Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Topcheese wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote: Sadly Vocaloid is to expensive for me in a forseeable future, do they ever have sales btw?
You mean like this? It might be just for the libraries, but I thought the editor/player was free.
https://zero-g.co.uk/collections/vocalo ... b2d3a741f8
So there's five generations of Vocaloid:

V1: Discontinued so there's not much point of talking about it, but the voicebanks that were released for V1 are LOLA, LEON, and MIRIAM for English and KAITO and MEIKO for Japanese, and these voicebanks cannot be used in V5 under any circumstances (KAITO and MEIKO did get updates for V3 so if you want to use them in V5 you have to buy that version)

V2: Also discontinued right before the release of V5, but very significant in the history of Vocaloid because this is the generation which Hatsune Miku came out in and single-handedly made the software into a cultural phenomenon in Japan, probably allowing the software to last until today (also what caused western media to start misrepresenting Vocaloid as a "singing robot" and also what caused the dedicated Vocaloid userbase to be so distant to the outside music world, but that's for another day). All of the Japanese voicebanks that were introduced in V2 have since gotten updates in V3/V4 so you can legally use them in V5, but none of the English ones have.

V3: Introduced triphones to the engine while also fixing some general weirdness and unfortunately removing the VST support V2 had, which caused a surge in updated rereleases of V2 voicebanks just so they too could have triphones. What's even worse about the V3 generation however, is that on the Japanese side there were a lot of new voicebanks who sound similar to each other that were clearly just trying to cash in on Hatsune Miku's success, while on the English side the companies realized that the only ones who are actually buying Vocaloids were the enthusiasts whom lie around the 14-21 age demographic and therefore started catering to them in both marketing and voice types, which meant no more specialized voicebanks like Tonio and Prima. On the bright side however, this is the generation where AVANNA (a perennial staple of the English Vocaloid community and the one used in Porter Robinson's Sad Machine was introduced, where Chinese/Spanish/Korean voicebanks were introduced, and also a bit nostalgic for myself since this is the generation where IA first came out, my favourite Vocaloid and the voicebank that helped me got past Hatsune Miku's shadow and introduced me to the community (and by proxy music production) proper.

V4: Widely derided on release because it looked exactly the same as V3 but with Growl and XSY, most of the releases in this generation were rereleases, with the few new releases either becoming instant community staples (Otomachi Una, LUMi, DEX, DAINA, Cyber Diva, Xingchen, RUBY) or left to obscurity. Also the one where vflower went from buggy joke-tier in V3 into Top 3 of most used voicebanks in Japan.

V5: The current generation, caused a huge rift in the community on release since on the surface it was so different from the previous generations and designed more for newcomers rather than veterans with the presets and all, to the point where some people threatened to quit because it was insulting the legacy of Vocaloid, but then the controversy swung the other way when people discovered that under the hood V5 is very similar to V4 but with Vocal Fry and removed XSY. And as another departure from the previous generations, this is the generation that introduced Standard Vocals, which intrestingly enough due to the culture of the community by this point immediately got fan-art in droves, with most of them actually looking better than the original art. Aside from them, the only voicebanks that are officially V5 so far are CYBER SONGMAN II and CYBER DIVA II for English and VY1 (who suffered the most with the jump to V5 since her V4 was all about showcasing XSY, which meant that she lost three voices in transition since those voices were made to be combined with the main voice with XSY) and VY2 (joked for years as the one Japanese voicebank that would never get an update) for Japanese, with the upcoming Haruno Sora joining them soon.

IncarnateX wrote:FWIW Wagtunes
I am from a generation where quantised and mechanised electronic music was new and fresh and never heard before. Groups like Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Human League, Tangerine Dream, Alphaville and later Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 and Frontline Assembly taught me to love those mechanical, industrial and futuristic moods. When the sampler workstations arrived and some musicians actually wanted to use them to make realistic arrangements, e.g. working their ass off to make a sampled choir or a sax sound “real”, I thought it was a deroute because the point about electronic music is exactly that it does not sound anywhere near classic instruments. Electronic music is based cold and dead machines that are brought to life by man-machine interaction. The music is a hybrid between something dead and alive, a cyborg, something ugly and beautiful, robots we infuse with a kind of soul. And that is how I feel about Vocaloid. The day I cannot longer recognize it as an artificial singer, it is no longer of any interest in my concept of electronic music.

