noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:33 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 am
noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 am
noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:36 am
Likely XO isn't for you.
Why?!!
Er, the rest of the post you snipped?
Er, the rest of your post doesn't make any sense! You are using XO in that way, so what?! You want all others to do the same?! I don't understand your logic! (if there is any!).
Let me spell it out - you don't like working with randomisation. Embracing that is what makes XO work.

And that's enough of that. Thanks.
So, I can't use XO without randomisation :nutter: Who are you to decide?! Are you drunk or just lost it?!

I absolutely skip the randomisation. I like to load what I want from kits and do my sequences and XO is more than enough for me this way. What's wrong with that? I left Bitwig because it concentrates on "this" randomization and Probability mania.

I leave the randomisation and Probability Theory for the geeks like you!
I think that while there's nothing wrong with using it this way if you like the plugin, avoiding the randomization is missing it's main selling point, the unique aspect of the plugin.

It's a bit like using Omnisphere but saying you won't use any sampled waveforms or libraries, only the pure synth oscillators. Sure, you can use it this way, but it's completely missing the point of what Omnisphere is fundamentally, and is a bit silly when theres so many other soft synths that also do what Omnisphere does when only using the synthesis oscillators.

Or if you like a more dramatic example, it's a bit like buying a Ferrari because you like to use it's cupholders :hihi:

Anyways, no judgement on you if you don't like randomization. I think those of us that use it in XO are just amazed because it's just a satisfying part of what this software does. I don't use it much in other plugs, but it's so well done and so useful in XO in terms of helping me build kits I wouldn't have thought to create but sound great. But do you, it's all good :)

JiggSaw wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm I've been an XO user from the beginning and I'm absolutely picking up Atlas 2. The fact that we've been basically begging XLN for meaningful features/updates this long has left a bad taste in my mouth. And if you bring it up on their socials, they basically brush you off.
Yeah Atlas looks pretty good...i mean yeah...nice :tu:

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:13 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:11 am I must say that this has been an interesting discussion the past few pages. Very informative for people looking to buy XO or Atlas 2 (or both!) right now.

Still on the fence for Atlas 2. XO has that special sauce for me.
Don't be, they are both great. Get both! :)
I just found 50 Bucks in the Couch an call me crazy i giv Atlas a chance...yeah i giv fukn pressure on XO but they need it...its a hard world outside, yo :hihi:

burkek wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:16 pm Atlas doesn't seem stable. Just muted a few tracks in one of their presets, changed out some drum sounds, saved as a full loop. Success. Muted the kick. Saved as a new 'no kick' loop. Crash. Macbook Pro (2017). Monterey.
I use Atlas 2 all the time and never had a problem. Windows 10

Is there a way to correct a sample category?

In regard to XO vs Atlas 2 I just thought to leave my verdict: After playing with Atlas 2 demo for the second time, while it looks much better than before, XO is simply better for me. The workflow is absolutely amazing. And I do not need a similar plugin of this type only to end up in choice paralysis. It's very difficult to use two plugins of this type unless you are just using for fun. As others have mentioned, the main purpose of this type of plugin is to help you browser your huge catalog of samples easily, which XO does best IMO. The search function is a significant feature which easily helps you to narrow down the Space to limited samples with which you can create new kits easily.

Even though I wish it added some missing things the feature set of XO is pretty satisfactory. It is amazing as it is, so I can (now) be patient w.r.t any updates, which will only be an icing on the cake. I will continue to use it as my only plugin of this type.

Lucastyle wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:22 pm Is there a way to correct a sample category?
Yes, select a sample in the main window or pad, then click the little wrench icon in the sample panel (upper LH corner).

edit: actually, that's for Atlas 2. I'm not sure if you're asking about that or XO. I don't know if XO lets you reassign categories.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

The only thing I feel missing in XO is the ability to make more patterns than two : )
However. the more I use it the more it leaves Atlas in the dust. As someone mentioned, " Choice paralysis'... Something I have too often and need to use that time to actually make some music : )

Indeed.

Yes, I wish it was this easy to get over all other plugins (synths and effects). Would have made life so much easier. :)

inkwarp wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 am The only thing I feel missing in XO is the ability to make more patterns than two : )
However. the more I use it the more it leaves Atlas in the dust. As someone mentioned, " Choice paralysis'... Something I have too often and need to use that time to actually make some music : )

I'm to this day shocked by this, I shouldn't be. XO can't do any other time signature besides 4/4 in it's sequencer. This is the biggest oversight, and really the only reason I'm probably getting Atlas, which can do pretty much any time signature.

It's a devolution of music that no one even registers this when discussing these two drum/percussion plug ins.

All fair points - I too don't want "another" XO type product, but limiting to 4/4 is really odd.

It raises the bigger question as to why development on XO appears to have stalled. It's so wildly popular, I find it difficult to imagine why they haven't gone for low hanging fruit at least - increase the number of patterns, a simple pattern / kit break option, midi import of grooves, then to enhance that sequencer more and maybe add a few more editing features like pitch envelopes. It can't be hard to do the first couple of options. What's stopping them?

Atlas is likely really eating to their market share now. I find it inexplicable that they've let development stall.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 am All fair points - I too don't want "another" XO type product, but limiting to 4/4 is really odd.

It raises the bigger question as to why development on XO appears to have stalled. It's so wildly popular, I find it difficult to imagine why they haven't gone for low hanging fruit at least - increase the number of patterns, a simple pattern / kit break option, midi import of grooves, then to enhance that sequencer more and maybe add a few more editing features like pitch envelopes. It can't be hard to do the first couple of options. What's stopping them?

Atlas is likely really eating to their market share now. I find it inexplicable that they've let development stall.
To their credit they knocked out the M1 native version already. Atlas is supposed to be soon, but it's still Rosetta etc.

To me it's beyond stupid that Maschine and XO have this flaw in the system. I'm also not a fan of the 8 slots, it's just silly when most of us are used to 16 pads.

XO is solid otherwise IMO, it just needs adjustable beat length and 16 slots, then I wouldn't be eyeballing Atlas.

could you use Atlas to drive XO ? best of both worlds then ?

Buckster wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:20 am could you use Atlas to drive XO ? best of both worlds then ?
While that could be done, I don't think it would be a good overflow. For a plugin of this type, IMO, you are best with just one. So, you will always have to live with some missing features if you want to keep things simple. I took all these things into consideration and while I could spend another $50 on Atlas 2, I decided to stick to XO and saved $50 for something else. XO does 90% of the things I am looking for. For the rest I will just wait in hope that it will get a significant feature update at some point, which should ne next year if at all.

I am also disappointed with the way XO development stalled, think it was after version 1.2 in June 2020. Apparently, XLN Audio has become like Soundtoys now.

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 am Atlas is likely really eating to their market share now. I find it inexplicable that they've let development stall.
Absolutely. I wonder if they even care about this.

Return to “Instruments”