SMPTE Generator ?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I would like to know if someone knows a plug-in or another way to generate SMPTE out of Waveform to synchronise an external hard drive recorder on it ?

Thanks.

Tracktion team ?

I haven't done that in a long time, but isn't that capability something that is built into some MIDI interfaces? Way back, I used to have a MusicQuest MIDI interface that had that capability...

If you have one, then I guess the next question is - Is there a way to assign which one is the SMTPE "master"; and can Waveform be configured as master or slave?
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

I used to have an external box that would receive MIDI Time Code and output SMPTE. I don't think that there are many DAWS that can output SMTPE directly, but you can generate a SMPTE WAV file with the following website and then just drag that into Waveform as an audio track:

http://elteesee.pehrhovey.net
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

is it a repeated, bidirectional job?
else you might well record or dump everything in the HD recorder into waveform tracks or just WAV files in the computer and forget the whole device. it would be great if it has a working direct interface and an operating system driver to dump content into a computer. just thinking 90ies era when we used to do that..

Thanks for this link. I found it some days ago yes...
In my case, it would be to synchronise an old Mackie HDR considering Waveform as the master.
It should work with the SMPTE audio file, yes.
An old 3M79 24 tracks tape machine would be recorded on the HDR and I would get the files back in Waveform just after the record, yes.

The HDR can out a MTC signal. If I had a MIDI to USB converter to get the signal back in to Waveform, would the DAW be able to synchronise in the other way ? Anyone tried it ?

I think when you use the AES/EBU digital output to transfer recordings from the HDR to the computer, you won't require any extra sync, right? the interface itself syncs for what it has to do.
if no better solution, it does not matter when you transfer the tracks one by one. they are digital already, and have a fixed count of samples.
the USB interface must have an AES/EBU input, if I understand the situation correctly, that's the way to go.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/speci ... r-edition/
they say you can use FTP which means very simple transfer via normal computer LAN.
that type of HDR seems to have some Ethernet LAN connection socket.
also, you can add some hardware options with more interface capabilities.

option number three:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/macki ... -disk.html
Backup for the HDR is in the form of removable 20 GB drives that are relatively inexpensive at $199 each. You can actually use any IDE drive for backup, ...
very probably it records in some FAT format and you can plug the backup drive into any computer, and get the data.

Return to “Tracktion”