Looking for atmospheric synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Am looking for a VST synth (not samples) for atmospheric pads, basically a sound that is so beautiful the listener wants to cry (I am thinking of adding vocals via MMorph as well). Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. All ideas are highly welcome!

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Adonis (very tweakable too)
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=384

Protoplasm (wave-table based though, but still great sounding)
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1038

SparkySpark wrote:Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. !
I would have proposed Waldorf Largo, but, doesn't quite fit the free/low cost requirement. You should consider it anyway though, if beautiful and atmospheric sound is your thing. :)

Wow,

Thanks for the great replies. For anyone else finding this thread, be sure to check out those links. BTW, I also found another of Serrano's synths, the Orpheus string synth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEbry2lkBo). Even more astonishing perhaps: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... 17&id=2445 (STS-17 by HG Fortune).

Like someone else wrote, I can't believe ProtoPlasm is free. ...and the first one with the weird name :wink: thats quite an unusual synth, so thanks a lot for that one.

On a personal note: Serrano and the late HG Fortune have been a part of my KVR experience since years back. In fact, this is my post number 1000! :o ...and it's posted in the Getting Started forum! :D Like The Smiths (Morrisey) once sang: "that goes to show how little you know". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go MuLab!

chk071 wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. !
I would have proposed Waldorf Largo, but, doesn't quite fit the free/low cost requirement. You should consider it anyway though, if beautiful and atmospheric sound is your thing. :)
Thanks, yes it's beautiful, and much in line with the PPG. I love everything coming from these firms (like PPG Wavegenerator :love: )!
Go MuLab!

"No samples" and "low cost" rules that out somewhat but imho the by far best atmospheric pads instrument is Luftrum Lunaris for the Kontakt Player.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Look up HG Fortune. You can find his synths at http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=HG%20Fortune. Incredible moving atmospheres for free.

Thanks for the Kontakt synth - hadn't heard of it.

The quality and ingenuity of the HG synths are remarkable! I wish someone had ported them to 64 bit, but I assume a bridge will do.

Thanks again!
Go MuLab!

I thought all synths were meant to be atmospheric?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Reaktor has a few I believe, plus it gives the opportunity to design your own. Of course, this can get complex quite quickly.

You can also layer simpler pad sounds to get something more lush or to add more motion. The advantage here is the sparse layers can be panned independently or processed differently with eq, compression, reverb delay or whatever. This has scope to create some incredibly complex or detailed sounds that you couldn’t get for a standard plugin.

simon.a.billington wrote: You can also layer simpler pad sounds to get something more lush or to add more motion. The advantage here is the sparse layers can be panned independently or processed differently with eq, compression, reverb delay or whatever. This has scope to create some incredibly complex or detailed sounds that you couldn’t get for a standard plugin.
This is an interesting concept indeed. I have layered bass sounds, snare drum sounds etc in the past, but never pads. In addition to what you state above, they also have the advantage of the included pads being able to change over time via automation, such as going down in volume during verses.

Thanks for the brilliant idea!
Go MuLab!

Omnisphere 2... You won't stop crying after your wallet weeps..

Thanks for letting me know about firebird and tone2. Actually their Electra and its new Atmospherica soundset would be awesome but it is out of my price range for this project.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”