Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Man im loving these U-He effects. The delay is freaking awesome. Great stuff.

Holy F! And in February i get to switch WaveTables between Hive and Graphic VCO.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

I have been really enjoying this reverb on my guitar. I agree there is some dullness in the higher frequencies but it really sounds great dialed in. I was comparing it with my favorite preset in Vahalla Vintage and well...its no longer my favorite preset. As mentioned it will not replace all my reverbs but I think it will get lots of use here. Good job U-he!

tddwlcx9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm I agree there is some dullness in the higher frequencies
We're working on it here :)
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

well,
i just tried koma field kit fx
compared it with TwangStröm: comes very close (if not quite the same)

then i tried the pre-distortion trick mentioned earlier
to make TwSt a little bit brighter and snappier
yes! this works really well

to my surprise actually
EQing was tough and didn't lead to quite the results i had hoped for

i'm pretty happy with waves oneknob driver
in an AUX slot, just a little bit pre-twansgrom and spicy-slpashy soundsheavesn

on koma's fieldkit there is a LP/BP switch
with LP it is also kind of dull and muddy
switching to BP and dialing in the right frquency brings the bright sparkle

imho i think it is rather the 3k-4k range that needs a little boost

so eventually/hopefully the promised BP will do the trick :-)

nobody's in for additional mod-slots?
and a midi-note modulates tensions switch (like in CoCo) ?

A new version is up (Mac and Win) in the first post.

It's a bit late and short notice, but we wanted this in before we send the next newsletter (also because, uhm, there was a bug in the copy protection, so if the previous build melted on you, this one won't :oops: ).

Interesting to see u-he move in on the physical modeling world. I'm wondering if Urs is willing to share a bit their modeling approach.. I wonder if u-he has managed to make finite differences methods computationally feasible. :-)

Can anyone share how this compares to classic algorithmic versions based on physical modeling implemented in faust using delay lines or waveguide approaches? I'm currently stuck on linux :(

great! thanks urs!

> with display of base note

ha! that's a nice one!

checking out the BP...

Hello everyone, I did a quick test, I found a problem with resizing with Sonar... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9Amll ... e=youtu.be

Suono & Computer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 pm Hello everyone, I did a quick test, I found a problem with resizing with Sonar...
Yes, that's a known issue happening in the VST3 version in Sonar.
Just close and reopen the GUI to fix it.
Or use the VST2 version, which works fine.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Ok, thanks

sascha wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm
tddwlcx9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm I agree there is some dullness in the higher frequencies
We're working on it here :)
In this new revision high frequencies are much more prominent now. Maybe almost slightly too much, as in HP mode the high twanging of the springs becomes quite untameable especially with percussive material. This sounds like more than just a sparkle.
Also I do not quite understand how the filter modes blend into one another. How do you get from a LP to a BP and what exactly does the resonance do to the BP?

Hehe, that's funny... We haven't changed a single thing on the reverb tank (yet). If you say 'high frequencies are much more prominent now' something's playing tricks on you, but then it's not us, really. ;)

On the filter modes: they're state-variable filters. Same concept as Oberheim had in their synths, and same concept as the 'Uhbie' filter type in Diva. That filter network does all these types in one go, and you can have different slopes just by tapping the network at different places. In hardware you'd place a pot or several mixing resistors there.
The resonance is always the same (apart from notch where it's inverted), it's just the area around it that changes. Check with an analyzer (Span or the like) and it should become much clearer than words could explain.
Last edited by sascha on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

another way of looking at a band-pass and a notch are "a low pass filter and a high-pass filter overlapping each other in different ways"

even if that's not actually what they are, it helps.

EDIT:
sorry, i forgot to finish my explanation.

so by turning a low-pass filter into a band-pass filter, you're just slowly raising the effect of the high-pass filter (the other half of the band-pass), and then as you go past that towards full high-pass, the effect of the low-pass filter disappear.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sascha wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 pm Hehe, that's funny... We haven't changed a single thing on the reverb tank (yet). If you say 'high frequencies are much more prominent now' something's playing tricks on you, but then it's not us, really. ;)

So I think it's been a placebo effect. :wink:

Return to “u-he”