MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 am

This new tool allows to create Bitwig multisamples from folders containing WAV files.
Get it from: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitw ... rator.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxaA97uadIA

User avatar
irtimid
KVRist
173 posts since 16 Sep, 2005

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks alot!

I have an issue though. I'm always getting this error:
Could not create multisample: Found duplicate SMPL midi note

Any ideas?

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:48 am

irtimid wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:24 am
Thanks alot!

I have an issue though. I'm always getting this error:
Could not create multisample: Found duplicate SMPL midi note

Any ideas?
If your WAV file contains a SMPL chunk with a MIDI note > 0 that one is taken, instead of trying to parse it from the file name. So, that error means that you have multiple files, which have the same MIDI note stored and therefore it cannot be mapped.

User avatar
ere2learn
KVRAF
1666 posts since 3 May, 2014

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Wow,worked here like a treat.Moss you're a legend

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Sun May 05, 2019 9:05 am

Version 2.0 is online!
  • New: Added option to only anlyse the samples and not write multisample files
  • New: Added the option to detect velocity layers and write them
  • New: Support to use stereo files which are split into 2 mono files
  • New: Added option to prefer the folder name as the multisample name
Enjoy!

dgmulf
KVRist
37 posts since 13 Aug, 2016

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 pm

I never would have guessed that the .multisample format was a simple ZIP file! How did you discover that? Great tip. I was able to write a fairly simple bash script to convert SFZ format to Bitwig multisamples, which is handy because the Bitwig built-in conversion is a bit buggy at the moment.

carlca
KVRist
213 posts since 17 Jan, 2005 from London

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi, I'd like to report a slight problem but ultimately a great success! I had a collection of tuned samples called Cluster Sounds which consisted of about 120 sub-folders, each with 50 WAV files. My first attempt was to try to convert the whole lot in one go. Unfortunately, despite having 32GB of RAM onboard, the operation crashed about 2/3 of the way through with a heap related memory error from Bitwig's Java run-time, and before it had had time to write the `.multisample` files.

So, I used a divide and conquer approach. I split the sample pack roughly in half and was able to run the MultisampleGenerator in two batches, and after merging the two separate output folders, I ended up with a MultiSample folder containing 120 perfectly formed `.multisample' files which the Bitwig Sampler seems quite happy with.

So, ultimately a happy ending. Jürgen, you might want to think about using a software equivalent of what I did, ie. processing the input wave files in batches and then writing the `.multisample' file after each batch, but I'm sure that you know much more about what's involved with this than I do.

Anyhow, thanks very much for this tool! Despite my slight hiccup, which was caused by me being over-ambitious, the tool did what it was meant to, and I am very happy with the results.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:19 am

carlca wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:22 pm
Hi, I'd like to report a slight problem but ultimately a great success! I had a collection of tuned samples called Cluster Sounds which consisted of about 120 sub-folders, each with 50 WAV files. My first attempt was to try to convert the whole lot in one go. Unfortunately, despite having 32GB of RAM onboard, the operation crashed about 2/3 of the way through with a heap related memory error from Bitwig's Java run-time, and before it had had time to write the `.multisample` files.

So, I used a divide and conquer approach. I split the sample pack roughly in half and was able to run the MultisampleGenerator in two batches, and after merging the two separate output folders, I ended up with a MultiSample folder containing 120 perfectly formed `.multisample' files which the Bitwig Sampler seems quite happy with.

So, ultimately a happy ending. Jürgen, you might want to think about using a software equivalent of what I did, ie. processing the input wave files in batches and then writing the `.multisample' file after each batch, but I'm sure that you know much more about what's involved with this than I do.

Anyhow, thanks very much for this tool! Despite my slight hiccup, which was caused by me being over-ambitious, the tool did what it was meant to, and I am very happy with the results.
Yes, I am aware of that problem but was too lazy to work around that since you basically only do that once. ;-)

carlca
KVRist
213 posts since 17 Jan, 2005 from London

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 am

That's a very reasonable reply! I never again want to feel the way I felt when I received that error message... Small batches all the way, from now on 😉

Scriptease
KVRer
1 posts since 29 Nov, 2018

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:23 am

This Tool simply does nothing here (Bitwig 3.0.3)

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 am

Scriptease wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:23 am
This Tool simply does nothing here (Bitwig 3.0.3)
Would you mind to give some additional info? What are you doing? What is not working? What is your OS?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8112 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 am

Hi Moss, this tool looks great and is exactly what I'm needing at the moment. Unfortunately I am having an issue though, it is not doing anything and the consol is showing this error:
"Could not create multisample: Attempt to combine Mono splits into Stereo files but there are more than two files per note."

The format is pretty straight forward. It has the midi note, followed by underscore and the then velocity value.
E.g. 32G#_95.wav

So the first number is the note number (it doesn't need the letter) and velocity at end.

I tried some different input masks in the settings for velocity but nothing worked. I'm guessing it isn't able to read the note format being simply the midi note number and probably see multiple note letters and thinks they are duplicates or something.

Is there a way for this to work? I can't change the format as it is what NewSonicArts spits out for their freeze instrument function, which multisamples a VST. Any way to work with a midi note number instead of note letter?

Thanks for your help!
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 am
The format is pretty straight forward. It has the midi note, followed by underscore and the then velocity value.
E.g. 32G#_95.wav
I saw (and supported) many combinations but all of them contained either the note as a 3 digit number or as a text with octave. Your example sadly does not match any of that. I guess Bitwig Sampler has the same problem.

Maybe you could ask the devs if they simply forgot to add the octave after the note? Furthermore, from this format no name can be extracted.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8112 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:50 pm

moss wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 am
The format is pretty straight forward. It has the midi note, followed by underscore and the then velocity value.
E.g. 32G#_95.wav
I saw (and supported) many combinations but all of them contained either the note as a 3 digit number or as a text with octave. Your example sadly does not match any of that. I guess Bitwig Sampler has the same problem.

Maybe you could ask the devs if they simply forgot to add the octave after the note? Furthermore, from this format no name can be extracted.
Octave is not needed when you have the note number, which is the number before the letter. The letter is just there for easy readability. The note number is three digits when it is note 100 or above, but only 1 or 2 before that, as needed. For example "108C_127.wav". The C is not needed there because the note is 108. "0C_127.wav" is note 0, which is note C-2.

Any chance your script could handle this?
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
2057 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: MultisampleGenerator - Convert WAV files into Bitwig multisamples

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:50 pm
Octave is not needed when you have the note number, which is the number before the letter. The letter is just there for easy readability. The note number is three digits when it is note 100 or above, but only 1 or 2 before that, as needed. For example "108C_127.wav". The C is not needed there because the note is 108. "0C_127.wav" is note 0, which is note C-2.
Any chance your script could handle this?
I wrote the detection with the idea that you do not have to configure anything. If I would support that it would mean that the user would need to create regex expressions or at least you would need to choose from a list, which I found too complex for the laymen users.

Return to “Controller Scripting”