Octaver effect (AU) anywhere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tough to believe but I couldn't find anything replicating, say, a typical Boss Octaver.
In the digital world, the one in Boss' GT units seems to work well (surprise...) and I even prefered the one in the Line6 M13 I owned for a while. But none of them is available as a plugin - oh well, that's actually not true, the Line6 one should be, as Helix/native contains all of their legacy FX. But I won't shell out 400 bucks just because I'd like an octaver.
Tried the ones coming with NIs GR4 and Logics Pedalboard - plain horrible, artefacts galore, whereas the hardware units have none as long as you play cleanly.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

This is free and can tune to -12 or +12.

https://aegeanmusic.com/pitchproof-Specs

I spent some time, many years ago, copying the schematic of OC-2 (a mate claimed mine and didn't want to let it go) in Plogue Bidule. I can probably redo it in Reaktor if you don't have Bidule, but do you have either?

If you're on Win ..aaah, just noticed you mention Logic.. otherwise I would have mentioned this http://christopherhooker.com/plug-ins.htm

Metric Halo Thump might be a good alternative otherwise

I'm going to finish my Bidule version of OC2 in the meantime.

CinningBao wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 pm Metric Halo Thump might be a good alternative otherwise
Thanks for the tip, already installed it (I mean, it's free, so what...), but it doesn't follow the input pitch at all, so that's not exactly what I'd like to have. Might be useful for other things, though, so thanks again.

Ah damn, sorry about that. Yeah, I remember know - I only deemed it useful for percussion layers. Do you have Reaktor or Bidule?

onerob wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm This is free and can tune to -12 or +12.

https://aegeanmusic.com/pitchproof-Specs
Thanks, that's not too bad, just that it comes with quite some latency (hardware octavers have pretty much zero latency) and uhm - now that's a CPU hog, at least on my machine.

CinningBao wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm Ah damn, sorry about that. Yeah, I remember know - I only deemed it useful for percussion layers. Do you have Reaktor or Bidule?
Reaktor 5, yes. But to be honest, I never did anything within it (part of Komplete), so I'd need a premade thingy. Do you think I should have a look at the user library?

That's what I was going to do - copy my design from Bidule to Reaktor - I've got 5 so I can build in that if you need something simple.

Looking the Reaktor library I don't really see much in this Octaver field, but you could try "SOOG" or "Octaver"; they might tickle your fancy.

CinningBao wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 pm That's what I was going to do - copy my design from Bidule to Reaktor - I've got 5 so I can build in that if you need something simple.

Looking the Reaktor library I don't really see much in this Octaver field, but you could try "SOOG" or "Octaver"; they might tickle your fancy.
Thanks a lot, guess I'll have a look later on.
Basically all I need is one octave down and nothing else. Ok, the digital versions of both Boss and Line6 have a special sort of tone control, allowing you to somewhat change the timbre, but I'd be fine without that and just use an EQ.

Fwiw, I need this for very quick'n'dirty basses when I don't feel like putting my guitar down. So good timing and not running into glitch heaven are vastly more important than any detailed sound aesthetics. Epecially the Line6 incarnation was perfect for that. In fact it was so good, I tried to record an actual bass track with it - didn't work out, but being tempted to try such a thing at all says a lot about the quality. For anything elaborated I'd go for some bass programming, fire up my guitar-to-MIDI converter (currently the pickup isn't even installed) or, well, use a real bass. But that octaver thing was one of my most used FX for practising, teaching and quick layouts back when I had that M13. i thought by now there'd be something decent in plugin land, especially given that the originals are - what? - 40 years old or so.
Maybe I should just buy the TC Nether pedal or something.

Fwiw, I checked various Reaktor FX by now - and while some of them are intresting, others even outstanding, none of them manages to even remotely do the simple octaving job nicely, they all seem to have more or less massive tracking issues, even with an EQ in front of them to filter out what might be "offending" frequencies. When I read about the "Octaver" to deliver one version based on plain frequency divisions, I thought that this might be it (because that's what the hardware units are actually doing), but in the end it turned out to be among the most glitchiest of the bunch I tried so far.
Thanks CinningBao, nonetheless - believe it or don't, I have never used Reaktor as an effect before and there's a whole lot of very interesting things to explore.

Still searching for a simple octaver, though.

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am Still searching for a simple octaver, though.
There's a stomp module named octav in IK Amplitube, which mimics BOSS OC-2.
You can get one for cheap (10 euro or so for the module only) if you buy a la carte in custom shop.

DOD505 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 pm There's a stomp module named octav in IK Amplitube, which mimics BOSS OC-2.
You can get one for cheap (10 euro or so for the module only) if you buy a la carte in custom shop.
Thanks - I might give the demo a try (if there is one).

For pitch shifting I use Little AlterBoy from Soundtoys. Haven't tried it on guitar so can't say how well it tracks but it's more stable with my 0-Coast than the M4L one in Ableton Live. Click the link button between the Pitch and Formant controls to do basic shifting.
Image Image Image Image

free good one:

Audiowish
Octave Shifter 2

http://www.audiowish.com/audio-units/oc ... ifter.html

wakax wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:39 pm free good one:

Audiowish
Octave Shifter 2

http://www.audiowish.com/audio-units/oc ... ifter.html
That's pretty much good enough in terms of quality. Unfortunately the latency it adds at acceptable settings is really quite huge. I'll see what I can do with the quicker modes and some pre-filtering, though. Thanks!

Return to “Effects”