Waves JV37, Kramer Tape, Abbey Road

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
20437 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:38 am

Now that I've finally "trained" my ears to hear what tape emulations do (I own Kramer Tape) what do JV37 (hope I got the name right) and Abbey Road bring to the table that's different? Anybody have all 3? My next project I want to get as close to a 60s, 70s analog sound as possible. I'll be staying away from synths and concentrating mostly on drums, bass, guitars, pianos and organs. Lots of B3 stuff.

Interested in opinions on these 3 products.

Thanks.

User avatar
KVRAF
1989 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 am

Which "Abbey Road" plug-in are you referring to? The Waves J37 (note the correct name) is the Abbey Road Studios tape plug-in.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/j37-tape# ... y-bush-j37

Are you referring to an Abbey Road tape plug-in from another developer?

If you're thinking about grabbing the J37, it's $29 right now, so you really can't beat that. But if you want to try, use this link (https://www.waves.com/r/r8nupk) and you'll get 10% off the current sale price (and any other discounts Waves gives you), and I'll get 10% of that for referring you. :D

And if you're really going for a "60s" or "70s" sound, Waves (and other developers) have channel strips that might help you get closer (in addition to the tape emulation plug-ins you're considering). The Kramer tape plug-in is more of an "American" sound, and more notably from the end of the '60s/beginning of the '70s. The Abbey Road J37 tape plug-in is a '60s (mostly) and '70s plug-in, depending upon the tape formula you choose.

You may also want to read about (or demo) Waves' Abbey Road Vinyl plug-in, depending upon how "authentic" you want your finished product to sound.

Steve
Last edited by planetearth on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

User avatar
KVRian
717 posts since 22 Nov, 2016 from Tokyo, Japan

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 am

Just a correction. The name's J37. Abbey road is a series of plugins by waves that models various machines from the abbey road studio (channel strips, tape machine, reverb, etc.). J37 is part of abbey road series.

I demoed Kramer vs J37 and decided on the J37. What I remember is Kramer was too dirty to my taste. J37 is more versatile, could be smooth, but could distort as well if driven hard.

sjm
KVRAF
2082 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:08 am

Do you mean the Reel ADT by any chance ("Abbey Road" is the series, not a plugin)?

If so, it's not really a tape emu as such, although it does simulate a tape-based effect.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

20437 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 am

I'm referring to the Abbey Road Vinyl if that helps.

User avatar
KVRAF
1989 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 am

wagtunes wrote:I'm referring to the Abbey Road Vinyl if that helps.
Again, it depends upon how "authentic" you want to be. Abbey Road Vinyl will add some frequency-dependent compression, some saturation and a few other tricks (including vinyl noise and crackle), but it might be overkill. It won't replace proper mic selection or placement (on drums or guitars), room tone, console saturation/distortion or other tell-tale signs of "vintage" recordings. It can simulate what your recording might sound like if pressed onto vinyl, but unless your intended audience knows that's what you're trying to achieve, they may just think it sounds "off" in some way.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

KVRAF
3876 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

This is the part where someone says "Vinyl emulates a lathe, J37 emulates a tape machine - they're uncomparable" but nah they are in the same ballpark in terms of lofi vibe/saturation etc.

Both are interesting plugins in a lot of ways, especially vinyl which is kinda unique. Can go from very subtle mastering style to all out warped record noise. If you are going for retro vintage sound, they wouldn't be a bad choice for the master bus - and J37 is a great tape delay insert effect in its own right, if you can spare the CPU.

There will be some overlap between J37 and Master Tape.

KVRer
11 posts since 31 May, 2016

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am

From demoing J37 and Kramer Master Tape, I prefer J37 and will likely buy it while it's still $29. The saturation tends to be subtler and I like how it softens the high-end. I've seen quite a few more knowledgeable people than me (i.e., anyone) say that they like the Kramer tape though. The general preference seems to be that J37 is good on individual tracks while Kramer is good on mix/master buses. As a tape delay effect I think J37 is very nice (and worth the current price just for that), but the slapback delay on Kramer is great too (though probably less useful).

If you're generally interested in (inexpensive) tape saturation plugins I would recommend checking out Airwindows' "Iron Oxide 5" and "ToTape" and Hornet Plugins "Tape". They lack the fancy GUIs and some of the extra features of the Waves plugins, but they sound great.

