Nuendo Spring Sale

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steinberg has a great spring sale going on right now and I was wondering if this might not be the best time for me to crossgrade my Cubase 10 to Nuendo (with v10 looming around the corner).

I have done work for video in the past but have never run into situations that would demand that I have Nuendo. However, as I keep getting work, that could change on a moments's notice.

The question I have: will I miss anything from Cubase 10 (you have to surrender your license for the crossgrade) in Nuendo 8 (current version till 10 drops)? If you have made the switch or use Nuendo I would love to hear from you!

You'll miss some of the GUI changes. I prefer Nuendo; I did the 30-day trial for C10. I liked it fine but I prefer the older GUI for the most part. You'll miss having the number of markers up in the toolbar reduced from 10 to 8.

A lot of what came into Cubase 10 was already in Nuendo. Look at the new features, I am probably missing at least one thing which may be important.

Yeah, the revised channel strip (or the snapshots feature) isn't in Nuendo 8 at this time.

The MPE controller being automatically set up is Cubase 10 only.
It doesn't mean anything to me as I know how to set it up, it isn't that complicated.

Probably content differences.

As it was posted in the Steinberg forums: If you buy the crossgrade now you are eligible for a free upgrade to Nuendo 10 which will be released in Q2/2019 according to Steinberg.

Eventually, you won't have to miss anything: Buy the crossgrade during the Spring sale, but do not activate the license. As soon as Nuendo 10 is released, activate the crossgrade to shift your Cubase 10 license to Nuendo 8, and then perform the free upgrade to Nuendo 10. Nuendo 10 will have all the new features of Cubase 10 included.

Regards,
Stephan

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. Sounds like a great idea!

Not entirely clear what the differences are...anyone got extensive experience of both?

I have. Well, 30 days of Cubase 10 but I worked with it every day for hours. Cubase since SX1. Nuendo since 8.0.

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/new-in-10/

Ultimately the significant difference is Nuendo will have things for music-to-picture which they won't put in Cubase. Nuendo costs more accordingly.
At this juncture there are features which appear in Nuendo first and travel to Cubase, and features which are appearing in Cubase first. I think the Channel Strip GUI is nifty, but I don't really work with its mixer extensively, as a VE Pro user.

I like that they make MPE connection a snap (this will appear in the next number of Nuendo, assuredly) but it's pretty basic in the Inspector part of Key Editor to begin with. For me, the features being ahead a version aren't enough to justify cost of C10 upgrade just because I'm in a hurry to have. There are some new plugins for C10, Distroyer for instance.

Except for the GUI changes in C10 (one of which is needed IME), the look is exactly the same. Cubase projects work in Nuendo and vice versa. The Preferences are very nearly identical, ie, your saved preferences can be copied over to the other. Pretty much the same experience short of a few things which don't apply except to music for picture (there is a very advanced feature set if you do a lot of game work). If you don't have to have these certain things you don't need Nuendo.

Most of that I would never need.

Still amazed that 'apply standard fades' hasn't been ported to Cubase though.

Probably not worth 300 euros :cry: .

If you need Nuendo, you will generally know it. Usually this relates to surround/vr or game audio work. There are certain things regular DAWs just don‘t do.

Steinberg also confirmed on their user forum that this sale will last until the release of Nuendo 10 in Q2. This gives everybody contemplating that purchase enough time to do the due dilligence. Nuendo has a very generous trial period. I would advise to take advantage of that.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Do you know if Nuendo gets yearly .5 updates like Cubase and how much upgrades cost?
I'm used to Cubase upgrades being .5 around 60 ish and full numbers 99.

bundoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 pm Do you know if Nuendo gets yearly .5 updates like Cubase and how much upgrades cost?
In the past, Nuendo updates have been much less frequent and much more expensive. When you switch to Nuendo you need to be aware that an update can cost you as much as or even more than the full version of a regular DAW. This is one of the reasons some people (including me) are not particularly happy that we lose the Cubase license when we cross grade. With the loss of the Cubase license we also lose the significantly cheaper upgrade path.

But it seems that Steinberg is syncing up their product lines by giving them the same version numbers. It could be that also effects the upgrade cycle/upgrade pricing strategy for Nuendo.

mgw38 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm
bundoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 pm Do you know if Nuendo gets yearly .5 updates like Cubase and how much upgrades cost?
In the past, Nuendo updates have been much less frequent and much more expensive. When you switch to Nuendo you need to be aware that an update can cost you as much as or even more than the full version of a regular DAW. This is one of the reasons some people (including me) are not particularly happy that we lose the Cubase license when we cross grade. With the loss of the Cubase license we also lose the significantly cheaper upgrade path.

But it seems that Steinberg is syncing up their product lines by giving them the same version numbers. It could be that also effects the upgrade cycle/upgrade pricing strategy for Nuendo.
That's what I'm afraid of. Probably not worth it for amateurs.

bundoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm That's what I'm afraid of. Probably not worth it for amateurs.
I would not put it as an amateur vs pro thing. But if you don't know what Wwise is or never found yourself in s situation where you wanted to do something with the overhead speakers in a Dolby Atmos setup, Nuendo is most likely overkill.

Ok I am playing around with Nuendo 8 in trial mode. Obviously having done Cubase for the last 20 years and having worked with Nuendo before, it is very familiar and acts as expected. The one thing I discovered is that it hates my Scarlett 6i6 drivers worse than Cubase hates them.

For a few years I have pushed the issue with my Cubase and tweaked things till it ran smoothly. But on Nuendo, using the exact same settings, I get nothing but crackling. I loaded a Cubase project that sounds fine in Cubase...nothing but static in Nuendo. Raising my latency into the 1000's didn't even change the first crackle.

That said, ASIO4ALL drivers seem to work flawlessly (which I hate not using native drivers, but if it works, it works)...and there is even some improvement in my latency (I can go lower with ASIO4ALL without crackles even in Cubase).

So while I would not say it was 100% painless, it is looking more like the future for me. I am open to any suggestions of trying different things too.

Edit: turning on Steinberg Power Scheme fixed the issue with my drivers (I really thought I had it checked).

Just making it official that I cross-graded. Nuendo is solid, and I have everything working proper on my system. I could not ask for more...looking for the Nuendo 10 update soon!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”