The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Memorial Day (We Remember).
Nicely amalgamated. :clap:

Saffran wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:05 pm Memorial Day (We Remember).
Nicely amalgamated. :clap:
Thank you kindly.

wagtunes,
It's hard to not think about war with Russia attacking Ukraine. I worked with a guy from Ukraine about 25 years ago; he had some crazy stories. Anyway, I am reviewing "Memorial Day". It's another classic wagtunes song with nice & catchy melodies. Lead guitar is good; so are the lyrics. My favorite part is the piano: sounds very good. The brief break was effective. The strings didn't really hit me until the second listening: they are good too. The song kind of reminds me of Billy Joel, with a musical theater vibe (a compliment). :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:26 pm wagtunes,
It's hard to not think about war with Russia attacking Ukraine. I worked with a guy from Ukraine about 25 years ago; he had some crazy stories. Anyway, I am reviewing "Memorial Day". It's another classic wagtunes song with nice & catchy melodies. Lead guitar is good; so are the lyrics. My favorite part is the piano: sounds very good. The brief break was effective. The strings didn't really hit me until the second listening: they are good too. The song kind of reminds me of Billy Joel, with a musical theater vibe (a compliment). :)
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Aaron. Yeah, tough not thinking about what's going on in the world. It's so messed up.

Strings were a combination of Halion Sonic and EWQL Violins. A somewhat unusual combination for me as I was trying something new. Jury is still out on its success.

Wanna sing some BV on my/our MCC entry this month, it's a cover from one of your favourite bands.
I'll PM you the track link.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:59 am Wanna sing some BV on my/our MCC entry this month, it's a cover from one of your favourite bands.
I PM'd you back. Sure you want my wretched voice on one of your recordings? LOL

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:07 am
The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:59 am Wanna sing some BV on my/our MCC entry this month, it's a cover from one of your favourite bands.
I wouldn't have asked you otherwise.

And I know they were one of your favourites.

The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am

OMG, yes. But you might have noticed from my Killer Kovers CD that I avoided all Badfinger covers because of how high these songs are to sing.

Here's the link in case you missed them.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ler-kovers

I think I did a pretty good job on these. But you'll notice, no Badfinger. Their vocals are murder to pull off.

Anyway, I will give it a shot.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:35 am

OMG, yes. But you might have noticed from my Killer Kovers CD that I avoided all Badfinger covers because of how high these songs are to sing.

I think I did a pretty good job on these. But you'll notice, no Badfinger. Their vocals are murder to pull off.

Yeah, I'll give these a listen. I noticed the music in your covers is spot on. :tu:
Thanks, I look forward to harmonising with you.

The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:50 am

Yeah, I'll give these a listen. I noticed the music in your covers is spot on. :tu:
As much as I'd love to do this (you can't begin to imagine how much) I can't sing this song. Hell, I can't sing any of my favorite Badfinger songs (listen to Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke) and it's a real sore spot for me because I have loved this band since the first time I heard them back in 1970.

Unfortunately, and reluctantly, I'm going to have to pass on this as anything I attempt to do will absolutely sound horrible.

Good luck in the competition.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:01 am
The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:50 am

As much as I'd love to do this (you can't begin to imagine how much) I can't sing this song. Hell, I can't sing any of my favorite Badfinger songs (listen to Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke) and it's a real sore spot for me because I have loved this band since the first time I heard them back in 1970.

Unfortunately, and reluctantly, I'm going to have to pass on this as anything I attempt to do will absolutely sound horrible.

Good luck in the competition.
OK, thanks for considering it.

A few days ago I got an email from my band leader. They released their latest album on 3/21. On it were 10 songs. All of them were mine. I couldn't believe it.

Based on past sales, I project about $700 in royalties from this release. The money will come in handy.

While I can't post their versions (They really did a great job on these) here are my originals that appear and in album order.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... nd-album-3

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 am A few days ago I got an email from my band leader. They released their latest album on 3/21. On it were 10 songs. All of them were mine. I couldn't believe it.

Based on past sales, I project about $700 in royalties from this release. The money will come in handy.

While I can't post their versions (They really did a great job on these) here are my originals that appear and in album order.

Cool, well done.
I always liked Tommy's Lament.

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 am A few days ago I got an email from my band leader. They released their latest album on 3/21. On it were 10 songs. All of them were mine. I couldn't believe it.

Cool, well done.
I always liked Tommy's Lament.
Thanks. Hopefully, the album will do well. Obviously, Tommy's Lament is a response to the Who's See Me Feel Me.

This song taught me something.

After completing my last song about Memorial Da, which got some nice comments, nothing was coming to me. Now, almost 3 months through working on this album and only 6 songs finished, I was tempted to just do anything to get another song done. But then I stopped myself and said "enough!"

I wasn't going to start working on another song until I truly got inspired. And if that meant never writing another song again (I really am burnt out) then so be it.

So I put my songwriting aside. I worked on my scoring for my TV soap, I played some Farsight PBA Pro Bowling, and pretty much did just about anything BUT write a song.

Then I went to my holiday list for this album just to see what the next holiday was because I honestly didn't remember. I know that Father's Day comes after Memorial Day but did I decide to even do a Father's Day song?

Well, it turned out the next song was for Independence Day. And when I saw it, I immediately said to myself, "Great, just another 4th of July" and then it hit me. That would make a GREAT title for a song.

And it all fell into place. The song almost wrote itself. I heard all the parts in my head, and there are plenty of them.

It turns out that this is, IMO, one of the best things I've done in a very long time.

So that's it. I'm done forcing myself to write. If I don't feel a song coming; if I don't feel like writing; I won't write. I don't care how long I have to wait until inspiration hits me.

Anyway, here it is. I'm curious as to what you guys think.
7th track from my upcoming CD "Holidays"

Just Another 4th Of July

Another dog on the grill
Smell that chicken frying
Oh eat what you will
While fireworks are flying

But we don't remember
Why we celebrate
Someday it may be too late

But we go on blindly celebrating
The wars we fight...all the people hating
It's just another 4th of July