|Product||Kramer Master Tape|
|Type / Tags||Tape Emulation|
|Copy Protection||Online Activation (Challenge / Response)|
Developed in association with Eddie Kramer, the Kramer Master Tape plugin is modeled on a rare machine consisting of an Ampex 350 transport and 351 electronics. With adjustable tape speed, bias, flux, wow & flutter, and noise parameters, the MPX provides comprehensive control over the contours of your sound. And to top it off, Waves added a flexible slap & feedback delay, ideal for rock, dance, dub, you name it. For recording, mixing, mastering, and more, bring the richness and warmth of real tape saturation to your DAW with the MPX Master Tape.
The Dream Team
Special thanks go out to Eric Schilling (Shakira, Gloria Estefan, Natalie Cole, Elton John) who provided Waves with the machine, Bob Olhsson (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross) and especially John Haeny (Bonnie Raitt, Weather Report, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Jim Morrison, Tom Jones), who provided invaluable assistance in the development of the MPX plugin.
- Modeled on the Ampex 350/351 1/4" reel-to-reel.
- Adjustable tape speed, bias, flux, wow & flutter.
- Slap & feedback delay.
- Up to 24-bit 96kHz resolution.
- Mono and Stereo components.
- Supports TDM, RTAS, Audio Suite, VST, AU.
- PC and Mac compatible.
- SPEED selects the simulated tape speed.
- MONITOR selects the monitoring mode.
- BIAS controls the level of the ultrasonic bias signal.
- VU METER displays input or output level.
- VU CALIBRATION controls the VU meter headroom calibration.
- DELAY TIME controls the time of the tape delay effect, with settings for 7.5 ips (266 milliseconds) and 15 ips (133 ms).
- DELAY TYPE toggles between delay modes.
- FEEDBACK controls the amount of the delayed output signal.
- LOWPASS controls the LP cutoff frequency on the delay path.
- RECORD LEVEL controls the input level.
- LINK I/O links Record and Playback Levels controls.
- PLAYBACK LEVEL controls the total signal output level.
- FLUX controls the level of simulated magnetic radiation emitted from the record head.
- WOW & FLUTTER controls the speed and gain modulations and fluctuations.
- NOISE controls the level of added modeled noise but not noise modulations and signal additive noise.
Reviewed By MadAnthony81
April 7, 2014
I'm rating this a 10 because I think it sounds genuinely authentic. It has a hard sound to it contrary to most tapes. Possibly could be used in something like Dubstep or Metal. Definitely Industrial music.
It is possible on the right settings to get it to sound softer in the presence and harshness aspect.Read more
Reviewed By jam92189
August 15, 2012
- I am redoing my original review. not because people complained but because I have started using this a little more since then just to see what I thought. I like it. its still not a amazing tape sound but the controls are pretty dope and simple.
- I still like the slap delay and I like how 15 and 7.5 ips do make actually a difference.
- 15Ips has more high end. and 7.5ips is a nice subtle DEesser if you need it. saturation is still pretty nice. I do love how you can change the calibration on all of the plugins in the bundle thats awesome I still love the eq and comp. and think this thing is pretty good for what it is.
- but to be honest Its not worth the price just alone. I would say go to Waves universe get it on sale as a bundle you wont be disappointed.
- I do like how this does not really kill transients easy thought that is always a plus in any tape style plugin. a lot of bad ones just do massive compression.
- Now as far as CPU goes I have a good computer so I can have a good amount of plugins on at once. but I notice it does use a little more CPU than other great tape emulations I own. still not much more though.
- I am not a fan of moving parts I think its tacky. someone said you can stop it from spinning I know that. I still think its tacky so no matter what I don't like that.
- oh and its stable as hell no crashes with any of the plugins I have used always a plus.
- okay so.
- Looks amazing.
- Quality good.
- Sound good.
- CPU pretty good.
- Stability great.
- Control good.
- Learning curve easy.
- Moving parts are tacky.
- Uses a little more CPU than other plugins of its kind.
- Not the best tape emulation.
- Pricy for it alone but not bad in a bundle.