Made this today in Reason. Neuro style D n B.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very unusual track. Kept my interest. Well done.

What synths used? Did you use Thor?

Nice track. Dark, sci-fi feel to it. The beats are spacious and dubby. Most enjoyable.

Thanks. Some Rex for chopped up beats, subtractor bass at start, Europa for a neuro sounding bass and kong and redrum for main beats. And maelstrom for the noisy type bass.

: )) I have just started putting them out in a day as I was going through a period of just doing bits and not finishing a track. Better rough and ready than nothing eh.

I enjoyed the track - some interesting ideas in there.

Confused as to why you've labelled it as Neuro style D n B.?

I assume you're referring to the Neurofunk sub-genre of D&B? ( I was there writing D&B in the late 90s in the UK when it first evolved)! :0)

For this genre, (not that I personally care about such things) it needs to maybe be:

More uptempo!!! More driving energy?

Include some more elements of heavy duty 'Funk'. Also - some well - developed 'Funk' harmonies?

Throw in some edges of old techstep + sprinklings of House, techno and Jazz?

Yeah not D n B tempo but all the stuff I have been watching on making this stuff have recommended about 95 bpm. Mine is 110 as I felt 95 was too slow. Only been at this for about a year proper now so I’m looking into tempo changes after the break. Going for a noisia type style with it but not quite getting there.

winkie00 wrote:Yeah not D n B tempo but all the stuff I have been watching on making this stuff have recommended about 95 bpm. Mine is 110 as I felt 95 was too slow. Only been at this for about a year proper now so I’m looking into tempo changes after the break. Going for a noisia type style with it but not quite getting there.
All D&B styles / sub-genres (including Neuro) have tempos between 160 - 180bpm...if anything it all gets faster as it continues to develop over the years!

Neuro is still fast, but (more than anything else) incorporates more elements from jazz and funk - jazzy / bluesy melodies and harmonies + use of instruments from those styles + fewer drops.

I like your track, but for me it simply isn't D&B.

I don't know who suggested 95bpm to you, but for me, they are simply wrong!

Neuro D&B artists / classic tracks - check out some of these and you'll hear what I mean:

Ed Rush, Bad Company UK, State Of Mind, Future Prophecies, Gridlok, Black Sun Empire, Calyx, Matrix...

Anyway going for that new noisia 86 bpm : ) Less arguing and more music bud.

https://youtu.be/D4W1W7Ku15M

One of the videos I have watched were they are around 85 bpm and using drum and bass beats.

winkie00 wrote:Less arguing and more music bud
Fair enough, but a few things are mixed up here...

That video tutorial you linked to:

YES..the bpm is 85, but what he doesn't explain is that he has all those beats double-timed...the drums are at 170bpm!

You mentioned Noisia - again, they often have the bpm down low, but when the D&B sections kick in, the actual drums are double-timed against the bpm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50oHjGnnS_0

Listen from around 2 mins 30 secs and you'll hear what I mean!

Same with bands such as Black Sun Empire, Bless, State Of Mind, Rido, N-Phect and Prolix etc.

Not 'having a go' at you at all; just trying to explain that D&B needs those high tempo / high energy drum beats...whatever the underlying BPM is set at in the DAW.

I did enjoy your track, but when the beats kicked in, they were at the same low bpm as the DAW and didn't create a D&B vibe at all...although it was very effective.

Thanks bud, explained it well : )) I will try another version with quicker beats.

Its not so much "quicker beats" as realizing that 80bpm and 160bpm are compatible tempos (so to speak). When I was doing DnB back in the 90s we played live at 160-180 bpm, but would drop into half-time to get that dubby feel for drops, etc ...

I used to sample breaks at 100 - 120 bpm then pitch them up to get that driving DnB thing going.

thecontrolcentre wrote:When I was doing DnB back in the 90s we played live at 160-180 bpm, but would drop into half-time to get that dubby feel for drops, etc ...
Exactly! :0)

Takes me back to late 80s / early 90s and those fluid Ragga Jungle beats combined with Reggae bass lines...all broken up by delay-drenched 'Dub' drop sections...

Still prefer the more 'Jungle-style' beats in general...more flowing, driving yet with an edge of subtlety that some D&B rhythms lack.

thecontrolcentre wrote:we played live at 160-180 bpm
Only ever tried this a couple of times...nearly killed the drummer we brought in! :0)

ChamMusic wrote:
Only ever tried this a couple of times...nearly killed the drummer we brought in! :0)
No live drummer ... Atari STe, Pro-24 and Cheetah samplers doing the beats, with a few analog synths for everything else.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
No live drummer ... Atari STe, Pro-24 and Cheetah samplers doing the beats, with a few analog synths for everything else.
Far more sensible...

Usual electronics + Live drummer + bass player + Sax + me on trumpet or Rhodes...full of massive energy but on the very edge of chaos throughout! :0)

We were doing smooth jazz influenced, LTJ Bukem, Good Looking Records stuff...basically a jazz combo with D&B backing...we had a blast, but we sucked...never had time to rehearse it all properly!

Return to “Music Cafe”