KVR Developer Challenge 2018 Wish List

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mine is: MIDI Pattern Duplicate Finder

Hello developers, music-makers, y'all.

On the chance that developers even look at this page and that they consider input, I thought I needed to submit an idea that could become real and end up being useful not only to me but to others as well. Just a suggestion, is all.

My idea is for a software that would examine a midi track (or even better, maybe batch search entire multi-track midi files, thousands of them in different folders) and look for duplicates measure by measure or bar by bar in 4/4 time, with options that can be switched on and off.

In both multi-track midi files and single track midi files, it could be used to search for drum pattern duplicates, bass pattern duplicates, guitar riff duplicates, etc, even melody duplicates. Heck, you could maybe even use it to search your own midi song and see how repetitive you are composer-wise.

But if for one example, you use it on a Beatles song, you could find out how many times Ringo used the same drum patterns measure for measure or bar by bar on that one song. You could also use it to find Paul's duplicate bass patterns, if any. One could do it manually but what are computers for? I like speed. Time is short, right?

Yeah so, if, for another example, you have downloaded many many many many midi drum patterns from the net, you could use such software to find drum pattern duplicates by the thousands, or more.

Existing software that I am aware of only finds duplicate files by looking at the midi file size. Those software can be faulty because two midi files that have the same musical "note for note" contents might have extra info that one or the other file do not have. One file can have panning or CC 10 info thus increasing the file size while the other file(s) can have a different volume control info or CC 7 and thus having a different file size.
Some duplicate file finder software also looks at file content but not at the "exact" midi note sequence themselves.

Anyways, about options to switch on and off, one would be, for example, "find duplicated midi note sequence only but ignore that midi sequence's midi velocity".
Another option would be, "find a sequence or set of midi timing but ignore the corresponding midi note sequence" or in other words "look only at the rhythm".

At the moment, I can't think of other search options to switch off and on but I'm sure they exist. Oh wait, a function to add to that software could be "delete all duplicates and then save that duplicate-less track".

Is this type of free software too big and too complex a job? If it is too much a hassle or not worth it then of course never mind.

Okay, thanks, that's all I got for now in terms of a type of software. Maybe I can add other different suggestions later on. Guitar amp plugins maybe. What about y'all? What do you wish developers would develop for KVR DC 2018?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Something creative instead of bread n butter stuff.

Can some developer pull off something close to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNiQt8QLEiA

festeringheap wrote:Can some developer pull off something close to this?

Hahahaa! Man ...

... that would be quite really fantastic - easy guitar parts out of
shit - and most every guitarist would become needless and
redundant!

This Plugin is awesome - a must-have! But - everybody
knows it - this video was created on the first of april!

I don't wanna be a killjoy: If any developer here feels
so ingenious that he can put such a plugin into practice
then: Go for it!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

festeringheap wrote:Can some developer pull off something close to this?

Ha! Pity the poster didn't quite hold back posting for those vital few minutes.

If anyone does manage to create a version, please write "variance" instead of "varience", or my download manager will reject it. Cheers.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

-Something that will make me a potato
-Distorque Azurite but with a bigger GUI

My suggestion: Multiband-Exciter :D

Still interesting is a "multiband-exciter". Two decades ago the
Aphex-Exciter was an important element in every mastering setup.
Nowadays there are many exciters which were working in a similar
way, just like the first Aphex-device did. BUT today there are only
few multiband-exciters!

For a decent processing of single sounds and for a good
mastering a multiband-exciter can make the difference!
The field of multiband-exciters is still an interesting and
rewarding area for VST-developers.

A multiband-exciter which enables fine tuning of a
chosen frequency band, so that small deficiencies of a
sound or of a mix can be corrected easily, is very very
appealing.

For instance:

You have a dense mix - and the cello in this mix can't be heard.
It's volume is right, but it is too "contained" and "reserved".
What can you do? The solution could be a multiband-exciter:
You choose the frequency-band of the harmonics of the cello.
This might be around 1.5 khz. And now you increase the
"excitement" in this frequency band a little. And voila: The
cello moves to the front! Suddenly you can hear it!

The cello in this example stands for any instrument or
for vocals.

With a multiband-exciter we can sculpt a sound or a mix -
and so this a crucial tool for any composer and producer.
Considering these thoughts there are way too little multiband-
exciter-plugins available.

For developers there are at least two steps:
1. Create a frequency-band splitter
2. Create an exciter/saturator - for each band.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there are way too little multiband-exciters
existing in the realm of VST-plugins - and so this would be a
very rewarding field for the DC2018. :hyper:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

My wish would be to see the Variety of Sound plugins ported to Windows 64 bits VSTs and MAC AUs . . . but I know that's not gonna happen T___T

Instead I would want something like the SlickHDR, I've never seen something even similar to it. A better version of TDR Proximity would be awesome too.

My wish is for more creative MIDI plugins. Possibly like Brian Eno's Logic Pro X Scripter here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7epY75Wa0

it would be nice to have a VST guitar tab to piano roll who send midi output , with the availability to perform bend / slide .....

heavymetalmixer wrote:My wish would be to see the Variety of Sound plugins ported to Windows 64 bits VSTs and MAC AUs . . . but I know that's not gonna happen T___T

Instead I would want something like the SlickHDR, I've never seen something even similar to it. A better version of TDR Proximity would be awesome too.
+ 10000 for 64 bit VOS plugins... :hyper:

I would like to see 64 bit prodigious synth
I would also like to see some polyphonic vst semi modular synth going on - did someone say a 60 point patch bay..hmm? and a built in sequencer hmmm?
Also a new poly VA synth
a new external midi plugin (midi out)

baaz wrote:
heavymetalmixer wrote:My wish would be to see the Variety of Sound plugins ported to Windows 64 bits VSTs and MAC AUs . . . but I know that's not gonna happen T___T

+ 10000 for 64 bit VOS plugins... :hyper:
Yes to that. While I doubt that there is a realistic chance for the whole collection to be ported at once, I would really love to see another cooperation with the Tokyo Dawn Labs geniuses.

An updated version of Ferric TDS would make sense, since it was released in KVR DC '09 and did win - exactly 9 years ago when the KVR DC 18 will go down.

Then there is Thrillseeker XTC, which won KVR DC 2012 (wow, I'm getting old). An update of that one, including improved gain staging and metering and of course cross-platform within the new Tokyo Dawn Labs framework, would also be great and make a lot of sense.

Will Variety of Sound / Bootsy (hope he is well) + Tokyo Dawn Labs featuring VladG accept the challenge? Will they attempt to try a Hattrick and become KVR legends forever?

I'm pretty sure the rules state that the software has to be original. I'd love to see a FerricTDS update with Tokyo Dawn involved but I doubt it would be allowed in here.

That said though, tape emulations seem to have gained popularity of late so it could be a good idea for another dev to consider.

Love the multiband idea. Perhaps it could also be multi track?

So you have a plugin which shows you the spectra of multiple tracks and allows you to multiband dynamics and eq while keeping several tracks in view.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”