Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you please provide some guidance (preferably a couple of screenshots) around custom scales and how to patch it correctly via the graph editor to a VSTi? I'm new to this way of working and thought I'd tackle custom scales first. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure others would benefit from such instructions.

Click on the scale button ( 1)
Create new scale (2)
Give it a name
Insert a data module and type in the string of the scale name "nameofcustomscale" (3)
Inset a midi to scale modulae , plug the data module into the middle inlet (4)
Insert a midi out module , point it to the vst track
Done
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

To begin with, you'll need to import or create some scales using the custom scales panel. Show this by pressing the "Scales" button on the top-right of the main UI:

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.26.55.png

From here, you can import a scale from the built-ins or create a new one. In both cases, you do so by clicking the Add button on the bottom-right of the scales panel and picking either "New" (to create a new custom scale) or "Import ..." (to import an existing one).

If you chose to create a new scale, then the "Scale Editor" window will appear. Here you can name the scale and pick whichever degrees you want in the scale by clicking on the intervals in the piano roll. The tonic or root note cannot be removed from the scale: as far as I know, there are no scales that don't include the tonic note!

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.32.49.png

There are two main ways of using custom scales.

1. With the sequencers:

The built-in sequencers can have a scale and key selected in their properties. Any notes outside the scale will be moved to the nearest note to ensure that they

You can select a scale for a sequencer in the sequencer properties window. Any notes that the sequencer generates will be quantized to the nearest in-scale note. Additionally, enabling "Highlight Scales" will show the scale degrees in the piano roll.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.34.11.png

2. With the modules.

Architect has a number of modules that can operate on custom scales.

- [MIDI force to scale]. Changes any noteon, noteoff, and polypressure MIDI messages to ensure that they are in tune with the specified tonic and scale. The scale and tonic for the scale you want in the properties for this module.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.40.22.png

- [Data force to scale] works in a similar way to [MIDI force to scale], accept that it takes a MIDI note number (in the range 0 - 127) as an input rather than a MIDI stream, and quantizes it to the nearest note MIDI number that remains in scale. In the screenshot below, we are using the C Han-Kumoi scale. No, I've never heard of it either. But in the key of C, 60, 62, 65, 67, 68 are the only notes in the octave above MIDI C, so input numbers will be quantized to these values. As an aside, notice that we can pass an array of numbers to the module, and it will quantize them all. This is handle for generating data to pass to, say, [pack note].

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.42.53.png

- [is in scale] outputs true if the given note number is in-scale, otherwise outputs false. Again, like [data force to scale], it can operate on vectors.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.45.50.png

- [get scale degrees] simply return an array of 12 values, where the element will be `true` if that degree is in-scale, otherwise false. The screen below shows the output of the C Major scale.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.48.17.png

- Finally, [increment in scale] takes MIDI note numbers and outputs the MIDI notes of the give notes shifted by the specified number of degrees.In the shot below, which again uses C Major, we are shifting MIDI note 60 (C) by 0, 2, 4, and 6 degrees, which produces the C-Major notes C, E, G, and A: a major 7th chord.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 14.53.01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

If you'd prefer some example presets showing any or every one of these modes, just let me know. Cheers.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Colin, Back to midi keyboards:
Make a module to enlarge the Kontakt keyboard with key color coding. Enlarge the Kontakt midi keys so they are playable. Stack a few rows of keys on top of each over to total 88. Thereafter transform the piano keyboard into an isomorphic keyboard with the color coding. Perhaps give a choice to the user which keyboard to use.

There no software that does this as far as I know. One must buy a Native Instruments keyboard to accomplish this. I would, except there is no room for a keyboard on my desk. Check out the multicolor light guides https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 9-s61-s88/

I should mention that one would need to have multi-touch monitor to make use of this. Personally if I did not have a multi-touch monitor I would buy one just to be able to have Kontakt key color coding available while playing.

Colin,

Regarding Architect's inbuilt scales and custom scales, thank you for the above instruction with screenshots, very handy indeed. This takes time to produce and I appreciate your guidance here.

Can Architect control tuning?

It would be great to manipulate tuning along with scales, similar to what MTS-ESP SUITE offers

Midiworkshop is a great resource for for custom tuning.

Return to “Loomer”