What's the one feature your DAW has, found in no other, that you wouldn't want to live without?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure when version 3 was released, but it's been around for a while now. I just think the development has slowed significantly now, and even the beta development for version 4 has really slowed down.

it's funny but FL Studio's channel rack. The way I can just drag a sample to it and voila, it's an instrument ready for Immediate playing or sequencing. FL has it's quirks, and I fully admit that the UX / workflow is a little ADD (so am I, so I guess I can't really criticize...) but I've been coming back to it since v. 3 because it's so immediate. It's such an instrument for me, it doesn't come between me and my music in any way. The channel rack is why. It's great for all the VST stuff, sure... but when I'm in the zone and just need to get the idea down, nothing is faster than samples and FL's channel rack. Brilliant simplicity.

Muzys 3 had a kind of similar thing and I loved the CM version, but it was never as immediately playable as FL. When I went to buy it, it was taken off the market.
I don't know if Mu.Lab has it too.
I've finally stopped looking elsewhere, though, and just accepted my fate as a forever FL user.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Incremental save.

FLStudio has it.

Cubase has it.

Maybe some others do too and you can set it up.

But FL and Cubase have it from the menu.

Kinky!

Ableton don't got it. Studio One don't got it.

But fruityloops and cubase do.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 am Incremental save.
Ableton don't got it.
Live 10 saves a copy of the old version to a backup folder each time you save, you can roll back if you want to.

Studio One don't got it.
Versions.

pottering wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:25 am
Ableton don't got it.
Live 10 saves a copy of the old version to a backup folder each time you save, you can roll back if you want to.
Logic has this. Up to 10 by default. Another thing I’ve never seen elsewhere is Logic’s project and track alternatives.

Bitwig’s Grid is close to unique, but Mulab was there first.

My next great Studio One feature is dpi scaling to enlarge tiny plugins on my 4k monitor.

Life would be impossible without this feature
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:05 pm My next great Studio One feature is dpi scaling to enlarge tiny plugins on my 4k monitor.

If it possesses this feature, I'm not aware of it, or are you saying you want it? This is supposed to be about existing features.

I would like to be wrong that it’s unique to Reaper, but Reaper’s easy to use, multi-track shuffle

jontjacobi
kevvvvv wrote: ↑30 Jun 2019 16:05
My next great Studio One feature is dpi scaling to enlarge tiny plugins on my 4k monitor.
If it possesses this feature, I'm not aware of it, or are you saying you want it? This is supposed to be about existing features.
Take a look at the tab at the top of each plug loaded in studio one.

Right next to where it says "make a thumbnail of this plug" you'll see "enable dpi scaling for this plug"

It works a treat with everything.

And it remembers it for next time, so it's a once-only job.

If for any reason you want to switch it off, then return to the tab and disenable it.

on, off, on, off. It's not fussy.

Except with NI stuff and their odd wrappers.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Pretty much half the things in FL Studio. It's quite unusual in the way you go about things (in my experience), but it really works, once you get used to it. Like no other. If I can be bothered some time, I'll try to think of an actual list of things, but there's quite a few!

Not the only DAW I use, but has to be my favourite.

FL Studio Peak Controller, by a mile.
ImageImageImageImage

Just one track type for audio, MIDI and buses alike.

DAW is REAPER, of course.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Audio Voltage wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:34 pm Abletons way to randomize almost any parameter with M4L. I think this is still unique in the DAW world.
Randomize (or lock) any plugin parameter in Reaper (I believe this is written in Lua): http://kawa.works/reascript-gui-section#fx-randomaizer

yellowmix wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:13 pm
Audio Voltage wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:34 pm Abletons way to randomize almost any parameter with M4L. I think this is still unique in the DAW world.
Randomize (or lock) any plugin parameter in Reaper (I believe this is written in Lua): http://kawa.works/reascript-gui-section#fx-randomaizer
Renoise also has it.

But Live's works differently, as it has devices (not scripts) that allow easily disabling/enabling randomization and setting ranges for each parameter individually.

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/19 ... for-live-9

Since they are devices that load just like plugins in Live's system, after finding some customized randomization settings you are satisfied with, you can group it with the device that is being randomized, and save them as a nice Rack preset for that plugin or device (and you can make more than one, like one with attack/release range set higher for random pads, another set low for plucks), and not have to worry about disabling output gain or restricting filter cutoff range again.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”