Dune 3! Who Knows Things I Don't?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... just incase tho.... F5 F5 F5

Wouldn't something like Arrakis be a more appropriate celestial body to land on with Dune? :hihi:

Hmmmm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AnX wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm ... just incase tho.... F5 F5 F5
This is sadistik! :cry:

Please stop, I have other thing to do, can't keep pressing F5 until the end of November!

Delta Sign wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm Wouldn't something like Arrakis be a more appropriate celestial body to land on with Dune? :hihi:
All i need is the Spice!

Cinebient wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:46 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm Wouldn't something like Arrakis be a more appropriate celestial body to land on with Dune? :hihi:
All i need is the Spice!
no thanks. ive seen enough spice zombies at the bus station to know it's not for me!

Anx, I don't like this kind of jokes :clown:
Now I need to refresh every hour and I don't know if i will sleep tonight :x
Thanks for the info :hug:
Best
YY

dandezebra wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 am A prophet release, eh? Competition for Repro?
Yes, a Prophet emulation would be interesting. Forget about Dune and that whole exaggerated unison and wavetable stuff...

dandezebra wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 am A prophet release, eh? Competition for Repro?
Wonder what's the point after u-he just killed it with RePro.. :shrug: A Oberheim emu would be much more to my liking.

The Shadow Knows

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 pm
Wonder what's the point after u-he just killed it with RePro.. :shrug: A Oberheim emu would be much more to my liking.
Yes, Oberheim would be more interesting. Maybe he had already started the Prophet emulation when U-he released theirs.
Then again, the SA emulation of the Prophet would probably use way less CPU, also due to the absence of those CPU-devouring RePro effects.

Plus, the Legend was also released after Monark, yet it is very popular.

The Prophet that Richard was talking about doing was a P600 with the Gligli update, so not another Prophet-5. He's mentioned a few synths are in the works: Dune 3 (obviously), but then after that, a P600, an Oberheim (want to say OB-X), and maybe a MemoryMoog. The latter needed the MIDI kit installed and some service before they could start but my understanding is that the P600 and Oberheim were both in some stage of development. Richard even posted filter examples of one (I think the P600) somewhere on Gearslutz (maybe the Legend thread). He mentioned that Dune 3 was always meant to be released first, and the P600 or Oberheim would be afterwards with the order depending on whether anything came up in development.

EDIT
Information on the Gligli firmware update for the P600 is here:

http://sfx.gligli.free.fr/zik/p600/Prop ... le_2_0.pdf
Review of New Features
The Prophet 600 Firmware Upgrade hosts the following improvements:
1. Easy-to-install non-destructive firmware drop-in replacement of the new firmware. If
you ever find yourself pining for the old sound of your Prophet 600, you can remove
the Teensy and restore the Z80.
2. Greater resolution of many of the sound parameters with an improved refresh rate
that is making the instrument much more responsive.
3. Faster, smoother amplifier and filter envelope generators supporting four different
modes:
1. Fast Linear.
2. Slow Linear.
3. Fast Exponential.
4. Slow Exponential.
4. A new LFO function generator with a wider range from one cycle every <20 seconds>
to about 60Hz with four new waveforms in addition to the original triangle and square
including sine, random stepped, noise (like on the original Prophet 5, but nonperiodic)
and sawtooth (ramp up).
5. A dedicated vibrato which can be controlled by the modulation wheel, or can start
progressively after a fixed amount of time.
6. Multiple keyboard modes including last/low/high note priority.
7. Unison detune.
8. Mix Overdrive which now allows the output from both oscillators to drive the mix
VCAs A and B harder as well as the Curtis 4 pole filter resulting in new sonic
possibilities.
9. Pitch Wheel interval selection of plus/minus one octave, a whole tone, a minor third
and a fifth.
10. Pitch Wheel reassignment to the VCF and Volume or off.
11. Modulation wheel intensity setting from Maximum to Medium to Minimum.
12. Full Midi In control including:
1. Amp and Filter velocity sensitivity with an external keyboard controller.
2. Continuous Controllers (CC) of all sound parameters.
3. Program change (PC) to choose current preset.
4. Synchronizing the arpeggiator to MIDI clock.
13. A new and improved tuning procedure.
14. Octave, chromatic and free Oscillator course pitch control.
15. Plus/Minus setting for Oscillator Fine Tune and Filter Envelope amount for Poly Mod
and Filter.
16. Assignable, Random And Up/Down Arpeggiator.
17. Debounce feature that prevents unintended retriggering caused by the old keyboard.
18. Organised open source code available on GitHub: https :// github. com / gligli / p 600fw

