u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Well, there is certain kind of sounds based on Virus specific implementation of FM, which no soft synth other than Viper can exactly reproduce. Check the presets Nano, Collision, HNO3 and H2SO4 in Viper factory bank 3. Such sounds were very important in psytrance in the 00s. That's what really makes Viper special for me.

If we talk strictly about the features, Viper has cross-osc FM, vowel filter and global unison, which Hive doesnt have. Hive has real wavetables which Viper doesnt have.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

pdxindy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pmHowever, Plugmon is working on a GUI for it. Plugmon GUI's of other u-he synths completely redo/rearrange stuff (smartly so), not just some color changes. Also u-he is working on a new GUI for it as well...
Why oh why did you do this?! Now I need to get those Bazille and Zebra2 skins. :love: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 pm Thanks guys! 5 vs. 1 for Hive? Wasn't expecting that!

But I just tried Dune3 (which I can update to from v2) and my God, it sounds A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!! :o

Tough choice...
Uhe has very strong fanbase at kvr, take this into account.

Dune3 is very good. There are certain important improvements from v2, like the new filters and some other things. If you have v2, i would say upgrading to v3 is your best bet.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 pm5 vs. 1 for Hive? Wasn't expecting that!
It is a thread about Hive... there's an infinitely higher chance that someone who loves Hive reads this than anyone who prefers something else :clown:

recursive one wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pmDune3 is very good. There are certain important improvements from v2, like the new filters and some other things. If you have v2, i would say upgrading to v3 is your best bet.
Indeed, their filters are remarkable - I have Dune2, The Legend and Antidote (RE) and they do sound special: very creamy, warm and thick.
Music tech enthusiast

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 pm5 vs. 1 for Hive? Wasn't expecting that!
It is a thread about Hive... there's an infinitely higher chance that someone who loves Hive reads this than anyone who prefers something else :clown:
And what would YOU recommend, Urs? ;) :D

BTW, on old website there was a page with 3rd party skins & presets, but can't find it now. Is it gone?
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pmHowever, Plugmon is working on a GUI for it. Plugmon GUI's of other u-he synths completely redo/rearrange stuff (smartly so), not just some color changes. Also u-he is working on a new GUI for it as well...
Why oh why did you do this?! Now I need to get those Bazille and Zebra2 skins. :love: :hug:
Plugmon does amazing stuff... completely rearranging the GUI's. Very impressive work!

This update is good and nice. Also thank for making a sale. Just bought it on 119€!

Ranoka wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:04 pm My choice would be Hive!
There's so many reasons to get it, one for me is the new UHM wavetable scripts are an incredibly powerful and unique feature - even if you don't fancy learning how to write them yourself, you can use the ones other people write!
The Uhm scripts are something special! There is an appealing sound quality to them. And yeah, they are really powerful... a skilled person can almost make a little synth right in the script.

I have no intention of ever making scripts. I'm happily making good use of them though. :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 pm The Uhm scripts are something special! There is an appealing sound quality to them. And yeah, they are really powerful... a skilled person can almost make a little synth right in the script.

I have no intention of ever making scripts. I'm happily making good use of them though. :tu:
I had a lot of fun having a go at learning the UHM script when the preview came out. It's actually surprisingly simple/easy to get started using the pdf and looking at the examples and presets. It's quite immediate and you can get a lot of interesting results from experimenting and changing numbers even if you don't completely understand the formulas :D
Having some scripting experience definitely helps get your head around things.

I made a bunch of wavetables but not even any patches or music with them. So many possibilities, and I mostly seem to be drawn to making interesting sounds :hihi:
I mostly took a break from it because I wanted to make some music, so started doing the One Synth Challenge! I think the restrictions and simpler synths are helping me while I learn everything for production, and not just playing with synths :D

Hive is one of my favourite synths, I sort of wish during my GAS phase that I started with it and stuck with it :lol:

Like many here, I also own DUNE 2 and was considering upgrading to DUNE 3, and will absolutely admit it is a great sounding synth. But ultimately, from the time I installed HIVE 1.2, I just can't help sitting here and programming presets in it. The two synths are a world apart in terms of usability and throughout the years I've owned DUNE 2, I've surprisingly never actually used it in a production. I've always gone to Spire, Massive, Sylenth, Zebra, Omnisphere or HIVE first.

