M-Audio keystation pro-88: has it stood the test of time?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would really like to buy an 88 key MIDI controller, preferably one with lots knobs and faders. I've been using an old Kawai MIDIKey 61 key controller, which must be over 20 years old by now. It's acceptable, but not a knob anywhere in sight.

An M-Audio keystation pro-88 has come up on Craigslist in my local community for $100. I've done forum and review searches on this controller -- and most everything is about 10 years old.

I use Ableton Live as my DAW.

Despite the age of this gear, $100 may be worth taking a risk, but I don't want to just flush that money down the toilet. Thought I'd ping the community and ask if anyone is still using this. Is there anything really bad about this unit that I should consider before purchasing? I would really like to use the knobs to record automation on Live plugins and VSTs. Are the knobs and faders on the unit acceptable for that?

Thanks!

Steve

The keys are horrible. If you want some control over the DAW I would suggest maybe getting a Ableton Push 1 second hand, their prices are good.
dedication to flying

Thanks! I appreciate the response.

Kawai has made some amazing keyboards but I've never used a MIDIKey. Is the key action good?

As far as the Keystation 88 Pro goes, it was popular and fairly well made. I always thought the key action was fairly good, not properly fully weighted but much more solid than many keybeds. With that said, rod_zero is completely right that a Push would be a better controller and it'd be a great choice if your Kawai is as good as the other Kawai's I've used.

Thanks for your feedback. I think the action on the Kawai is very mediocre -- it is springy -- does not feel as good as the Impulse or Arturia Keylab,which I've tried in the local music store. But neither am I a good keyboardist -- I'm not sure I can really differentiate between good and bad action.

The Kawai seems to send MIDI messages to reduce the volume all on it's own. That's an irritant. And it seems that if I am playing a chord, my hands have trouble depressing the middle keys of the chord -- my fingers end up at the top of the keys, near the plastic enclosure. That doesn't happen on a real piano.

Due to the lack of space in my music studio/home office/storage room, I will either end up buying a keyboard with knobs and faders on it to replace the Kawai, or buy something little like the Korg Nanokontrol and affix it to the Kawai with velcro tape. The Push (2) is definitely on my wishlist, but it's pricey, and I'm not sure where I'd put it.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks for responding.

Check out the lower priced Nektar keyboards. They are in the price range of that used Keystation 88 and are set up better as Ableton controllers.

I had a keystation88. Some units suffered from horrible uneven level response. There was a driver or firmware or config update that made it better but it still remember how unnatural things sounded. I bought a fantom f8 to replace it and was immediately happy with that keyboard. I would look for another keyboard unless you are getting the ks88 for free.

the Keystation 88 was the absolute worst piece of shit keyboard I have ever had.
It has horrible keyboard action, bad midi implementation and m-audio support is nonexistent.
I was happy to trade it in @ GC towards a Yamaha kb(K88) I've had ever since.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

Thanks, everyone. I knew I'd get straight answers from the KVR community. I'm going to pass on this keyboard.

Basically,

If you play, use more money. Cheap MIDI controllers have abominable keybeds. In fact, some expensive one have too. I have an akai advance 61 and the keys feel like sponges. I tried the Keylab 88 too and was far from impressed. Extremely noisy keys when played on. At low volumes, you'll hear the mechanical noise more than the actual sound :o :hihi:

For weighted keys. If I didn't have my Kronos 88 I'd go for an older board. Way better build quality with 90s boards and they were made to be played on by musicians, unlike many boards today. I use to own a Roland A90 which was outstanding. Combining an older well built board with a new controller unit like nanokontrol etc. could be the way to go. :)

I always hear great things about old Roland controllers.

Uncle E wrote:I always hear great things about old Roland controllers.
For good reason. They're just better than whatever you can buy these days.

i use to have one I would not recommend any m audio product ever hahah
check out our beat making tutorials here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa_wPj ... 2-PUDq8R8Q

Uncle E wrote:I always hear great things about old Roland controllers.
Agree. I got a "floor model" Edirol branded Roland A-800 MIdi controller for a great deal at Guitar Center and almost everything about it it amazing.* Had it for years.

*The big negative is the aftertouch requires applying a LOT of pressure on the keys. I usually just assign aftertouch to one of the faders.

I always found the KeyStation Pro 88 keybed to be difficult , higher velocity on the black keys for my playing style , personally . However , I do appreciate the midi facilities and connection possibilities with the midi interface , DIN in and out , two ports , usb connectivity , sliders and knobs for days , decent sized screen still working for me , I've had this since 2004 or so , what a beast . So I've chopped her up and it's surprisingly useful , and modular sort of . The circuit boards can easily be removed and there is a decent amount of slack to reposition portions , I've hacked off the pitch bend and mod wheel as a unit and repositioned parts so that it doesn't take up as much room and is much more convenient to my work flow , there it is , that often misunderstood , overused word , my work flow . I eschewed the keybed and associated input circuit , all the boards save for the main board with the usb input can be omitted or included , I really just want the PB CC board , but for now I have the sliders and knobs board mounted as well , this unit is great for re purposing , perhaps I'll make a video about it if anyone is interested , for me it's great to get some use out of this beast , love the midi and CC facilities still , don't miss that horrid keybed at all though .

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”