I have been around your corner in the music cafe and think your use of Vocaloid is charming. As artificial as it should be. There are still words and phrases there could be more pronounced etc. but not to an extent where the artifical flavour should vanish, imo.

My 2 cents and a recommendation for you to continue exactly what you do without further distraction.

Take care, mate.
^this.
It's a pointless endeavour trying to chase realism with Vocaloid, considering that even the song deemed most realistic by the community, using a Japanese voicebank (which is phonetically simpler than English), AND also post-processed with Melodyne (the producer said it one time on his blog but then pulled out that statement because "trade secret"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkLJoFp2UAE
Is still quite far a ways off.

It's much better to use Vocaloids for the types of songs that are impossible/near-impossible for a human to do even with editing like this one (it took people years to figure out how to cover this song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnIFo3xMfY
That way you'd have a real niche for Vocaloid to fill.

Sorry I only have 10 posts right now, I had lots of IRL issues to deal with what with college.
Last edited by NoirSuede on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoirSuede wrote:That way you'd have a real niche for Vocaloid to fill.

Sorry I only have 10 posts right now, I had lots of IRL issues to deal with what with college.
Even more than being a singer, I think it's useful as just a sound effect, or to put some highlights into a techno song like you might with a vocoder where it's just a few words or so. Or in a song where you just need some random sing songy "millennial whoop" type lyrics aaaye oh ayyy oh oh oh lol

Yeah, chasing realism with Vocaloid is nonsense. What I often miss in Vocaloid tunes in intent. Like, there is almost never a creative reason in Vocaloid songs to use Vocaloid, they almost always could have been done way better using a real singer. I think it would be way more productive to focus on the things Vocaloid can do that a human voice can't do.

To stay with my Radiohead examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpLjPCBaq-0

That's obviously not Vocaloid, but in that song the computer voice was used for a reason. It wouldn't work half as well with a real voice, the impact would totally be lost.

damayor wrote:How do you use this in vst? I wanted to use it in Fl studio but all I see is rewire which I can use in sonar.
Vocaloid5 autoinstalls to a nonstandard location in Windows, you have to add path c:\program files\common files\vst2 to your daw's config.

Delta Sign wrote:What I often miss in Vocaloid tunes in intent. Like, there is almost never a creative reason in Vocaloid songs to use Vocaloid, they almost always could have been done way better using a real singer.
What about, say, songwriters who don't want to collaborate with a real singer to articulate their very personal feelings? To quote Crow T. Robot, "You can say stuff with a puppet you can't in person". Would this not be a creative use of Vocaloid?

This is finally the end of all beauty. May depend slightly on style, but it somehow leads you to writing lyrics from a preset bank. Not that I can find much sense in modern popular music so far, but this IKEA of songwriting outbids everything else. "Oh - so - long - time's running out"

hannesmenzel wrote:This is finally the end of all beauty. May depend slightly on style, but it somehow leads you to writing lyrics from a preset bank. Not that I can find much sense in modern popular music so far, but this IKEA of songwriting outbids everything else. "Oh - so - long - time's running out"
I have no idea what you're ranting about. Music is music. It isn't the tool that makes or ruins music. It's the musician. Vocaloid is no better or worse at making music than a Moog, Oberheim or any other synth or sampler.

Stop blaming the tools for whatever you find wrong with today's music.

hannesmenzel wrote:This is finally the end of all beauty. May depend slightly on style, but it somehow leads you to writing lyrics from a preset bank. Not that I can find much sense in modern popular music so far, but this IKEA of songwriting outbids everything else. "Oh - so - long - time's running out"
The program does come with preset phrases you could use, but the meat and potatoes of the program is you can do whatever you want. There's a piano roll interface, midi import, direct phoneme editing, vocal quality parameter automation, and multiple voice-types to choose from. Want to have a japanese high school girl singing gregorian chants at the upper limit of what the human ear can hear? You can do it! Have an operatic Tenor sing Britney Spears with a ridiculous amount of formant filter applied? You can do it! It may not be understandable, but as an instrument, there's all sorts of amazing possibilities that can be achieved.

The preset phrases are mainly there for beginners and for those who want inspiration. An advantage of the vocaloid phrases is once you load them, you can change them however you like. You can't do that with your average vocal sound library.

