Catalina Compatibility

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just did a forum search for any news on MacOS Catalina compatibility and found only one result with the term. Does anyone know what the outlook is for Waveform compatibility in Catalina? As a DAW user I'm used to waiting awhile before installing a major OS update, but I'm always interested to know who anticipated it and set themselves up for success. I'm sure scrappy little plugin devs will be the last to fall in line, given their general lack of resources. Any word of what to expect from that world? Is Juce in good shape to help those devs that use the framework?

ep
[Waveform 12.0.53 on Mac Monterey 12.3.1]
Art is dangerous. It is one of the attractions: when it ceases to be dangerous, you don't want it. - Duke Ellington

I'm avoiding it like the plague for the time being, personally. Almost all the plugins i use, the companies have sent emails saying don't upgrade to Catalina, for the love of god, don't, nothing will ever work again.

So i'm going down that route, personally ...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

eg, Soundtoys, Waves, Steven Slate, Native Instruments, Plugin Alliance, Melda etc have all said don't go anywhere near Catalina, till hell freezes over

We have the new hardened runtime and notarization process in place for Waveform. I've tested on the Catalina beta and it is working. I have not tested with a large collection of plugins. I advise holding off as well.

Three more emails today, from AKAI, Air plugins and Eventide, saying Catalina is a no no

FigBug wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:03 pm We have the new hardened runtime and notarization process in place for Waveform. I've tested on the Catalina beta and it is working. I have not tested with a large collection of plugins. I advise holding off as well.
I love the computer industry. There was great debate back in the day about allowing anyone to "push" data onto your computer (ActiveX, then cookies, then...) as it would (and has) generate atrocious security issues. But in the cult of convenience, the idea of course won out, and here we are.

And I'm getting emails up the wazoo as well. Sigh.

and now i'm glad i switched to windows!! (until their next big update! lol!)

I'm on Catalina beta now. Don't see any new problems, but old ones :-)

I am seeing this error for a few plugins. You are supposed to be able to approve the plugin in Settings > Privacy & Security, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Running the command `xattr -d com.apple.quarantine SpectrumAnalyzer.vst/` will allow the plugin to load.

FigBug wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 am I am seeing this error for a few plugins. You are supposed to be able to approve the plugin in Settings > Privacy & Security, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.
Make sure the panel is unlocked (lock button along the bottom). If it is anything like the case with some drivers and the like under other recent MacOS versions, the button is enabled even with the panel locked, but it doesn't actually do anything unless you unlock the panel first. MacOS is still WAY ahead of M$, but they have admittedly slipped a fair bit since they lost Steve Jobs, and this button being enabled when the functionality is locked is a solid example of that.

Also, there is another cause for that behavior I had forgotten until I ran into it again just last night: if you are using a remote access solution or a pointing device that functions through an accessibility interface (such as a Wacom tablet) as opposed to a "normal" mouse or trackpad directly connected to the computer, that button will similarly give that same behavior.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely be waiting. Interesting to know FigBug is having some success with a few minor hacks. I use Native Instruments Reaktor a lot, so I'll be watching to see if they catch up. IK Multimedia looks like they are not making any promises yet. Also looking for a compatibility statement from Valhalla DSP. Good times!
[Waveform 12.0.53 on Mac Monterey 12.3.1]
Art is dangerous. It is one of the attractions: when it ceases to be dangerous, you don't want it. - Duke Ellington

We do not use Tracktion as a test host but all our stuff should be Catalina ready. I'd appreciate if anyone could check our demos with this software.

I ended up having issues with Catalina not recognizing Melda and a few other plugs in Waveform 9. No audio output as a result. The Tracktion DAW Essentials plugs work fine, though.

Also, for some reason, a simple Aux Return plugin mutes the audio, even when I disable it. I have to completely delete the Aux Return plugin for audio to play. I had it on a Reverb bus, so now I guess I'll have to place my actual reverb plugin on the tracks I need reverb on rather than routing it via Aux Send/Return.

I would hope previous Waveform versions (8 & 9) would still receive important updates like this to address problems like we're seeing with Catalina instead of having to upgrade to Waveform 10. W10 is a year or so old, so it's about time for another update, and I'm waiting to see what W11 will offer. Does anyone know if previous versions are still updated?

Return to “Tracktion”