What's the point of hardware synths?(Drunken rant,ha)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have always used and wanted to use hardware synths(20 years) and thought softsynths are a sort of mediocre means to an end. But I'm finding some softsynths have a sound that is truly amazing. I used zebra today after years of ignoring it and thought why the hell don't I use this anymore, it sounds stunning, almost perfect, infact I can't imagine how sound could get better! Are there any softsynths that give you that feeling of pure sonic bliss like analogue synths provide?

Most of u-he.
Pulsar 900 Series Modular Synthesizer (Mac only).
For me anyway.
Edit: Xils, definitely.
Last edited by nordickvr on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

u-he synths are excellent.
So are some Xils and GForce, amongst others.
I like LUSH-101 too.
I'm sure you'll get many more suggestions: it is a very popular topic of discussion here.

There are MANY threads at KVR about similar ideas and recommendations: you'll benefit from reading them.

Software synths have had a remarkable development in terms of quality during the past 10 years.
However, to compare them to hardware synths (unless a software clone is intended) is often to do them a disservice. They often offer many advantages above and beyond direct comparisons with hardware synths.

Finally, to answer the question - hardware synths are great for hands-on control and sound. Less for portability and taking up space (and also often for recall if an analogue dinosaur etc).

Many of us use a hybrid setup of hardware and software.

I was tempted to buy hardware once but came to my senses. The Roland unit I was about to drop a thousand bucks on had some voice chip issue so I backed out of it. Put that money to good use buying soft synths.

I'm not into old unreliable electronics, noise, brittle aging plastic, and just taking up valuable studio space for very little, if any, audible difference compared to the VST equivalent. Not worth the maintenance.

The same goes for mixers, consoles, effects, amps, and even drums. ITB all the way. Love digital.

Its all good especially quality hardware.The only thing i avoid are external digital mixers.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

beater wrote:I have always used and wanted to use hardware synths(20 years) and thought softsynths are a sort of mediocre means to an end.
Hardware synths are easier to use when drunk.
Assuming you're just playing, and not designing sounds.
And you're right about Zebra!
Cheers

Haha true.

Gunna check out the xils stuff. Cheers guys.

I bought a hardware synth after I already had tons of great softsynth plugins. I didn’t buy it after having any beers either. :hihi:

Considering Hans Zimmer's opinion about Zebra, and how other soft synths "break apart when used on big cinema sound systems", he should try some more of the current generation soft synths. Pretty sure he will rest his point pretty quickly. ;)

Turning on a computer makes me feel like I'm back in the office.

Turning on a hardware synth and firing up a bank of Moogerfoogers makes me feel like making terrible music.
eh?

Fair point. :tu:

how about the fact that hardware synths have the potential to appreciate in value (and of course many have) meanwhile you may be able to sell a soft synth but it will depreciate and actually because most often a transfer fee is involved someone has to literally pay to sell it?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Been trying to change the ratio in my hybrid setup to be more software than hardware. However, I'm finding that more live players prefer their hardware boards. Top reasons seem to be;

Self-containment. (Less cords and external boxes.)
Portability.
Dependability. (Road worthy.)
Immediacy. (Hands on machine rather than mouse.)

Now a laptop is very portable, but everyone I talk to that uses one stresses the need to always have a backup and stresses the fact of their experience that problems are not an 'if' but a 'when'. Which happens far more than their hardware counterparts. And they all speak to the idea that one backs up, not replaces, the other.

There are a lot of great analog emulations. RePro, Legend, the Roland Cloud synths, XILS, etc. Love them.

However, they all are a bit CPU intensive. I've got a decent i7, and I find that with effects plugins, I'm starting to push my CPU into cracklelandia fairly easily if I've got a couple of them going on. So, I also keep a handful of analog and hybrid synths around to keep my CPU cycles free for running effects and other stuff. RePro might sound as good as my Prophet 6, but the hardware synth requires little CPU to run it and it's always on "HQ" mode.

Also, software isn't as good at emulating things like distortion and feedback as well as hardware is. Some are decent, but when I compare them to my hardware synths, they always lose. Even my cheap Bass Station 2 blows everything I've ever heard in software away.

Then, there are specific character traits of synths. Yeah, we've got a couple of great Model D emulations, but I love my Spectral Audio Neptune 2, and no one is emulating it, and probably never will. Same holds true for my Tetras and my Tempest. So, if you happen to fall in love with a modern synth that probably won't be emulated for a long time, you've got no choice but to own those hardware synths or go without.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Smells like a shill thread

Return to “Instruments”