Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find this interesting and I'd like to try and recreate it on my end. Can you tell me where I find the settings for "free run mode" and "retrigger" mode?

I am trying to come up with a subset of the MIDI devices discussed in this thread - specifically, those that can manipulate incoming chords that I select (whether via keyboard or pre-programmed into the DAW) and generate melody lines from those specific chords. Thus far, I have been able to think of:

Phrasebox
Nora
ChordPotion 2
EZKeys
Cthulu

Are there others that I am forgetting?

bharris22 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:51 pm I am trying to come up with a subset of the MIDI devices discussed in this thread - specifically, those that can manipulate incoming chords that I select (whether via keyboard or pre-programmed into the DAW) and generate melody lines from those specific chords. Thus far, I have been able to think of:

Phrasebox
Nora
ChordPotion 2
EZKeys
Cthulu

EZKeys doesn't generate midi. It will just match the melodies that's in EZKeys to the chord progression. That's why Toontrack sells extra expansions and midi packs.

I'm looking for a tool to analyze midi files of songs and to list the used chords in a quick and convenient way. Suggestions?

Calenberger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 am I'm looking for a tool to analyze midi files of songs and to list the used chords in a quick and convenient way. Suggestions?
Scaler 2

JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am
bharris22 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:51 pm I am trying to come up with a subset of the MIDI devices discussed in this thread - specifically, those that can manipulate incoming chords that I select (whether via keyboard or pre-programmed into the DAW) and generate melody lines from those specific chords. Thus far, I have been able to think of:

Phrasebox
Nora
ChordPotion 2
EZKeys
Cthulu

EZKeys doesn't generate midi. It will just match the melodies that's in EZKeys to the chord progression. That's why Toontrack sells extra expansions and midi packs.
I understand that. But the MIDI notes that it sends out are dependent upon the chords that you input, as opposed to something like Melodya or Riffer, in which you select the key and scale and it generates MIDI from that selection.

bharris22 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:32 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am

Phrasebox
Nora
ChordPotion 2
EZKeys
Cthulu

I understand that. But the MIDI notes that it sends out are dependent upon the chords that you input, as opposed to something like Melodya or Riffer, in which you select the key and scale and it generates MIDI from that selection.
If you aren't limiting this to real time processing then you could also include MIDI Madness 3 - you'd have to drag the chords into a box within the plugin.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am EZKeys doesn't generate midi. It will just match the melodies that's in EZKeys to the chord progression. That's why Toontrack sells extra expansions and midi packs.
Even though its main function is to transform existing MIDI, EZKeys does have a generate-MIDI function; you can have it randomize chords.
And it's not at all dependent on the MIDI it comes with or that Toontrack sells. You can use chords from anywhere AND MIDI files from anywhere.

Phrasebox
Nora
ChordPotion 2
EZKeys
Cthulu

RapidComposer is the Big Daddy for this!
Sundog Studio has some overlap with ChordPotion…
I can't recall LiquidMusic getting a mention here, but it should have, as it does this, too…

The list you've made is mostly about arpeggiators, and any arpeggiator does this; some, like those in your list, are just more powerful and more customizable than others, and available as plugins (which leaves out all the incredible M4L ones, Logic's great one, and all the Reason Players). Of course, there's also a huge boatload of Reaktor MIDI devices, including both many interesting arpeggiators and quite a few unique devices that can also arguably do what you describe…

Other powerful arpeggiator plugins mentioned here include BlueArp and Kameleono…
Seems like I must be forgetting some myself as that's a very short list! Will add if I remember others…:)

Admittedly, EZKeys isn't an arpeggiator, nor are the ones I've added above, nor are these responsive to real-time input, if that's a required feature for your list (I don't recall that ChordPotion is real-time…?). But I think of them as super arps anyway, since they do definitely match your "generate melody lines from" specified chords criteria.

So, Captain Chords belongs here, too, I'd say even though it doesn't reharmonize melodies to exactly fit a given progression (it just tells you how far off any melody note is from the chord or scale, then you can move it if you want). But it does offer a lot of pre-built arp patterns and different ways to add rhythm to specified-chords playback; same idea as ChordPotion, just not as deep or smart.

I guess you're not considering devices that can confine your real-time (or pre-recorded[=MIDI files]) input to match given chords or scales, right? Like MelodicFlow or Chord Prism.

Or devices like Scaler or InstaChord that offer strumming and other playback tweaks for chords they also generate… (Does Obelisk do this?)

Hope all this doesn't just muddy up what you're trying to achieve!
Last edited by David on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTW, does Melodya work with just scales/keys, or can you specify chords for it to use? I thought you could, as it's basically a pared-down subset of RapidComposer features, right?

David wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am EZKeys doesn't generate midi. It will just match the melodies that's in EZKeys to the chord progression. That's why Toontrack sells extra expansions and midi packs.
Even though its main function is to transform existing MIDI, EZKeys does have a generate-MIDI function; you can have it randomize chords.
And it's not at all dependent on the MIDI it comes with or that Toontrack sells. You can use chords from anywhere AND MIDI files from anywhere.
Yeah, I know this. I use other midi in EZKeys all the time. I was just referring to the "generate melody lines" statement and how it differs from something like Phrasebox. It won't randomly generate melodies based on the chords. It needs midi either from Toontrack or other midi files.

David wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:56 pm The list you've made is mostly about arpeggiators, and any arpeggiator does this; some, like those in your list, are just more powerful and more customizable than others, and available as plugins (which leaves out all the incredible M4L ones, Logic's great one, and all the Reason Players). Of course, there's also a huge boatload of Reaktor MIDI devices, including both many interesting arpeggiators and quite a few unique devices that can also arguably do what you describe…
Thanks for your message. I guess I am really talking about arpeggiators. I find that coming up with chord progressions that I like is relatively easy, but extracting interesting melodic lines is not. Thus, in my preferred approach, I would like to feed in existing chords (whether real-time, or pre-programmed) and have the MIDI device spit out a variety of single note lines based on those chords. When I think of arpeggiators, I usually think of simple ones that go up, down, up-down, etc., but I am very interested in the "more powerful and more customizable" ones that you mention. I have both Reaktor and M4L - are there specific ones in those formats which you would recommend?

BTW, does Melodya work with just scales/keys, or can you specify chords for it to use?
Hi David, as far as I know it was only requested. But that was the reason I did not buy it while it was on intro sale and just have not followed devellopment from then on. As soon as this will be added it will be much more interesting for me.

tatanka wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:46 pm
BTW, does Melodya work with just scales/keys, or can you specify chords for it to use?
Hi David, as far as I know it was only requested. But that was the reason I did not buy it while it was on intro sale and just have not followed devellopment from then on. As soon as this will be added it will be much more interesting for me.
It's one of the new features of version 5.

It's one of the new features of version 5.
Your talking about RC I think ? I was just talking about Melodya.

Return to “Effects”