So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dubs
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:49 am
digitalboytn wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:36 am The dead parrot skit :)
A joke first made in this here thread a year ago.
Well it must be relevant then :wink:

That dead parrot skit is a classic :tu:
No auto tune...

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 am I’m still a fan of Guitar Rig... just not for guitar. Actually, never really for guitar. I always found it had a kind of sound that I didn’t like. I actually liked Amplitube more, but eventually abandoned that too in favor of a Kemper. As soon as I got that Kemper my G.A.S. for guitar stuff evaporated and I really haven’t bought anything except for a Blackstar HT-5 Dual distortion pedal. But for synths, Guitar Rig is excellent. I don’t really care if they update it as long as they keep it working.
Same here - I just use it as an effects rack and rarely use the amps. You can make some crazy patches with it that way.

GR 5 was my first introduction to all computer based guitar amp sims. I had only used the sims in Line6 pods and BOSS GT stuff. I have moved on to other amp sims since. I think GR 5 is relevant depending on the genre you are making. For hard rock & metal there are other newer generation amp sims. But GR 5 still works well for Lo-Fi and so no -- for stuff there you actually need a sound that does not sound too realistic and modern.

Here to hoping NI do actually do work on GR and release GR 6. I would look forward to upgrading.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

If i understand well, gr now sounds old? I guess the same for who is still using hardware with 10 or more years? Sorry, but I'm not really getting this... I consider gr as a device, powerful and capable of wearing a lot of hats, depending on how deep you know and use it beyond presets. Am I missing something?...
- Mario

Yes.
Hardware is very different.

Software is programmed based on the DSP knowledge at the time, the computational power available which severely influences the shortcuts/approximations/algorithms taking in the DSP programming to allow it to run reasonably on computers of the time.

rsp
sound sculptist

I think the effects sound great, some of the best effects i've heard.

If you know better (effects) then please tell me!

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 pm I think the effects sound great, some of the best effects i've heard.

not a huge fan of the gain stuff, fuzz/distortion/overdrives (well for normal use anyway, they are useful in bigger patches for non standard guitar tones) or the amps (same caveat) but everything else is top notch :tu:

I think it still sounds good. I'm no guitarist though
It's nevertheless „dead“ to me because of it's ridiculously tiny interface at modern screen resolutions. I also think they wasted a lot of potential. Maybe it's my own fault when i thought that many of their individual effects plugins will be GR compatible, as the very first few after the GR5 release seemed to indicate.
Think of possibilities with Replika, Dirt, Driver, Raum, or the Mod Pack etc. inside your GR rack
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 pm I think the effects sound great, some of the best effects i've heard.

Check out Line 6 Helix Native, Blue Cat Audio Axiom and the effects bundled with each Neural DSP amp sim for effects closer to real world pedals. Some of the quirkier GR effects are still fun though, like the Psychedelic Delay and some of the automated filtering.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I rather do think the more (ahem..) 'rockist' fraternity get too hung up on what they see as the vexed issue of tone, in isolation, without taking the longer view as to what use the sound is. My view is there's probably no such thing as a bad guitar sound; you just haven't found the context in which to use it yet.

Of course if you're not songwriting, but just want to widdle and crank out a few riffs, then I could see the rationale a bit more for the fixation on 'tone' and apeing classic sounds - you got nowt else.

exactly.
I've been listening to Metal (not exclusivlely) for most of my live. Still some albums i know of that were made using GR3 didn't sound inferior to me
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

if they do knock out a gr6, they could do a lot worse than a rerelease of the hw unit 8)

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Some of the quirkier GR effects are still fun though, like the Psychedelic Delay and some of the automated filtering.
Exactly what i thought! Thanks for the recommendations mate.

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:54 pm

not a huge fan of the gain stuff, fuzz/distortion/overdrives (well for normal use anyway, they are useful in bigger patches for non standard guitar tones) or the amps (same caveat) but everything else is top notch :tu:
I haven't even looked at the amps yet!

I don't actually play guitar.

Return to “Effects”