Email from Apple about Catalina :)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm
Youlean wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:41 pm No problem.
OK, so we should report anyone that goes off topics from now own, right?
No one likes being the person who is the "straw that broke the camels back", but I can imagine being a moderator here is pretty hard? Someone reported your post, which I also find odd as it's nowhere near the most inflammatory.
There are plenty of worse examples of just plain flame baiting in this thread no doubt, like this.
The force within applemmings is stubborn.
But at some point it has to stop. That's not debate, that's just bully tactics. Great meter BTW, bought it as soon as it came out.
Thanks for clearing this up. I am not that familiar with the KVR rules since I am not posting here that often.

Also, thanks for the purchase! :D

My view as an iOS/macOS app/plugin developer. Some of this discussion seems to revolve around legacy technologies.

Imagine you are one of the few engineers that maintain OpenGL, 32-bit support, or any other legacy technology. It's utterly boring work. You're keeping something going that is less and less relevant. It's not good for your career, morale, or general happiness. Hopefully it isn't your entire job.

Migrating to new technologies can be a pain, but think of the person on the other end maintaining the old stuff.

So for the most part I disagree with the OP, but I'm also uncomfortable with the degree to which he was beaten up for expressing his view.

There also is some discussion about Apple's security model, which involves them signing all software. I prefer technical solutions to security which don't involve centralized control. Sandboxing, for example, is great. But Apple can be heavy handed, such as not allowing entitlements for JITting, which has antitrust implications, since it's not possible to create a web browser that outperforms mobile Safari wrt javascript performance.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”