KVRAF
2032 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:49 am

singularity14 wrote:
If you're generally interested in (inexpensive) tape saturation plugins I would recommend checking out Airwindows' "Iron Oxide 5" and "ToTape" and Hornet Plugins "Tape". They lack the fancy GUIs and some of the extra features of the Waves plugins, but they sound great.
+1

KVRer
14 posts since 31 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 am

I was initially seduced by J37 but in the end I find Kramer Tape more dependably useful... J37 always seemed more like an effect to me. Makes a great tape echo tho! I have gain and output linked on Kramer Tape and have it so the meter is just tickling. I saw some posts on the Womb from Bob Ohlsson who was actually responsible for some for the original impusle catpures for Kramer Tape and he suggests hitting it at super low level. If you start hearing audible saturation then it's just the emulation of the electronics of input stage saturating and that was always considered a horrible sound back in the day... YMMV of course!
singularity14 wrote:If you're generally interested in (inexpensive) tape saturation plugins I would recommend checking out Airwindows' "Iron Oxide 5" and "ToTape" and Hornet Plugins "Tape". They lack the fancy GUIs and some of the extra features of the Waves plugins, but they sound great.
+1 don't forget FromTape as well! On the master I often prefer it to ToTape. Iron Oxide is deffo a saturation box in my world.

KVRAF
3876 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 pm

If you don't have already, this is getting rave reviews and is $14.50 with code SPRINGSALE_CW13

https://blackroosteraudio.com/pluginsto ... pre73.html

sjm
KVRAF
2082 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Reelbus from ToneBoosters is very good, but I think it's now only available as part of a bundle (which at EUR 40 still isn't particularly expensive). Was EUR 20 for the plugin alone when I bought it.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

KVRAF
2092 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 am

I think by Abbey Road and J37 you're actually alluding to the ONE tape emulation, the Abbey Road J37... Unless you re referring to Abbey Road Vinyl??

How does it compare against Kramer Tape?? Well, I would see the J37 smoother, less aggressive than the Kramer. It also has three different tape formulations, ranging from old to more new, the Kramer doesn't offer that. But the north do the tape echo, wow and flutter thing as well. Surprisingly, the J37 doesn't sound as old as I thought it would, but I think thats because of the newer tape model.

If on the other hand you were referring to Vinyl, well its a different beast entirely. It does give you quite a range in terms of the quality of the vinyl print, ranging all the way from the master copy to the consumer pressed quality (DJ). That phase distortion is an interesting beast too. Just a tiny bit of it can help make something cut through a bit more, like other types of distortion can when used in moderation.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

20437 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 am

simon.a.billington wrote:I think by Abbey Road and J37 you're actually alluding to the ONE tape emulation, the Abbey Road J37... Unless you re referring to Abbey Road Vinyl??

How does it compare against Kramer Tape?? Well, I would see the J37 smoother, less aggressive than the Kramer. It also has three different tape formulations, ranging from old to more new, the Kramer doesn't offer that. But the north do the tape echo, wow and flutter thing as well. Surprisingly, the J37 doesn't sound as old as I thought it would, but I think thats because of the newer tape model.

If on the other hand you were referring to Vinyl, well its a different beast entirely. It does give you quite a range in terms of the quality of the vinyl print, ranging all the way from the master copy to the consumer pressed quality (DJ). That phase distortion is an interesting beast too. Just a tiny bit of it can help make something cut through a bit more, like other types of distortion can when used in moderation.
Thanks. Just wanted to report back that yesterday, for the sale they're running, I picked up...

Abbey Road Vinyl
J37 Tape
Kramer HLS Channel
REDD

Will be starting my next CD "Weather Report" (songs about snow, rain, clouds, etc) in April. I'm going for a real 60s, 70s vibe on this one. If nothing else, it will be a lot of fun to work on.

KVRAF
2092 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 am

wagtunes wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I think by Abbey Road and J37 you're actually alluding to the ONE tape emulation, the Abbey Road J37... Unless you re referring to Abbey Road Vinyl??

How does it compare against Kramer Tape?? Well, I would see the J37 smoother, less aggressive than the Kramer. It also has three different tape formulations, ranging from old to more new, the Kramer doesn't offer that. But the north do the tape echo, wow and flutter thing as well. Surprisingly, the J37 doesn't sound as old as I thought it would, but I think thats because of the newer tape model.

If on the other hand you were referring to Vinyl, well its a different beast entirely. It does give you quite a range in terms of the quality of the vinyl print, ranging all the way from the master copy to the consumer pressed quality (DJ). That phase distortion is an interesting beast too. Just a tiny bit of it can help make something cut through a bit more, like other types of distortion can when used in moderation.
Thanks. Just wanted to report back that yesterday, for the sale they're running, I picked up...

Abbey Road Vinyl
J37 Tape
Kramer HLS Channel
REDD

Will be starting my next CD "Weather Report" (songs about snow, rain, clouds, etc) in April. I'm going for a real 60s, 70s vibe on this one. If nothing else, it will be a lot of fun to work on.
Don’t forget a surf report!! Haha!!

Return to “Effects”