TDR Limiter 6 GE on Sale at PB

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Burillo wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:04 pm i hope it's not a sign of them not doing very well financially
I don't think so! Andreas Balaskas, who is a renown Berlin-based mastering engineer, has a channel on Youtube where he invites guests to talk about music production related issues. Fabien Schivre of TDR was featured in two episodes recently.

He didn't look like he went bankrupt, quite the opposite: totally relaxed, very knowledgeable and sociable dude who has his own ideas about audio plugins. In the first episode they were discussing hardware emulations, specifically the Vertigo compressor. Very interesting, especially since one of the other guests made a blind test between the hardware Vertigo and the two digital emulations (the older one by Plugin Alliance and the more recent one directly by Vertigosound).

They came to the conclusion that the recent emulation manages to capture main aspects of the sound, but not the entire compression behavior, while the older emulation sounds rather inaccurate. Specifically gain-staging still seems to be an issue.

Then Fabien essentially argued that he himself does not aim to emulate existing hardware gear, but rather use the advantages of the digital domain to the full extent and therefore he does not have the problem of trying to model the exact, gain staging dependent behavior of a specific hardware piece. He brought up very valuable points without being disrespectful to those who favor the emulation approach.

In the following episode they invited Andreas Eschenwecker of Vertigo Sound to participate in the discussion and while Andreas explained the process behind building hardware gear and emulating the same gear, Fabien expanded his argument about the advantages of a digital-first approach.

Very interesting stuff, unfortunately the talks are held in German. My personal guess is that TDR are already brewing new stuff and they have already built quite a significant user base.

First episode with TDR Fabien:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvBkII1jDY&t=1361s

Second episode with TDR Fabien:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IQOZr23XQ

I heard Fabien saying that the TDR team is developing a new SlickEQ version for this year or the next one.

Interesting, thanks Izak Synthiemental

You are welcome!

Does anyone know if the license is handled by TDR or PB?

You get a code from PB and then you download it with that from TDR where you should make an account.

Funnily enough, the PB code you get is listed as an AudioDeluxe code on the "Transactions" tab :)

ReverendLove wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm You get a code from PB and then you download it with that from TDR where you should make an account.
Thanks! Just to confirm: They give you a code (serial no?), and from there everything is dealt with via TDR?

The update for SlickEQ is interesting news.
I dont think it will be addressed, but I always wished it had 4 bands :party:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm
ReverendLove wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm You get a code from PB and then you download it with that from TDR where you should make an account.
Thanks! Just to confirm: They give you a code (serial no?), and from there everything is dealt with via TDR?
That's correct :)

Digivolt wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:30 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm
That's correct :)
Ok! Cheers, guys! :tu:

Niowiad wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 pm The update for SlickEQ is interesting news.
I dont think it will be addressed, but I always wished it had 4 bands :party:
Adjustable GUI size would be a nice addition for SlickEQ GE, like Nova's recent update.
Also, maybe an upcoming sale.
Uncle E wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:34 pm We will be putting a TDR product on sale for our 21st Anniversary Sale next week. Which TDR would you like us to do?
Nova GE, here.

Thanks all for recommendations.

RE: discount
The vast majority of people buying plugins are not professionals. Tons of primarily hobbyists that don't really make money with this craft and need to be selective with purchases, so discounts are good incentive to pull the trigger.

However, I agree that we have built an ugly culture of sales all the time. I think most plugin makers need to be savvy to the times, and start doing occasional sales to attract the hobbyists that expect discounts. And don't blame the audience, blame the companies that insist on a race to the bottom with prices and sales.

I wish we'd settle on something more reasonable. Because 60-80% discount sends a signal not to pay full price or even 20% discount when a large discount is around the corner at some point. Like with Waves, anybody paying the $200 sticker price on their new plugins is just being a fool, I don't care how much you can afford it, it's the principle of it since Waves is basically on perma-discounts on multiple outlets. (Not trying to turn this into a Waves hate thread, just pointing out as an example one of the bigger publishers creating this situation).

And what does that do to developers like ToneBoosters, TDR, Klanghelm that offer fair pricing year-round but usually no discounts? If one of those plugins is $30 then under the culture of mega discounts people are going to want them for $10, when many of those plugins are of much higher value than the stuff some companies put out "on sale" at $29. So now those smaller developers have to find a way to provide some sort of discount to attract the audience that has been trained to expect a discount by further discounting something that was already priced fairly to start.

I personally waited way too long to purchase my ToneBooster plugins because I was busy tracking sales at the plugin outlets and TB was never there. And I'm for sure buying Kotelnikov GE if it shows up at PB soon.

Sadly, I bet you if MJUC changes to $89 price, then goes on sale 3 times per year to $29, Klanghelm would sell twice as many units this year.

jochicago wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:12 pm ...

Sadly, I bet you if MJUC changes to $89 price, then goes on sale 3 times per year to $29, Klanghelm would sell twice as many units this year.
I'm not sure this is true. Sonimus raised their price level for newly released products over the years compared to their earlier products. They have a very similar product portfolio and company profile to Klanghelm.

Full price for the earlier commercial Sonimus plugins is in the $ 30 - 40 range, but later products changed to $ 59 full price, $ 74 for TuCo compressor and $149 for the new full Satson Channelstrip (even though earlier customers of their product range can claim a discount if I'm not mistaken).

Even though Sonimus has Sales from time to time (currently TuCo compressor and Burnley 73 eq cost only $28 each), my guess is that regarding the regular price Klanghelm still sells more plugins at their lower regular prices.

A quick, totally unscientific comparison between the number of Google results for [Klanghelm Mjuc] vs [Sonimus Tuco], both vari-mu compressor offerings:

[Klanghelm Mjuc] gives 26.800 results
[Sonimus Tuco] gives only 9.190 results

Maybe [Klanghelm Mjuc] also includes a lot of results for their quite popular free edition, Mjuc jr, but even if I tell Google to subtract all the results that contain "jr"...

[klanghelm mjuc -jr] gives 12.900 results

Instabuy for me at this price. The older freeware Limiter no.6 by vladg (on which Limiter 6 GE is based) is absolutely fantastic, and if this thing is even a tiny bit better than that it's worth the price. Hell, if even just the clipper module alone is a tiny bit better it's worth the price.

Return to “Effects”