LAUNCH! VAST Dynamics - Vaporizer2 - Hybrid Wavetable Additive / Subtractive Synthesizer / Sampler / Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Energy The Transformation Vaporizer2

neki wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:39 pm
vastdynamics wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:05 pm @Neki
One more find: I just found out, that the "SSE2 compatibility version" of the VST3 works and is detected without problems:

If you want to use this one then it can be installed with the "SSE2 version option" in the installer;

My suspicion is that Waveform 12 does not support AVX intrinsics in the sandbox!? But I need to confirm that.

Tobias, your're right - VST3 SSE2 compatibility version works OK in Waveform 12, both with sandboxing, and without it.
And there's more, this version can handle my special stress test - changing/playing as many presets as I can in 60 seconds :wink: :tu:
And for the stress test: I just found out that the audio buffer fade-out / fade-in logic when changing presets did not work reliably. So when it sounds crackling noisy when doing the stresstest I will improve that soon.

vastdynamics wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:55 pm Great. And hm, maybe it's time to give up the 10% speed benefit of AVX and use the SSE2 version as standard going forward ...
Last year I wrote some assembly code using AVX instructions, and it wasn't really any benefit. May depend on the CPU used, what kind of code you are writing, etc. In my case, I believe that the overhead was so high that the numerical stuff didn't matter so much.

i have only tested in Bitwig Studio 5.1 (yes the latest, today...), and Reaper 7.06 (also the latest) on windows 10.

all works well it seems, indeed when you load a new preset the sample buffer load (both in Bitwig and Reaper) is very very high, Reaper gives a number that i could on my small screen; 390 ms... behavior i also see sometimes with other plugins, but this high....

but in the end it does not cause problems, perhaps for the other DAWs...

using the AVX version.

i must test it better; sometimes it seems that the sample buffer (and CPU) are very high for something that must be low, and it gets low after a time, or when i release one key, i do stress-test, so many keys or one key.... if you release the one key that hits quite high, and hit the key again, it seems back to normal. and it is not always the case.
something i witnessed in older versions also, it all doable, no crackling or whatsoever, but still.

but that is when i can test it better, and have results to give (will email them, if needed).

(and FR; name and email is visible when you have licensed Vaporizer2, simple FR, can that be hidden? if i want to make OBS recordings, it isn't great that email and/or name is visible....)

and again; great to have Vaporizer2 and you back! thé wavetable synth in my humble opinion. it works so good for my music, and the routing, the routing! (and the sound!)

Oha - another thing I found out. You might know that VST3 changed the structure to bundles (similar to AAX) which means that the .vst3 that the installer installs is actually a folder with the name .vst3 that has subfolder and somewhere a file named .vst3:
Unbenannt.PNG
If you copy that file out, remove the .vst3 folder and place the file in, all Vaporizer2 VST3 versions seem to work fine in Waveform. So it is not a AVX issue!

My new suspicion: Waveform is not yet updated to the new VST3 bundle format?!

In any case. As a quick workaround you might just want to follow that process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WasteLand wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:50 pm i have only tested in Bitwig Studio 5.1 (yes the latest, today...), and Reaper 7.06 (also the latest) on windows 10.

all works well it seems, indeed when you load a new preset the sample buffer load (both in Bitwig and Reaper) is very very high, Reaper gives a number that i could on my small screen; 390 ms... behavior i also see sometimes with other plugins, but this high....

but in the end it does not cause problems, perhaps for the other DAWs...

using the AVX version.

i must test it better; sometimes it seems that the sample buffer (and CPU) are very high for something that must be low, and it gets low after a time, or when i release one key, i do stress-test, so many keys or one key.... if you release the one key that hits quite high, and hit the key again, it seems back to normal. and it is not always the case.
something i witnessed in older versions also, it all doable, no crackling or whatsoever, but still.

but that is when i can test it better, and have results to give (will email them, if needed).

(and FR; name and email is visible when you have licensed Vaporizer2, simple FR, can that be hidden? if i want to make OBS recordings, it isn't great that email and/or name is visible....)

and again; great to have Vaporizer2 and you back! thé wavetable synth in my humble opinion. it works so good for my music, and the routing, the routing! (and the sound!)
Hi ;-) You can simply move the *.actkey file out of the app folder (C:/Program Files/Vaporizer2 or so) ... then it will show "Free version" again ...

vastdynamics wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:03 pm My new suspicion: Waveform is not yet updated to the new VST3 bundle format?!
Hi Tobias,

I just checked quite a number of FX plugins that have the bundled structure, and they all work under Waveform 12.5.11.

Also, Plogue sforzando (instrument), also in a VST3 bundle, seems to work.

Edit (UPDATE): The moduleinfo.json file in Resources in the bundle has:

"Category": "Audio Module Class"

which I changed to

"Category": "Instrument"

and, after deleting the plugin from Waveform Plugin manager and rescanning for VST3 (maybe also exit and restart Waveform?) finally got it working with AVX installation of 3.4.2.

This json file would explain why taking the VST3 file out of the bundle works. My guess is that somewhere in the JUCE or VST3 config files, this "Audio Module Class" needs to be changed.

I also fixed the example Steinberg VST3 synth (noteexpressionsynth) by making the same edits in two places in the relevant json file.

