Thesys lighting up action keys by itself

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Big fan of sugar bytes here. You guys make the best machines !!

I've had thesys for a while. Last time I opened it I was stumped with this problem, and I closed it and havent opened it again for many months. I need to get to the bottom of why thesys is doing this.

Im in FL studio 20 64bit, on windows 8.1 64bit with 8gb of ram
I have a simple pattern with just 2 channels.
synthmaster set to midi input 3
Thesys set to midi output 3
I've put a few random notes into the thesys piano roll, flicked through some presets, pressed power on and play in the pattern sequencer section on the bottom right. All the notes have velocity and its on pattern 1.

The sequences play but no matter what preset I choose, or even if I randomize all 5 sequencers, 2 squares in the action section ( velo gate and manual step ) will light up at the end of the pattern so there is a brief 2 second pause before the pattern starts again. The piano keys at the bottom that correspond to the action section will also light up, and the pattern selector changes 3 times at the lower end of the keyboard.

Its almost like theres an automation track somewhere, but I haven't set anything to automate.

Would be grateful if someone at sugar bytes could help me get to the bottom of this.
Thanks in advance =)

This is them lighting up on their own......
thesys.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi 2NDMOUSE,

ok, the incoming MIDI is to start/stop the sequencer of Thesys, trigger/switch patterns, transpose them and to activate some special action functions. The action section, pattern and pitch keys will always respond to the MIDI notes which correspond to those in Thesys.

In FL Studio normally the first key of the Pattern Keys responds to note C3 which means C3=Pattern1, C#3=Pattern2, D3=Pattern3 and so on.

With E4-B4 the Action Section will be triggered (E4=Gate Time, F4=Velo Gate, F#4=Looper and so on).
So please first have a look if you might play or draw a note in this keyboard section.
Untitled-1.jpg
If not, please note that the Action Section can also be MIDI learned. So maybe check if your controller/track is possibly sending CCs. The related CC should be displayed when you right click on the related button. There you should click CLEAR to clear any assignments.
Untitled-2.jpg
Hope this helps.

Best,
Nadine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Nadine
The first part of that makes sense as this is the note pattern I was using, and some of these notes seem to be acting as triggers then.
notes.png
Doesn't Thesys require "musical" notes in the instrument piano roll at all, or are they are only required to trigger midi event data such as changing from pattern 1 to pattern 5 ?

If that's the case, how can I build polyphonic sequences ?

Hi 2NDMOUSE,

due to the classical stepsequencer architecture there is no direct way to play the synth.
Thesys basically generates a monophonic sequence with chords on top.
So when a note is held down Thesys runs through a sequence rather than just playing a single note or chords via its keyboard.
But a click on a step in the Chord row opens the Chord Palette with a vast choice of chord types and inversions.
Untitled-3.jpg
The chord is based on the current note in the pitch sequencer.
In other words, if the pitch sequencer shows note C on a step with a minor chord on it, the resulting chord will be C minor.

You can also use the Pitch Keys - with C5 upwards- to determine the root note of the sequence

Best,
Nadine

Return to “Sugar Bytes”