Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor

you get it for 11 days or 14 days free or something, so quickly make a song, use it on all the tracks, sell the song, make at least 29 dollars from it, and then buy the license.

zvenx wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:58 pm lol. I am not sure about that..being wrong is a big part of the learning process I find, and I have learned a lot over the course of life :).

But yes lets see what Ray says :)
rsp
Well, if you are talking about how it responds to the low end compression wise, you can easily dial in the SC high pass to a setting >40Hz in order to better retain it.

Regarding the audio path itself, some of it is lost especially due to the coupling between the input/vari-mu and the output stage, as well as the output transformer...nothing tremendous or in amounts that wouldn't be expected in such a rather primitive tube circuit. The effective cut-off is at roughly 10 Hz so perhaps your ears are indeed "fooled" by the gentle mid-boost around the 3k area.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Ray

Fuse Audio Labs, this thing sounds great

may be an obvious answer to those in the know, not sure? but is there any particular reason why there is no attack function on this beast? I have no idea of the working parts of compressors... it's pretty grippy, but it doesn't seem to act like other comp/lim boxes when their attack is at the minimum value... MU educate me please :)

sqigls wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:56 am may be an obvious answer to those in the know, not sure? but is there any particular reason why there is no attack function on this beast? I have no idea of the working parts of compressors... it's pretty grippy, but it doesn't seem to act like other comp/lim boxes when their attack is at the minimum value... MU educate me please :)
According to the original 1954 manual the attack time is fixed at 0.05s (bottom of page 5) :phones:

i generally need to drive the input hard (maximum) to get the needle moving, even when i drop the threshold to the bottom. but I'm getting the hang of it, and I'm starting to really dig it. Gettin my vintage on :P

the higher the ratio is, the more you have to drive it—i don't know if anyone mentioned that here, yet.

yeah it's an interesting box.

i like plugins with character :)

I have used this quite successfully on a range of different material now and must say that I really like it. It might well be my most favourite vari-mu style compressor at the moment.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

i have used it quite successfully to make an 'old-timey sounding recording'

actually i set up a sort of system with like a big room reverb, and then, like, an old mic impulse response, which goes into an old pre-amp, which goes into a gate, then a compressor, then into an amp, which goes into a bunch of speaker IRs, which goes back into the room and gets fed into the mic impulse response. it was a surprising amount of fun setting it up.

Qué? :shock:

:lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

...........sorry, i didn't mean to copy your "i have used it quite successfully" word for word. hahah, that must've been subconscious. i just wanted to share a weird place it had helped me.

Nonono - I wasn't at all referring to you quoting me like this - that I got.

I was joking about your "I was processing it through the coffee-machine and then applying the IR of a ghost afterwards" I didn't get. Half laughing about you actually doing it, half about me not getting it. It was simply too long of a chain for me. :-o :lol:

Hahah, basically I was just trying to get the feeling of a recorded live TV broadcast from a big room with a PA system in it already. Sound into the microphone, through the chain, out the 'speakers' and reverberating around the room, being picked up by the microphone behind the voice of the person speaking.

In Studio 1 I seem to have lost the option to sidechain routing, the tab was there at first but it seems to have gone, is there a way I'm missing to get it back ?

Return to “Effects”