UDO Super 6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's just insane, the longer I spend with it (over three months now), the more I love it. Best synth I have ever owned.

I have this insane mashup of the Vox Humana with a 70s string synth and a Hoover rave sound going right now (sequencer can do chord memory), all warm and saturated and panning all over the room. :)

New firmware dropping very soon, have been beta testing, now has lots of improvements, bug fixes, extra features, USB MIDI etc etc. It's really shaping up!

I've read that in the non-binaural mode the voices get panned randomly, which seems stupid as hell and can't be turned off. Is that still the case with the new update? I'm looking for a polysynth and the UDO seems very appealing, but this panning thing bothers me (so did the lack of midi usb, but that's getting fixed, supposedly).

No, it's fixed in the update, when in 12 voice mode, the LR Phase slider adjusts Pan Spread. USB MIDI also working. :) Hopefully public firmware will drop very soon. You can sign up to beta test it on the UDO forum.

https://forum.udo-audio.com/
Azbest wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:33 pm I've read that in the non-binaural mode the voices get panned randomly, which seems stupid as hell and can't be turned off. Is that still the case with the new update? I'm looking for a polysynth and the UDO seems very appealing, but this panning thing bothers me (so did the lack of midi usb, but that's getting fixed, supposedly).

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:32 pm No, it's fixed in the update, when in 12 voice mode, the LR Phase slider adjusts Pan Spread.
Nice!

Does MPE work in the new firmware?

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:48 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:32 pm No, it's fixed in the update, when in 12 voice mode, the LR Phase slider adjusts Pan Spread.
Nice!

Does MPE work in the new firmware?
Nope, that's proposed for the next big update in future. I think once it has all listed features, such as MPE, it will go to firmware 1.0. This current one is the biggest so far, loads of bug fixes, user enhancements and extra goodies.

I keep thinking this will be my next keyboard. Looks like it could be a decent MIDI controller, while also being a kick ass synth in its own right. I recently picked up a Prophet Rev 4, but my desire for this still remains pretty strong.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:02 pm I keep thinking this will be my next keyboard. Looks like it could be a decent MIDI controller, while also being a kick ass synth in its own right. I recently picked up a Prophet Rev 4, but my desire for this still remains pretty strong.
Definitely try one if you can. I spent years looking for "the one poly synth", ended up with this, and haven't regretted it at all. Sound quality, build quality, and user interface are all off the charts.

Now USB MIDI is working in the latest beta firmware (as well as Send and Receive of nearly all the controllers via CC and NRPN) I've been having lots of fun using it as a controller in REAPER and Live for Diva, and sequencing it from Ableton etc. It wasn't really a great controller before that, but now it's fantastic.

I need to map the controls to Diva, and am looking forward to grabbing Pianoteq soon...

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:27 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:02 pm I keep thinking this will be my next keyboard. Looks like it could be a decent MIDI controller, while also being a kick ass synth in its own right. I recently picked up a Prophet Rev 4, but my desire for this still remains pretty strong.
Definitely try one if you can. I spent years looking for "the one poly synth", ended up with this, and haven't regretted it at all. Sound quality, build quality, and user interface are all off the charts.

Now USB MIDI is working in the latest beta firmware (as well as Send and Receive of nearly all the controllers via CC and NRPN) I've been having lots of fun using it as a controller in REAPER and Live for Diva, and sequencing it from Ableton etc. It wasn't really a great controller before that, but now it's fantastic.

I need to map the controls to Diva, and am looking forward to grabbing Pianoteq soon...
Good to know it's improved there! I've been using a Roland System-8 and while I love how knobby it is, I hate:

1. Velocity response on black keys is awful
2. No aftertouch of any kind (mono or poly)
3. 4 octaves (same on Super 6)
4. Roland-style pitch/mw trigger (same on Super 6)

I'm sure I'd also much more appreciate the raw sound quality of the Super 6. I mostly use the System-8 as a controller and hardly ever for the sound engines as I just think Roland's ACB modeling isn't all that hot compared to good VSTi's. Whereas the Super 6 actually sounds great.

Yeah it sounds incredible, all analogue audio signal path except for the oscillators, which still sound amazing due to FPGA tech/crazy high sample rates. Latest beta has increased sample rates another 4x for better sounding audio rate modulation, less aliasing etc. The more you use it the more you realise how clever the UI design is, there is so much "extra" stuff that each section can do, but it's mostly all right there in front of you. There are a few Shift controls, they added a "slop" parameter in the last big update. Lots of unique features. It really is like someone designed a hands on 80s analogue synth for the now. It sometimes feels and sounds like it's alive. :)

Heads up: New firmware 0.27 dropping today according to George on the forum:

"We are about to release 0,27 tomorrow (Monday). Support will be on hand with any issues after it goes up but the update is fairly easy to carry out and you should be fine.

Lots of new features and fixes and an improved core sound to look forward to. Please follow the update instructions as closely as you can, read the release notes that come with it and the new manual is already online (V3,0). Happy days! George"

I was beta testing it last week and it's great.

This thing is very tempting damnit.

I made a cheat sheet for all the SHIFT functions etc. and posted it on the UDO forum, feel free to add anything I have missed and I'll update it.

https://forum.udo-audio.com/t/super-6-cheat-sheet/814/6

Currently the only synth that interests me .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”