TDR Limiter 6 GE on Sale at PB

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Even U-He did a similar thing with that 50% off NI sale, so I totally understand TDR's strategy.

When does this PB Limiter 6 GE sale end?

We're really complaining about lower plugin prices????????

FabienTDR wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 am
jochicago wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:12 pm I wish we'd settle on something more reasonable. Because 60-80% discount sends a signal not to pay full price or even 20% discount when a large discount is around the corner at some point. Like with Waves, anybody paying the $200 sticker price on their new plugins is just being a fool, I don't care how much you can afford it, it's the principle of it since Waves is basically on perma-discounts on multiple outlets. (Not trying to turn this into a Waves hate thread, just pointing out as an example one of the bigger publishers creating this situation).
Your raise good questions, and in a perfect world, it would be hard to argue against them.

We generally prefer direct sales and stable prices, for obvious reasons. These also make the majority of our sales. But not all potential customers are as well informed as the KVR/GS crowd.

In order to reach these audiences, an extra PR "push" is needed, otherwise, they usually won't find or trust you. We happily outsource this to third party shops, which all make a far greater PR job then we ever wanted to do in this area. Their main lever is reduced price and have massive communities at their fingertips.
Instead of selling say, 20-30 licenses per day, they sell 2-3 per minute, reaching far more people than we ever could. It's a win win .
- We don't want eternal-promotions, and really don't intent to. These are occasional special events, Black Friday/Summer promo and a few others.

btw, our official product prices grow over time, as feature appear. Nova GE for example saw a 50% jump over time. Starting at €40, then €50, now €60. But it wouldn't be wise (for us as a company) to ignore the rather favorable customer acquisition delivered by popular shops, so we do special promos to "pay" for the service.

:wink:
Can't wait for Kotelnikov GE sale - instant buy :)

jbarish wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 pm We're really complaining about lower plugin prices????????
No, I think we are complaining about the impact (if any) that this firesale method might have of the long term security and financial well being of a company we like, and hope to see developing great plugins for a long time to come.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:35 am No, I think we are complaining about the impact (if any) that this firesale method might have of the long term security and financial well being of a company we like, and hope to see developing great plugins for a long time to come.
QFA

(edit: apologies, it means "quoted for agreement/accuracy.")
Last edited by sleepcircle on Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

morelia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:35 am
jbarish wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 pm We're really complaining about lower plugin prices????????
No, I think we are complaining about the impact (if any) that this firesale method might have of the long term security and financial well being of a company we like, and hope to see developing great plugins for a long time to come.
Even if they had no discounts there is no guarantee that any of these companies will still be around in 5 years. In fact one could argue that by not having discounts they would be losing needed capital that could keep them afloat longer. It's a ridiculous argument that's based purely on speculation. If it helps you sleep better buy 5 licenses at the sale price and only use 1.

not PURELY on speculation

anyway, while one could argue the point you proposed, i somehow don't think you're arguing it for the platonic intellectual purity of it all.

Back to the features,
Call me crazy but one of my strongest motivators to add Limiter 6 GE to my collection was the idea of using it as a dynamics toolbox across the mix. Since you can disable modules (along with their CPU usage), any module of L6GE can be used to contribute to a track.

For instance, yesterday I tried it as a taming compressor on vocals. I usually do 2 stages of compression on lead vocals, one to tame and flatten the dynamic range transparently, then something with more character like an 1176 to do the finishing touches. For my transparent flattening I'd normally use a vocal rider or an opto compressor. So in this instance I tested L6GE vs IK LA2A and BX_opto. L6GE has 4 compressor modes so there's good variety to try on different material.

I'm pleased to say that for this application I liked the Leveler mode the best, and I liked it better than what I was getting out of the LA2A. It was a tight call but I kept the BX_opto, but I would have been happy using Leveler for this application. The vocal performance wasn't sibilant but it had some ugly plosives, and the male singer has a bit of a raspy texture but in a pleasant character. The LA2A was thinning out the character of the voice and not helping me out with the plosives enough. Leveler gave me a more even control and kept the character of the voice more cleanly.

This is how I see L6GE as an every-day compressor. It's a sweet tool, with all the utilities of the output module plus the detailed metering:

limiter 6 comp_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sleepcircle wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 am not PURELY on speculation

anyway, while one could argue the point you proposed, i somehow don't think you're arguing it for the platonic intellectual purity of it all.
wow , well said .

0degree wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 pm Can't wait for Kotelnikov GE sale - instant buy :)
Afraid you missed that one.. it was the first one to go sale on PB a while ago...
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

twolegstoneworks wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:31 pm
0degree wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 pm Can't wait for Kotelnikov GE sale - instant buy :)
Afraid you missed that one.. it was the first one to go sale on PB a while ago...
:cry:

0degree wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 pm
You can buy it here for a quite cheap price:
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov-ge/

martinjuenke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 pm
Yeah I will eventually, the price is really fair

0degree wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:36 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 pm
Yeah I will eventually, the price is really fair
... and you would support a nice developer directly...

sleepcircle wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:01 am
morelia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:35 am No, I think we are complaining about the impact (if any) that this firesale method might have of the long term security and financial well being of a company we like, and hope to see developing great plugins for a long time to come.
QFA
I don't know what that means. I know we have a Queensland Feline Association here but I doubt that is it. Quality Feedback Agent? I'll just wait.

And for the record I'm not saying that I know that this is what we are arguing about. I'm also not saying I have any knowledge or opinion on how this pricing model will affect the company. It was just what I thought might be going on. However, in retrospect I regret saying anything as I'm probably wrong.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Return to “Effects”