Any Chance of modules for VCV Rack?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:CVilization by mouse: Pain in the ass.
Don't put a mouse in your ass. That's really uncivilized...and poor mouse. :(
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Urs wrote:
sleepcircle wrote:he said "no" in the other thread.

well, not "no," but he said he didn't like vcv at all.
Well, I don't see any revenue stream, nor do I see how it's good for our business in any way. I only see that e.g. Bazille seems expensive in comparison, hence if VCV becomes the new standard in sw modulars, we can bury our own efforts.
Yes and no.. some of the best modules are paid for. It adds up...

Their shop wasn't visible for me - it looked like all free stuff. We have lots of open questions, but no time currently to put into it. We did have a quick peek at some example sources, and it seems easy enough though.

Compared to RE it should be peeanuts easy, yeah?

EvilDragon wrote:Compared to RE it should be peeanuts easy, yeah?
The main cost of RE was the UI, which had to be a 3D model with the lack of a WYSIWYG editor.

For us there was another cost with RE, and that is a proprietary tool chain (compilers and stuff) which is incompatible with large parts of our codebase. We use non-const static memory to share resources between multiple instances of our plug-ins. It took one month to fix more than 1000 compile errors due to this, and we had to deploy a process that automatically copies and patches files necessary for the project. This process went poof when the RE SDK was updated once, and no-one was gonna sit down and redo it.

As far as I can see with VCVR, the UI is a simple SVG background plus a bunch of calls to set up inputs, outputs, knobs and switches. Not sure about LEDs, displays and other widgets, but for most parts this should be doable.

The API seems dead simple. I haven't done a build yet, not sure if we can use our trusty combination of CMake and Xcode/VS.

Anyhow, there's simply no time for this atm, with Hive, Zebra3 and maintenance/NKS/VST3/preset browser updates of everything.

Urs wrote:Anyhow, there's simply no time for this atm, with Hive, Zebra3 and maintenance/NKS/VST3/preset browser updates of everything.
When you and your team find the time to work on this project, please consider porting your software to Softube Modular also.
I guess many of us would be thrilled to be able to use some of your plug-ins within Softube's own (great) platform! :hyper:

Urs wrote: Anyhow, there's simply no time for this atm, with Hive, Zebra3 (...)
Yes please thank you :)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

WolfKay wrote:
Urs wrote:Anyhow, there's simply no time for this atm, with Hive, Zebra3 and maintenance/NKS/VST3/preset browser updates of everything.
When you and your team find the time to work on this project, please consider porting your software to Softube Modular also.
I guess many of us would be thrilled to be able to use some of your plug-ins within Softube's own (great) platform! :hyper:
Well, I'm not sure if Softube would grant us access without a look into our sources. That's a tricky thing.

We are generally open for a lot of things, but neither have any priority right now.

I still think, as I described previously in this thread, that a much more sophisticated "meta plugin" than Rob Papen's Prisma that would offer a single surface interface to many underlying synths, with possibly an optional sophisticated modulation-able sequencer, would bring some similarity with a single-surface VCV rack, but with all the capabilities of sophisticated synths underneath.

Cheers.

bafonso wrote:
Urs wrote:
sleepcircle wrote:he said "no" in the other thread.

well, not "no," but he said he didn't like vcv at all.
Well, I don't see any revenue stream, nor do I see how it's good for our business in any way. I only see that e.g. Bazille seems expensive in comparison, hence if VCV becomes the new standard in sw modulars, we can bury our own efforts.
Yes and no.. some of the best modules are paid for. It adds up...
Well, look at this way Urs:

1. If VCV were to became the new standard in SW modulars and you weren't in on it, that wouldn't be good for business either. You can't control what may become considered the standard (unless you're making it of course). That said, I don't think you have to worry about VCV doing that until they can fully sort out the VST plugin, MIDI Learn, and automation. Not to mention polyphony. Remember RePro-1 and how a vocal chunk of the market couldn't just deal with one note at a time? As VCV gains in popularity, I fully expect the same to happen there.

2. If you were to go the commercial VCV rack option, you could always release a module or modules and make them epensive enough that Bazille won't seem expensive by comparison. "Hey, here's a U-he filter module for $99 (or you can just buy our synths). And here's a step sequencer for $69, and a resonator effect for $49, etc." If VCV became popular enough, and the quality of your modules were high enough, which no doubt your filters are, there'd be a niche that would still buy those types of modules just to have access to them in that environment. Now, if there were someone truly putting out "free U-he quality filters for VCV," yeah, that'd be a threat. As would piracy (not sure how that factors into VCV discussions).

All that said, the idea of an open modular software synthesizer where different companies could put out and sell modules sounds wonderful. I'd love to see that become a reality. Is VCV it? Who knows? But it's off to a pretty good start and it's fun.

Return to “u-he”