Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 pm I'm glad Z3 is not planned to have samples as I like the focus on synthesis. There is a lot of territory to explore on that front! :love:
The point I've been trying to make is that samples are synthesis. They're not your common generated waveforms like Saw,Square,Sine, and Triangle but samples are just as much a part of synthesis.

You can apply a filter to a sample (in most plugins that have sample import) and so on and on. If you view a sample based Osc like you do a Saw wave based Osc then you'll see they are both "synthesis".

Samples wouldn't replace anything just augment Zebra 2 and provide even more "territory to explore"....a lot more. :tu:

But after three years of feature requests building up for Zebra 3 no telling what will be added....or when. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 pm
rootaudio wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:49 pm
Urs definitly doesn't view it as part of sound(design)creation and I do aggree he is wrong on that.
Fortunately your opinion doesn't decide things (sorry). It is Urs company and work and he can choose what he wants to do and not to do. I'm glad Z3 is not planned to have samples as I like the focus on synthesis. There is a lot of territory to explore on that front! :love:
Uncalled-for. Look at the name of this thread again. We're all here expressing our opinions.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 pm
rootaudio wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:49 pm
Urs definitly doesn't view it as part of sound(design)creation and I do aggree he is wrong on that.
Fortunately your opinion doesn't decide things (sorry). It is Urs company and work and he can choose what he wants to do and not to do. I'm glad Z3 is not planned to have samples as I like the focus on synthesis. There is a lot of territory to explore on that front! :love:
Haha why the backhanded attitude, I'm not crying about it and it's just my opninion. Nothing wrong with vouching for the product that is almost prefect for me to be evern more useful or dare is say "pErFEcT" (as I said I won't bother Urs with it again). If it had sampling and you don't care for it, you could just, not use it.. Again sampling is not, not synthesis depending on how you perform it so your argument is you know, 50/50. Zebra pretty much owns almost every synthesis method there is already, they can be expanded but there isn't something radical to be added (phsyical modelling part of it could be stronger)... Do you know Kaivo by Madrona Labs? Use it for a wile and then try to make the sounds it can make in Z2, good luck. After that try to argue that the sounds that come out of Kaivo are not unique and make the argument again that "sampling" is not synthesis or that it is not expressive. You won't, unless your ignorant.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:52 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 pm I'm glad Z3 is not planned to have samples as I like the focus on synthesis. There is a lot of territory to explore on that front! :love:
The point I've been trying to make is that samples are synthesis. They're not your common generated waveforms like Saw,Square,Sine, and Triangle but samples are just as much a part of synthesis.

You can apply a filter to a sample (in most plugins that have sample import) and so on and on. If you view a sample based Osc like you do a Saw wave based Osc then you'll see they are both "synthesis".
It's just semantics... shall we call what I'm referring to algorithmic synthesis?

There is a basic difference between the two. A sample is fixed. Yes you can filter it and manipulate it in some crude ways. But it is fixed. That is why we end up with complex multi-sampled instruments with round robins, velocity layers and samples per key. Because the sample itself cannot be effectively changed to fulfill the task so that is why you need a lot of them.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:52 pm

It's just semantics... shall we call what I'm referring to algorithmic synthesis?

There is a basic difference between the two. A sample is fixed. Yes you can filter it and manipulate it in some crude ways. But it is fixed. That is why we end up with complex multi-sampled instruments with round robins, velocity layers and samples per key. Because the sample itself cannot be effectively changed to fulfill the task so that is why you need a lot of them.
A sample can be bent/modulated just like any other wavetable/waveform? A VA saw wave is "fixed" too, there is no such thing. Clearly you could spend some time learning more about sampling. Of course I understand just slamming some sample into a sampler and letting it play is not exactly creative. But that is an incredibly ignorant sense of what sampling is. Also the only algorithmic form of synthesis in Z2 would be the comb filters or all the (amazing) spectral stuff, 50%.

You're argument by the way is ignorant again. The instruments you are reffering to are instruments that are there to emulate real instruments. Some physical modelling vst's come really close, to emulating a single cello for example, but you can still hear it's fake and they can't emulate and orchestra. Because they are emulating an analog instrumet that actually truly has an incredible amount of complexity in timbre because of the fact that humans play them. It's a joke of a comparison. A creative granular sampler won't need all those sampling layers, round robins and whatnot to create the sonic complexity, it will have similair modulations like any "algorithmic" synth and similair playability.
Last edited by rootaudio on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rootaudio wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:48 pmClearly you should spend some time actually learning sampling.
Let's see... I currently have 2 hardware samplers, with 2 more (one eurorack) on the way. I've got multiple software samplers and other software instruments that depend on samples.

Anyway, your posts have become too aggro for me, and I don't appreciate the name calling.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:16 pm
rootaudio wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:48 pmClearly you should spend some time actually learning sampling.
Let's see... I currently have 2 hardware samplers, with 2 more (one eurorack) on the way. I've got multiple software samplers and other software instruments that depend on samples.

Anyway, your posts have become too aggro for me, and I don't appreciate the name calling.
Ahw cmon you started being backhanded with that being happy I don't call the shots on what get's in Z3 haha it's just a forum, if you make banter you need take it back too :)

If you have a suggestion for a good sampler vst please tell me. Atm I use pigments when I'm working on some elses righ but on my own the ableton samplers + the mangle.

Wait to continue the banter, having samplers doesn't mean that you use them in interesting ways ;)

*I edited previous post to be more friendly.

For me a synthesizer generates the waves that will be manipulated (like filters). A sample is a wave that was already generated and is just played back. Sure you can manipulate it but since it wasn't generated, for me that isn't synthesis. For me a synthesizer is a generator, if it don't generates waves of it's own, it's not a synth. Wavetable, granular, FM, AM, subtractive, additive, they generate their own waves. Sample playback don't.

Wavetable, granular, FM, AM, subtractive, additive, they generate their own waves. Sample playback don't.
No, they don't. Of course FM can also be done with truly analog oscillators, but many of the most common ones, especially the old ones, use stored samples, same with wavetable and granular synths
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Can you add module route presets for the columns, for instance filter => noise => comb or whatever ? One thing I don't like is the longer time it takes to setup things. Just like in Hive with the enveloppes, filters and modulation Matrix slots. So it's managed by the user, not just fixed presets ofc.
That could appear when right cliking on a slot so we can write a chain of modules onward from the position of clicked slot. If there's no room left in the column we could display a small red icon next to the text for instance.
I would like this a lot because I like to do things quick when I'm in the flow, Hive is good for this but I can't imagine how great that would be on the next Zebra.

I also want quality options like in Diva. For FM patches for isntance, the aliasing can make the sound very different. Just for this it's worth implementing in my opinion.

Return to “u-he”