Vocaloid has given tons of bedroom producers the freedom to invent their own weird, ambitious, and often deeply personal forms of pop music, and I think there's a lot of value in that. There's an incredible amount of creativity and talent to be found among Vocaloid producers (some of whom have later gone on to do more far-reaching work with live vocalists, like Ryo from Supercell/EGOIST).
I remember people saying things like this when GarageBand first came out too. Pre-recorded clips of singers and other performers have been on the market for decades and haven't ended music yet. And as baggagelizard mentions above, as an instrument this is far more flexible than any of those.

esselfortium wrote:Vocaloid has given tons of bedroom producers the freedom to invent their own weird, ambitious, and often deeply personal forms of pop music, and I think there's a lot of value in that. There's an incredible amount of creativity and talent to be found among Vocaloid producers (some of whom have later gone on to do more far-reaching work with live vocalists, like Ryo from Supercell/EGOIST).
Keep in mind that Ryo is a Japanese rock producer who only uses Japanese Vocaloids, which are not only in average of higher quality due to their higher budgets, but also easier to achieve realism due to the Japanese language itself;

You guys are gonna pull your hairs out if you guys want to try to mimic Ryo with English Vocaloids.

Here's some of Ryo's songs that he did with Vocaloid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4147SAYlm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsWwX2-aKJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ck6atNM0I

SirkusPi wrote: I’d never heard of these, but Emvoice Soho in particular sounds promising (and, given the demo videos, plainly will have a Logic plugin to boot). I’ve already singned up for the public Beta alert mailing list; I’m looking forward to this one.
Thanks! For those who are interested, Emvoice One (new name of the plugin) will be released in early beta on August 15th. You can sign up on www.emvoiceapp.com (Mac only for now). Here is a video for those who haven't heard it. Full disclosure: I'm the CEO of Emvoice.
https://youtu.be/OPcwE9a3oHQ
Express Yourself.

rodyy wrote:
SirkusPi wrote: I’d never heard of these, but Emvoice Soho in particular sounds promising (and, given the demo videos, plainly will have a Logic plugin to boot). I’ve already singned up for the public Beta alert mailing list; I’m looking forward to this one.
Thanks! For those who are interested, Emvoice One (new name of the plugin) will be released in early beta on August 15th. You can sign up on http://www.emvoiceapp.com (Mac only for now). Here is a video for those who haven't heard it. Full disclosure: I'm the CEO of Emvoice.
Any chances for a Windows release? This looks incredibly promising, and I appreciate that you guys aren't slapping a mascot in front of it like other vocal synths.

NoirSuede wrote: Any chances for a Windows release? This looks incredibly promising, and I appreciate that you guys aren't slapping a mascot in front of it like other vocal synths.
We're already working on the PC version! It should be available for test in 2-3 months.
And yes, about the "mascot" I think we have a different approach. People love (or hate) Vocaloid because of its specific, signature engine sound. whereas we're trying to offer a generic, transparent vocal synth. So we're not planning on creating characters for our voices.
Express Yourself.

vst workflow in Vocaloid5 is absolutely clunky, but I've discovered that the rewire version does let you trigger playback, audition, and loop completely within the V5 window. Less switching back and forth

Probably won't bother with the vsti now, even though I wanted one for years...
rodyy wrote:So we're not planning on creating characters for our voices.
Thanks for this, btw.

since people are talking competitors there's also Cevio Creative Studio, a japanese tts-based singing synth which recently came out with its first english db:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yZDy_0Vr0#t=14s

http://1stplace.co.jp/software/cevio/ia_english_c/

IA English C is based on, of all things, a Vocaloid3 product:

http://www.vocaloid.com/en/products/show/v3l_ia_en

Pelicanomicon wrote:since people are talking competitors there's also Cevio Creative Studio, a japanese tts-based singing synth which recently came out with its first english db:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yZDy_0Vr0#t=14s
Very interesting, thanks. It's good to know Emvoice is not alone trying to offer something new in this field :)
I found a longer demo song here https://youtu.be/vrE0ylOeSCs

In my opinion, this is a nice improvement over anything that's been commercially released at this point. Some lines may even be mistaken for a real singer, at least with heavy arrangements behind. Nice job.
Express Yourself.

Return to “Instruments”