And here's a JUCE thread about the problem:

https://forum.juce.com/t/help-my-vst3-s ... lass/58052

May need to update JUCE if not done recently. But what a pain for such a small problem. Maybe just remember to correct the json file?

DaveClark wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:36 am And here's a JUCE thread about the problem:

https://forum.juce.com/t/help-my-vst3-s ... lass/58052

May need to update JUCE if not done recently. But what a pain for such a small problem. Maybe just remember to correct the json file?
Oh, wow. Thank you so much. This points defintely in the right direction.

But Vaporizer2 is on the latest JUCE level already. What I am now researching is that there are other mentions of similar issues, e.g. here where I understand that Tracktion Attracktive VST3 has the same problem in Tracktion Waveform - what I can confirm:
viewtopic.php?t=600967

I can confirm that changing "Audio Module Class" to "Instrument" in the .json file makes it work in Waveform. But this has the same effect as simply deleteing the whole moduleinfo.json file.

This whole Steinberg VST3 folder bundle thing is not helpful in my eyes. And I am really sorry that this creates issues for you. I don't see why this breaking VST3 format change was required. It makes VST3s unstable since the folder content could be altered by users etc.

From what I am researching "Audio Module Class" is correct as per VST3 specification:
https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_d ... Index.html

And from Steinbergs spec the moduleinfo.json is optional(!!):
https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_d ... -JSON.html

So what I am thinking is that I will build an installer that does not distribute the moduleinfo.json for now and then we hopefully can all get back to making music!

Thank you for your help!

• Removed optional moduleinfo.json from VST3 bundles as it led to issues in Tracktion Waveform, Reason and other DAWs
  • Removed clicks when changing presets while playing (fade-in/out mechanism was broken)
  • Removed sporadical click in filter on first notes after load of preset
https://github.com/VASTDynamics/Vaporiz ... _3.4.2.zip

I hope this fixes it. It does here on my systems ...

the latest version for Mac is working now, no problems with adding the VST3, VST and the AU Version in my different daws (Ableton, cubase, Bitwig, logic and FL Studio and Reason 12 under macOS Sonoma 14.1.2)

i've tested only if I can load the instrument or not.. and it works :-)

vastdynamics wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 am 3.4.2
  • Removed optional moduleinfo.json from VST3 bundles as it led to issues in Tracktion Waveform, Reason and other DAWs
  • Removed clicks when changing presets while playing (fade-in/out mechanism was broken)

VST3 version is recognized and loads properly in Cubase 12, Waveform 12, Reason 12 and Cakewalk in Windows 10.
However, I managed to crash all of them while auditing legacy Che presets:
Reason 12 err.JPG
So, quick fix is - don't use those legacy presets on Windows :wink:
Well, no biggie, you can always make your own...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neki wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:59 pm
vastdynamics wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 am 3.4.2

VST3 version is recognized and loads properly in Cubase 12, Waveform 12, Reason 12 and Cakewalk in Windows 10.
However, I managed to crash all of them while auditing legacy Che presets:

Reason 12 err.JPG

So, quick fix is - don't use those legacy presets on Windows :wink:
Well, no biggie, you can always make your own...
Ah thank you. The error message on top of the preset text box gives me a valuable hint what happened.

vastdynamics wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:49 pm
Ah thank you. The error message on top of the preset text box gives me a valuable hint what happened.
Aaah, I didn't see that Error text at first - apparently Reason have some form of inbuilt VST sandboxing. Others hosts just crashed down.
That's good :tu:

https://github.com/VASTDynamics/Vaporizer2/releases
  • Preset XML files are loaded asynchronously to decrease start up time of plugin
  • Fixed a bug with parameter changes done by hosts on the audio channel leading to hangs and crashes
  • Added mono bus layout as this seems to be required in several hosts for VST3
  • Smoothing of midi pitchbend and modwheel messages fixed
  • MPE bend range fixed (96 semitones had to be set to get 48)
  • Fixed unintentional mono processing in Comb filter FX
  • Added a configuration setting for keyboard keys to plugin midi keyboard mapping plus base octave
  • Tryed to fix a sporadic crash of VST3 in certain hosts on quick program change while playing (e.g. in Cakewalk, unconfirmed yet that it is fixed)
  • Windows installer did not correctly install _SSE2* names when that was selected
  • CLAP build in CMake (still experimental)
Hope this is a good one :party:

vastdynamics wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:12 pm https://github.com/VASTDynamics/Vaporizer2/releases
  • Preset XML files are loaded asynchronously to decrease start up time of plugin
  • Fixed a bug with parameter changes done by hosts on the audio channel leading to hangs and crashes
  • Added mono bus layout as this seems to be required in several hosts for VST3
  • Smoothing of midi pitchbend and modwheel messages fixed
  • MPE bend range fixed (96 semitones had to be set to get 48)
  • Fixed unintentional mono processing in Comb filter FX
  • Added a configuration setting for keyboard keys to plugin midi keyboard mapping plus base octave
  • Tryed to fix a sporadic crash of VST3 in certain hosts on quick program change while playing (e.g. in Cakewalk, unconfirmed yet that it is fixed)
  • Windows installer did not correctly install _SSE2* names when that was selected
  • CLAP build in CMake (still experimental)
Hope this is a good one :party:
Could you please post the Linux release as well? We Linux users are a growing community and love Vaporizer2!! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Instruments”