Read Flyer Before Use (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11753 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 pm

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/read ... before-use

All done on my Microsoft Surface as per usual. Over 120 tracks in total including automation lanes, etc.

VST synths used:
- Kick 2
- Serum (~40 instances)
- Sylenth1 (~20 instances)
- Albino3
- TAL 101
- TAL Sampler (for the bassline post Serum rendering)
- Countless FX

Hardware used:
- Nord Lead 2x
- SH101
- Juno 106
- Roland TR09
- Roland TR08
- Access Virus C

And only now was the PC putting up a fight, hence the sign the project is complete. That said, I will be remixing with fresh ears in a month or so.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

recursive one
KVRAF
3940 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Read Flyer Before Use (Psytrance)

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:07 am

Wow, that's psy! Quality brain-melting stuff :tu:

The production is ridiculously good. You've managed with your 120 tracks pretty well.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:41 am

recursive one wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:07 am
Wow, that's psy! Quality brain-melting stuff :tu:

The production is ridiculously good. You've managed with your 120 tracks pretty well.
:hyper:

Thanks man. Many, many hours invested into this one and still a few things I’m not happy with but will revisit again in a few weeks.

Now though it’s time for a new one 8)

anoise
KVRist
201 posts since 1 Jul, 2009

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 am

Good track, but if I may, my two cents:
1. The kick and bass could be much better, they would elevate the track to another level.
2. Some elements like leads, FX, voice samples could be more wet.
Also the track is over-compressed.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 am

anoise wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 am
Good track, but if I may, my two cents:
1. The kick and bass could be much better, they would elevate the track to another level.
2. Some elements like leads, FX, voice samples could be more wet.
Also the track is over-compressed.
Thanks for the listen.

1. Yep agreed. I was EQ’ing them too much as a result of the compression and getting into a loop.
2. Again agreed. This was to be part of my adjustments. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Re compression: completely agree :D It sounds great on my monitors (good ones I might add) but literally breaks down on smaller speakers. I intend to remove all buss processing and start again there.

I appreciate the lend of your ears ;)

Bansaw
KVRian
619 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Loved the kalimba type arp at 1:41, very good creating of space.
The bass is thick and strong, lucky it only has to compete with the kick and some FX.
Love the 3:39 downer sfx. Nice.
Its basically the same thing over and over again but you maintain interest by adding a wide variety elements every few bars.
5:48 amazing! Ending might have been better.
Ive a short attention span, but you kept me interested even tho Psy is not really my thing. :tu:

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:29 pm
Loved the kalimba type arp at 1:41, very good creating of space.
The bass is thick and strong, lucky it only has to compete with the kick and some FX.
Love the 3:39 downer sfx. Nice.
Its basically the same thing over and over again but you maintain interest by adding a wide variety elements every few bars.
5:48 amazing! Ending might have been better.
Ive a short attention span, but you kept me interested even tho Psy is not really my thing. :tu:
8)

Many thanks for the listen and kind words.

I have since had a few ideas on the ending so I’ll try those tomorrow. I also had an epiphany on the mixing process so we’ll see how that turns out. If it’s a failure I’ll just quietly sweep this conversation under the carpet :D

However if it works I expect the bass to have a lot more definition and the groovy/funky parts to shine through more.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 am

Remixed to incorporate some of the feedback from above.

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/read ... before-use

Also made a new kick and bass which now thunders through.

AnX
KVRAF
4903 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

OK, you nailed the sound of the genre, but its way too repetitive

i think each section needs to be its own little story, maybe strip back and build up again, not just add a diff sound. Also, try playing a lead sound up an octave after 4 bars or something, just to add a bit of interest. To me it feels way too long as so much is repeated (or feels like it is)

the only prob i have with the mix is the kick/bass. Maybe reduce note length of bass/shorten decay?

apart from those small nit picks, very good

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:09 am

AnX wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

i think each section needs to be its own little story, maybe strip back and build up again, not just add a diff sound. Also, try playing a lead sound up an octave after 4 bars or something, just to add a bit of interest. To me it feels way too long as so much is repeated (or feels like it is)

the only prob i have with the mix is the kick/bass. Maybe reduce note length of bass/shorten decay?

Thanks man. I did toy with the idea of octave changes but every time I did so the track veered into Morning Psy (yes, rubbish genre name) territory when I wanted to remain firmly in the Forest Psy (man don’t look at me, I don’t name them :lol:) realm which is quite dark.

The kick and bass are always a nightmare and I’m never quite happy. Actually I read an interview with Raja Ram (who has been doing this for 30 odd years) where he said he was still looking for the perfect kick and bass.

Anyway started the new one last night so will apply some of these learnings to that :tu:

recursive one
KVRAF
3940 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:43 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:09 am

The kick and bass are always a nightmare and I’m never quite happy. Actually I read an interview with Raja Ram (who has been doing this for 30 odd years) where he said he was still looking for the perfect kick and bass.
This tutorial helped me a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMoh1T7_Ak

In a nutshell, for a typical kbBB pattern: bounce one bass note, copy it three times, make a separate mixer channel for the first note of the three and tweak its phase to make it blend with the kick tail better, also make its volume lower than the other two. The relative volume of this first note defines the groove.

That's actually quite simple process unless you have key changes.

I use this plugin for adjusting the phase, it's free and does the job https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fa-sam ... ward-audio
Last edited by recursive one on Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Karma_tba
KVRian
966 posts since 12 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:35 am

WOW :o I really enjoyed that! Being that it's Sunday morning here I probably pissed off my downstairs neighbors(2 family house). I suppose I could've used headphones, but what the heck. Fine job, thanks!

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
12601 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:13 am

Trucks along like a muthafuckka!! Will check out in headphones at some point, to better catch the more subtle details. Cheers :tu:

vurt
addled muppet weed
46974 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am

definitely prefer this to the one with the repetitive vocal sample ;)
perhaps not the greatest arena for listening to such a track though, sunday arvo :hihi:
but i can imagine this filling floors in some dingy sweaty room somewhere :hyper:

120 tracks :o
id have to record 120 tracks to use that many tracks :lol:

always love the mckenna, but for originality in the genre, seriously, try richard allen miller :hihi:

anyway, lovely work, even sat here, no part felt too long, so on the floor you could stretch each part for longer :hihi: (screw krim, he old!)

AnX
KVRAF
4903 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:45 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:09 am
AnX wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks man. I did toy with the idea of octave changes but every time I did so the track veered into Morning Psy (yes, rubbish genre name) territory when I wanted to remain firmly in the Forest Psy (man don’t look at me, I don’t name them :lol:) realm which is quite dark.

Anyway started the new one last night so will apply some of these learnings to that :tu:

look, its not easy, im not an expert, you did a great job, but just a couple of things caught my ear

if i made a track of that quality, i could prob wank for a week :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”