bass.
4. Saturation on drums.
5. Pushed high end just a bit so just not to go into red zone.

I used to do stuff like this years ago without a limiter. My tape deck took a real beating.

Anyway, song itself is pretty ridiculous. Not to be taken seriously at all.

Pork Roll (I Don't Want No Taylor Ham)

Hungry, hungry
Yes I'm very hungry
But I'm very picky
No Lean Cuisine

Something meaty
Something nice and treaty
Something I can licky
That don't taste mean

What am I longing for
What do I want much more

Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
I don't want no Taylor Ham
Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
Eat it even on the lam

Cursing, cussing
Why all of the fussing
Who cares what we call it
Long as it's good

Fussing, fighting
The pilot it needs lighting
Cook it nice and tender
On slabs of wood

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Verses 3 and 4

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus 2x

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... taylor-ham
Catchy chorus and the guitar solo reminded me of something Frusciante might play.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:28 am

seangm wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am
3rd track from my upcoming CD "In The Blink Of An Eye"

Did a few things of note for this track.

1. Double tracked guitars wide left and right.
2. Dirtied up vocals.
3. Lots of overdrive and distortion on bass.
4. Saturation on drums.
5. Pushed high end just a bit so just not to go into red zone.

I used to do stuff like this years ago without a limiter. My tape deck took a real beating.

Anyway, song itself is pretty ridiculous. Not to be taken seriously at all.

Pork Roll (I Don't Want No Taylor Ham)

Hungry, hungry
Yes I'm very hungry
But I'm very picky
No Lean Cuisine

Something meaty
Something nice and treaty
Something I can licky
That don't taste mean

What am I longing for
What do I want much more

Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
I don't want no Taylor Ham
Pork roll
Pork roll
Pork roll
Eat it even on the lam

Cursing, cussing
Why all of the fussing
Who cares what we call it
Long as it's good

Fussing, fighting
The pilot it needs lighting
Cook it nice and tender
On slabs of wood

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Verses 3 and 4

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus 2x

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... taylor-ham
Catchy chorus and the guitar solo reminded me of something Frusciante might play.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 am

Got away from the Blink 182 project for this one. Experimented with CLA Vocal plugin for this track. Really like the results. Title actually came from my wife. I asked her what I should call my next song and she said "I don't know what to tell you" and that's how this song was born. Funny the places you can get inspiration from.

I Don't Know What To Tell You

You say you got problems
Well I got problems too
You say the world is a train wreck
You don't know what to do

Well I don't know what to tell you
I don't know what to say
I don't know what to tell you
It's just another day

You say the world's crazy
You'll get no argument there
You say that apathy's rampant
That people just don't care

Repeat Chorus

We all have our cross to bear
We all end up with gray hair
We all wish that life was fair
But we all know that it ain't

So take it from me boy
You might as well just give in
Cause there's no way to fight it
There's no way you can win

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-tell-you

enCiphered
KVRist
468 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am

I´m not a friend of this music type but the vocal part is of very high quality. This is how a well-balanced mix should sound like. Very good work here, well done!

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17190 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 am

enCiphered wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am
I´m not a friend of this music type but the vocal part is of very high quality. This is how a well-balanced mix should sound like. Very good work here, well done!
Yeah, the CLA Vocal plugin literally magically put this together. All I had to really do was adjust the levels and panning a bit. I have to say I'm very impressed with it.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

Return to “Music Cafe”