Trendsetting Sampler Functions - let´s look into the Future

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I delete posts?
Last edited by GRUMP on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delete. Sry!

enroe wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:21 pm
1.b. Instruments which are triggered, but they are influenced by the player also
after the triggerpoint
. These are brass, strings and guitars. Here the picture is very
complex, there's a multitude of articulations and modulations. So it it's very
challenging to play these instruments by a sampler. However big libraries like shreddage
for guitars or VSL for strings show that it is possible and convincing.

2. construction-sampler: Here I can't say anything since this is a more experimental field, and
I guess that a synthesizer will do this job also - or even better.
Convincing? I didn´t check out the Librarys yet, but I assume that they´ll require GB of Disk Space because all the Articulations etc. rely on Samples and very complex Structures in the End.

I try to evade that in my Sounds, Complexity makes to hard to edit and you´re always working against the Limits of static Sample-Spectrums - and I have checked all lots of Methods and Plugins for spectral Editing - e. g. the mentiondes Multi Band Splitters - and after all that I think that the Potential for new and convincing Results is burried inside the Samples themselfes, and not the Complexity of Gigabyte-Constructions!

Example: Filtering a Band of Freq >7000 Hz out of something and Layer it with something else. Or bringing Parts of different Spectrums together (> IRIS 2). If you add some ENV and FX you can create 100 different Sounds out of 10 and it is always again surprising how natural and exotic the Results can be.

GRUMP wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:24 pm But why not play the real Instrument instead?
Why use a sampler at all? Why not manipulate the sound in real life instead?

I suspect your response would have some overlap with mine.

funky lime wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:10 pm
GRUMP wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:24 pm But why not play the real Instrument instead?
Why use a sampler at all? Why not manipulate the sound in real life instead?

I suspect your response would have some overlap with mine.
You´re kidding, aren´t you? Manipulating Sounds is maybe possible in "Second Life" and other VR Games, but here on earth we can only do that as long we are alife :/

btw I don´t use Samplers for Accoustic Instruments. I never have. OK in 1997 I played a little bit on the Piano Sound when I got my ASR, already tested Eagle and Raven on HAL and yes - I mean these String-Pads in the 90s and some Funk-Guitar and Wah Samples sometimes. But no - believe me - I´d better learn Singing myself or try to look like Iggy Pop!

@enroe

Serato Sample can do both. You can take an audio file, load it and trim it to a basic one-shot hit (like one note from a piano within that sequence) and then map that sound over multiple keys to play chromatically. Due to the very good Serato pitch shift algorithm you can really play it without too many of the typical artefacts. I think Iris can do that too.

But Serato excels at the kind of sampling that was made famous by HipHop / Boom Bap beatmakers and adjacent genres like Trip Hop, where you create an entirely new beat soundscape from chopped up samples of different origins. Not this boring rompler / synth-substitute sampling, but the real sampling that evolved from the crate digging / vinyl collectors culture.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 pm @enroe

Serato Sample can do both. You can take an audio file, load it and trim it to a basic one-shot hit (like one note from a piano within that sequence) and then map that sound over multiple keys to play chromatically. Due to the very good Serato pitch shift algorithm you can really play it without too many of the typical artefacts. I think Iris can do that too.

But Serato excels at the kind of sampling that was made famous by HipHop / Boom Bap beatmakers and adjacent genres like Trip Hop, where you create an entirely new beat soundscape from chopped up samples of different origins. Not this boring rompler / synth-substitute sampling, but the real sampling that evolved from the crate digging / vinyl collectors culture.
I suppose that those people knew what ADSR is (not AR) and that their work depends very much on destructive Functions like Truncating and Normalising. I just stepped into SSamps Manual and asked myself if the developers are Spartanians (those ancient Greeks who are famous for their Simplicity) :/

But OK - HAL does also not support destructive Editing and Kontakt can´t even sample.

Anyway ... I really wonder why so many BoomBaps still got an MPC besides their PAWG in their bedroom if there´s such a cheap Alternative out there :/

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”