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm
The Prophet that Richard was talking about doing was a P600 with the Gligli update, so not another Prophet-5. He's mentioned a few synths are in the works: Dune 3 (obviously), but then after that, a P600, an Oberheim (want to say OB-X), and maybe a MemoryMoog. The latter needed the MIDI kit installed and some service before they could start but my understanding is that the P600 and Oberheim were both in some stage of development. Richard even posted filter examples of one (I think the P600) somewhere on Gearslutz (maybe the Legend thread). He mentioned that Dune 3 was always meant to be released first, and the P600 or Oberheim would be afterwards with the order depending on whether anything came up in development.

EDIT
Information on the Gligli firmware update for the P600 is here:

http://sfx.gligli.free.fr/zik/p600/Prop ... le_2_0.pdf
Review of New Features
The Prophet 600 Firmware Upgrade hosts the following improvements:
1. Easy-to-install non-destructive firmware drop-in replacement of the new firmware. If
you ever find yourself pining for the old sound of your Prophet 600, you can remove
the Teensy and restore the Z80.
2. Greater resolution of many of the sound parameters with an improved refresh rate
that is making the instrument much more responsive.
3. Faster, smoother amplifier and filter envelope generators supporting four different
modes:
1. Fast Linear.
2. Slow Linear.
3. Fast Exponential.
4. Slow Exponential.
4. A new LFO function generator with a wider range from one cycle every <20 seconds>
to about 60Hz with four new waveforms in addition to the original triangle and square
including sine, random stepped, noise (like on the original Prophet 5, but nonperiodic)
and sawtooth (ramp up).
5. A dedicated vibrato which can be controlled by the modulation wheel, or can start
progressively after a fixed amount of time.
6. Multiple keyboard modes including last/low/high note priority.
7. Unison detune.
8. Mix Overdrive which now allows the output from both oscillators to drive the mix
VCAs A and B harder as well as the Curtis 4 pole filter resulting in new sonic
possibilities.
9. Pitch Wheel interval selection of plus/minus one octave, a whole tone, a minor third
and a fifth.
10. Pitch Wheel reassignment to the VCF and Volume or off.
11. Modulation wheel intensity setting from Maximum to Medium to Minimum.
12. Full Midi In control including:
1. Amp and Filter velocity sensitivity with an external keyboard controller.
2. Continuous Controllers (CC) of all sound parameters.
3. Program change (PC) to choose current preset.
4. Synchronizing the arpeggiator to MIDI clock.
13. A new and improved tuning procedure.
14. Octave, chromatic and free Oscillator course pitch control.
15. Plus/Minus setting for Oscillator Fine Tune and Filter Envelope amount for Poly Mod
and Filter.
16. Assignable, Random And Up/Down Arpeggiator.
17. Debounce feature that prevents unintended retriggering caused by the old keyboard.
18. Organised open source code available on GitHub: https :// github. com / gligli / p 600fw
Is it this one?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/p600.php

That, plus the mods described in the Gligli documentation.

It was a beautiful instrument, I remember it from the 80's. Back then I had never heard of the Prophet 5. The 600 was the first SCI synth I knew.

Return to “Instruments”