About Sending audio and mixing it back in.

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App MuLab Plugin MuVerb

So I have a an instrument rack with has a few effects one it. I send it to an "Effects Rack"with different effects on it. Then I compress the Effects rack to the Instrument rack's send audio. Then I balance it with the dry signal. The dry/wet signal then goes out to a "Effects + Guitar" rack.

My question :
1. What is the gain knob on the "send" connection on the main rack for? The rack that I'm sending it to has a Gain fader too, whats the use of the two?
2. The send audio goes out from a separate output to the effects rack, effective a "send output". Why just not use the main output have two instances of sending, one to the effects rack and one to the balancer?
3.The balancer knob cannot be seen on the compose window, and only is available in the Modular window. Is there a shortcut to that?
4. Am I doing this right? cause it takes quite some time to set up and cannot be saved as an MUX as it deals with different outs and inns, or is there a way do make a MUX out of it?
5. Putting effects after the "send output" module: Does it work on the Instrument rack only, or does it work for the rack that its sending to as well?

{screenshots attached}
PART 2.png
PART 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimp_music wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am 1. What is the gain knob on the "send" connection on the main rack for? The rack that I'm sending it to has a Gain fader too, whats the use of the two?
It's the send level. It's "post" everything above it in the rack it's in and "pre" everything in the target. In a targeted rack, the rack fader pre/post position is adjustable, of course.
Jimp_music wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am 2. The send audio goes out from a separate output to the effects rack, effective a "send output". Why just not use the main output have two instances of sending, one to the effects rack and one to the balancer?
The rack output is after all the slots and the pan/width/fader control (the position of which is adjustable). The rack main out is always "post" everything, whereas the send out is wherever you put it. How could you use the same outs? (Of course, if you do want to route exactly the same signal to two different targets, just draw that in the modular area.)
Jimp_music wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am 5. Putting effects after the "send output" module: Does it work on the Instrument rack only, or does it work for the rack that its sending to as well?
Seems to be the same as questions 1 and 2. The point of a send is to give you a position in the rack at which you want to split processing.
Jimp_music wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am 3.The balancer knob cannot be seen on the compose window, and only is available in the Modular window. Is there a shortcut to that?
You can have the modular window and compose window visible at the same time. You may find it easier to avoid mixing use of racks and the modular area, unless you really need to do it.
Jimp_music wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am 4. Am I doing this right? cause it takes quite some time to set up and cannot be saved as an MUX as it deals with different outs and inns, or is there a way do make a MUX out of it?
A simple example:
Main Audio Rack: Set the pre/post control to after the last slot, so it only affects the main outs. Set the target to "Sub-mix Rack". Now the fader controls the amount of signal that's bypassing "Send Effects Rack" that gets to "Sub-mix Rack".
Send Effects Rack: Set the pre/post control to after the last slot, so it only affects the main outs. Set the target to "Sub-mix Rack". Now the fader controls the amount of signal that gets to "Sub-mix Rack".
Sub-mix Rack: do anything here you want to apply to the mixed signal.

If you need the pre/post fader somewhere specific, you can always add a mixer strip in the last slot or add an extra rack just for the gain fader.

Thanks Mr. Peter, was helpful and informative. I think not having a balancer between the main audio output and the output of the effects rack was what had me thinking. Made a MUX for it. Will post it in Mulib.

Thanks again :tu:

Return to “MUTOOLS”