HIVE has also got really usable presets for real production work. The DUNE presets are so impressive but often feel more like demos of how the synth can sound layered (due to its 8 layers).

When I did my demo track for HIVE (Sonic Element - Beehive), I actually managed to produce the entire track (excluding the kick drum and a few cymbals) with HIVE alone, including the percussion. Now that it has wavetables, it could easily be used for cinematic music too.

When it all is said and done, this is totally a matter of personal taste though :)

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:43 pmAnd what would YOU recommend, Urs? ;) :D
Let's pretend you didn't already know :clown:

I read all those threads about the other synths and the this vs. that, and my impression is
  • people seem to get all hung up on features.
  • nobody talks about sound quality.
  • people always want more visual feedback, but it's often too much when they get it.
  • a lot of arguments about one-touch-compositions, not much talk about playability and presets one can actually make music with.
  • on a positive note: People respect usability a lot more than appearance these days.
Anyhow. In the beginning of this thread I posted a video. I also posted a wavetable file. This isn't just a feature demo: It also serves as a method and tutorial to determine an objective quality of wavetable scanning. I have not tried this with any of those other synths, so I have no idea what they're like and which options they offer. But it may tell you something about what's important to us, i.e. what angle we pursue in terms of synth design.

(Of course, some synths, e.g. Serum, offer ways to create additonal steps inbetween waveforms - some might even automatically render extra frames into memory - but this isn't what this is about. This is about how synths interpolate waveforms in realtime!)
BTW, on old website there was a page with 3rd party skins & presets, but can't find it now. Is it gone?
We've tried to incorporate it into our new website, but this somehow got stuck. It's still available under https://u-he.com/PatchLib

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:12 amI read all those threads about the other synths and the this vs. that, and my impression is
  • people seem to get all hung up on features.
  • nobody talks about sound quality.
This. i'd be fine with a three knob synth with the engine of Zebra or Serum. Though it's a little funny hearing this from the guy who made Zebra...there is no end to that thing.

voidhead23 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:13 amit's a little funny hearing this from the guy who made Zebra...there is no end to that thing.
Hehehe, I knew someone would say that, but I can easily point out that Zebra is all about economics - even if it may seem different at first glance. In a time when some people added one LFO for each knob and a dozen envelopes for half the amount of audio modules, Zebra offered a large, non-redundant diversity of synthesis techniques with a very limited (and ultimately sufficient) number of envelopes and LFOs, and a UI which made this manageable. The trick was to make the workflow task based. So unlike layer based synths, it has all "layers" or "elements" of a patch in the racks at once, but anything you'd work on (a task) would be visible at the same time, with very few exceptions.

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 am ...but I can easily point out that Zebra is all about economics - even if it may seem different at first glance. In a time when some people added one LFO for each knob and a dozen envelopes for half the amount of audio modules, Zebra offered a large, non-redundant diversity of synthesis techniques with a very limited (and ultimately sufficient) number of envelopes and LFOs, and a UI which made this manageable. The trick was to make the workflow task based. So unlike layer based synths, it has all "layers" or "elements" of a patch in the racks at once, but anything you'd work on (a task) would be visible at the same time, with very few exceptions.
Ah, that's a really good explanation. i'm not a synth guy, and find Zebra extremely easy to work with even considering its depth.

Anyway, this thread is about Hive. Still working my way through the update and evaluating, and haven't been able to test it in a song yet. Hive is still an oddball for me. i rarely start a song with it in mind but constantly reach for it while writing. i think the wavetable addition also fits snugly into Hive's sound and character, instead of changing it radically. Great work.

Return to “Instruments”